Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Towing with a Q7

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you guys bought your ball mount that slides into the tow hitch mounted to your vehicle, did you get the class 3 ball mount that is so common at the U-haul stores or go with class 4? I think class 3 gets you 7500 pound GTW which should work ok?

I'm glad to see your posts on weights to the boat and trailer. I wasn't sure what a class 3 trailer weighed and looked like, seeing a picture puts things into perspective.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q7V8
I'm towing a 6,100 lb trailer without any issue with my Q7 4.2, except last week when thermostat fail after 7 years. Just replaced by a new one and ok. I towed it also with my Cayenne 04 3.2 for 5 years, even in Florida at 109F in the dash display.
That's quite some set-up :-)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Out of interest, have you all got the factory tow package? Is it OK without that option?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by webtechy
Out of interest, have you all got the factory tow package? Is it OK without that option?
Yes I have the factory tow package. Not sure about installing an aftermarket hitch,, Im sure it will be fine the only thing to keep in mind is the cooling systems. With the factory system all the cooling has been upgraded. I guess it all depends on what your towing, how heavy and the climate. I would ask your local dealer. Good Luck
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take the 'cooling upgrade' as part of the factory tow-bar installation with a rather large dose of scepticism. What would Audi uprate to provide greater cooling I doubt it's a different rad or transmission cooling so what else would be likely to have been changed?
It would be interesting to see where parts differ in the dealer catalogue for when the factory tow-bar is fitted.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I pull my trailer with this wonderfull hitch Equal-i-zerŽ Hitch - The ?American Original? with 4-Point Sway Control? and Weight Distribution model 1000lbs/10,000lbs and I use a Tekonsha P3 brake controler. I'm using this kit since 5 years and have fun to haul...
Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I pulled my Malibu VLX over a 4000 ft. mountain pass this weekend in 85' temps with zero issues. Temps stayed at normal operating range. I did find that when pulling in the steeper sections of the pass putting the trans in sport mode worked best. It keeps you in the higher rpm rages needed to keep your speed up. Coming down the pass was no problem either, the brakes did great and the stability of the Q7 and trailer were great.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I would take the 'cooling upgrade' as part of the factory tow-bar installation with a rather large dose of scepticism. What would Audi uprate to provide greater cooling I doubt it's a different rad or transmission cooling so what else would be likely to have been changed?It would be interesting to see where parts differ in the dealer catalogue for when the factory tow-bar is fitted.

when you look at engine parts there is a designation for "with tow package" and i believe this is for the auxiliary radiator, larger radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler and i THINK a different water pump but uncertain of the water pump just something i read on another forum.

in addition to the hardware the tow package communicates with adaptive suspension, the brake controller and the lights.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default How to tell if Factory Towing Package???

Originally Posted by iconoclast
when you look at engine parts there is a designation for "with tow package" and i believe this is for the auxiliary radiator, larger radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler and i THINK a different water pump but uncertain of the water pump just something i read on another forum.

in addition to the hardware the tow package communicates with adaptive suspension, the brake controller and the lights.
So I need some quick help, guys. I found the perfect rig (Used 2013 Q7 TDI Premium Plus) for me and the wife to tow our travel trailer, but I live in the mountains and I need to know for sure that it has the factory installed tow package so I can benefit from the transmission cooler, etc. I want to make sure before I buy it. The tow hitch on the back of the rig looks OEM, but it does not have any wiring harness connected, just the plate that you can remove to install one.

I did a VIN check online, but it does not show me details about what options came on the vehicle from the factory. The dealer does not have the original window sticker.

Can anyone please tell me how to check the rig to ensure that the tow hitch is factory installed, or just an OEM hitch installed at the dealer?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

are you purchasing from an audi dealer? if so they can reprint the sticker or at a minimum provide you factory options on the vehicle.

if not contact AOA and provide them with the vin and they can tell you which factory options it has.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Q7