Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

So I just installed aftermarket running boards.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, since there are some folks here that are interested......i'll share my experience installing the romik running boards that Q7er has.

as a preface, i am not much of a "handyman" at all, with very little knowledge about the mechanical areas of a car.

running boards came yesterday. the instructions that came with the boards weren't great, but if you spend some time studying it, you'll be able to figure it out.

the installation process went smooth, once you locate the holes where to insert the bolts. no drilling was required. you just need to insert the bolts into some pre-cut holes that are already under the car. then screw the running board brackets onto the bolts. definitely helps if you have a 2nd person there to help hold the brackets while screwing them in.

i ended up installing it myself without help. took my sweet time to ensure i got everything right and didn't mess anything up. took me about 3 hours just to do the passenger side. i haven't done the driver side yet - tonight's project! but i'm confident now that i have done 1 side, i can do the other in under 1.5 hours since i know exactly what to do, the location of the holes, etc.

the one minor complaint i have about the boards is that they don't come out very much. in other words, it's only a few inches out of the side, so you can only put 1/2 of your foot on it. (not a big deal overall as we got the boards more for the looks rather than practical use of it - with the exception of our 4 year-old to climb into the car. his foot is smaller anyways, so it'll work out.)

overall, i'd recommend these boards. i was very concerned initially about the installation process, but went much easier than i had expected. again, this is coming from a "non-handyman".
Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for info and please post pics when done. Also, Romik has extensions that would move the boards out 2".
http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/romik-extension-kit.aspx
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested in these, anyone know if the stock jack is useable with the Romik boards? The OEM boards specify you need a different jack--considering Audi prices that could be pricey....
Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default no jack needed

do you know where the jack points are? haven't used the jack yet, but i could try it if you tell me where the jacking points are.

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
Interested in these, anyone know if the stock jack is useable with the Romik boards? The OEM boards specify you need a different jack--considering Audi prices that could be pricey....
Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I decided to add the 2" extensions to get better footing using the running boards. I think it still looks pretty good and now is much more functional.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Dr99,
Love your color, but it was non existence in 08 when I got my car. The running board looks great with 2 extra inches, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

they sell the 2 inch extensions.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Great--any pics of the install process or the underside? I am still trying to find out if the stock jack works with these boards, as reported, Audi boards require a different jack (a problem when trying to change a flat etc).
Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I picked up the 2" Romik extensions from Jegs.

Assuming its not wet this weekend, I'll try and take a few pics underneath. The Romik's bolt on using holes that are already there, but plugged. Install was a couple hours for two people, an impact wrench, but no lift. I put the extensions on myself with ramps.

I haven't even looked to see where the standard jack lifts the car. I'll try to check that out if I have time.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
Looks Great--any pics of the install process or the underside? I am still trying to find out if the stock jack works with these boards, as reported, Audi boards require a different jack (a problem when trying to change a flat etc).
i also have the romik boards installed, but WITHOUT the 2 inch extensions. (see my write-up below regarding installation.) the stock jack will NOT work with these running boards.

i just took a look under the car and tried to jack with the stock jack: basically, the running board itself blocks the stock jack since the stock jack is angled from the jack point under the car to the side of the car. the running board blocks the jack as it is raised, and doesn't provide clearance. with 2 inch extensions, the problem is even worse as you now need an additional 2 inches of clearance. since it doesn't even work without the extensions, there is no way in hell it'll work with the extensions.

however, i took a look at the design of the alternate jack that audi sells specifically for Q7s with running boards. these are scissor-like where it isn't angled, but rather it's diamond shaped and as the jack is raised, only the top (center point) of the diamond raises, so you don't have a clearance problem. (these are similar to the jack that i had for my old accord.)

i just ordered the alternate jack set right now..... found it on a site for about $55!!! (most places sell it for like $130 or so.) the way i picture it is..... you could pay $1500 or so for the OEM running boards. or just take the jack as part of the Romik running board cost plus $55 or so. this ends up being about $535 since the boards are about $480. all things considered.....not bad for only $55 extra for the jack - it's not a hefty, hefty amount.

Quick Reply: So I just installed aftermarket running boards.