Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Towing with a Q7

Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking rig! What is the weight of the Caravan as you call it as well as the tongue weight?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pburleson
Great looking rig! What is the weight of the Caravan as you call it as well as the tongue weight?
My caravan weights around 1900kg .
The max i can tow (braked) is 3500kg
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what brake controller are you guys using? Links?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Petee_c
Non.. Its built into the chassis of the caravan
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/ha...m-handbook.pdf
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is what I use http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prodphoto/90195.gif
It's a nice simple set up and work great. I even made it so it's removable when not needed and no left over hardware (minimal) that can be seen.

Sorry to cross post but the last post in this thread is my break controller set up.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi...nstall-190863/

Last edited by Poncherelly; 05-20-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
This is what I use http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prodphoto/90195.gif
It's a nice simple set up and work great. I even made it so it's removable when not needed and no left over hardware (minimal) that can be seen.

Sorry to cross post but the last post in this thread is my break controller set up.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi...nstall-190863/
Thanks.

I've been doing some reading on the q7 and brake controllers. I have a 2011 q7 tdi. Looks like the install is fairly straight forward since the vehicle came with a hitch and 7 way trailer connector at the back.

Some work under the dash with the 4 wire connector, and looking in the spare tire well for a 2 prong connector that needs to be reconnected?

Our q7 TDI was a CPO that we bought in Sept 2012. Apparently it had an aftermarket brake controller, but the dealership removed it as part of the CPO process

I'm in Canada, so not sure about availability of the tekonsha brake controller. Would any proportional brake controller work? Locally, there is a Hopkins one that seems to do the trick.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Petee, No need to look for the two prong connector in the spare tire well. It's already connected, if the towing package was installed at the factory.

The Tekonsha P3 is certainly available in Canada. I know for a fact that it's available in Australia, another part of the British Commonwealth.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 05-21-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.

I've been doing some reading on the q7 and brake controllers. I have a 2011 q7 tdi. Looks like the install is fairly straight forward since the vehicle came with a hitch and 7 way trailer connector at the back.

Some work under the dash with the 4 wire connector, and looking in the spare tire well for a 2 prong connector that needs to be reconnected?

Our q7 TDI was a CPO that we bought in Sept 2012. Apparently it had an aftermarket brake controller, but the dealership removed it as part of the CPO process

I'm in Canada, so not sure about availability of the tekonsha brake controller. Would any proportional brake controller work? Locally, there is a Hopkins one that seems to do the trick.
I've put the full towing package in myself on my q5 and the q7 was done at the factory. In neither case did I have to go looking for any additional connectors apart from the 4 prong under the dash.

You can buy the connector at your dealer for about $8 (is what I paid in canada) and its simple enough to wire up. If you need help, I can provide guidance there also.

As for the P3, I bought mine and had it shipped from a US distributor to save some money. I'm sure you can have a local shop bring it in for you also though.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dutch and Poncherelly,

Thanks for the replies.

I found a Hopkins Agility proportional/inertial brake controller on ebay for <$70 after shipping. I think I am going to go for that one. It looks to get good reviews. Some of the towing/rv forums are poo-pooing the newest Tekonsha controllers. all to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't currently have anything that I own that requires the brakes. On my own, we just have a small utility/motorcycle trailer, axle is only rated to 2000lbs, no brakes on it.

My FIL has a boat trailer with a 3800lb boat, might offer to trailer it back home in the fall. We might experiment with travel trailering, and rent a trailer for a weekend sometime. My dad's boat and trailer is probably 3500lbs max, but it has surge hydraulic brakes. A marine in Bala puts it in the water for him and takes it out for winter storage.

Peter
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dutch and Poncherelly,

Thanks for the replies.

I found a Hopkins Agility proportional/inertial brake controller on ebay for <$70 after shipping. I think I am going to go for that one. It looks to get good reviews. Some of the towing/rv forums are poo-pooing the newest Tekonsha controllers. all to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't currently have anything that I own that requires the brakes. On my own, we just have a small utility/motorcycle trailer, axle is only rated to 2000lbs, no brakes on it.

My FIL has a boat trailer with a 3800lb boat, might offer to trailer it back home in the fall. We might experiment with travel trailering, and rent a trailer for a weekend sometime. My dad's boat and trailer is probably 3500lbs max, but it has surge hydraulic brakes. A marine in Bala puts it in the water for him and takes it out for winter storage.

Peter
No worries and best of luck with your towing .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing with a Q7