Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New (to me) Q7

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 PM
ERS
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) Q7

Hi all, I just Picked up a 2007 Q7 Premium 3.6 and have some questions. Im new to Audi but Ive had VW's my whole driving career thus far, so Audi was a natural progression for me when it came time for a family SUV. Im loving it so far!

First, Id like to integrate my IPhone to the MMI. From the research Ive done so far, an AMI retrofit (10/06 build date), or Dension Gateway500 seem to be the only options. What are the pros and cons of each and which is more affordable?

I have some kind of dock or station in the armrest, can someone tell me what this is? Is it AMI that is already fitted to my Q7 and I just need the missing pieces?

Name:  E7307F31-AE35-4E22-B393-A97084379348_zpsrt2jy7vs.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  67.3 KB

Secondly, regarding MMI and nav updates. I understand I need to update the MMI firmware, Im on ver. 4xxx, in order to use the nav map dvd update. Is this correct? Is there anything else needed? What is the best source for these updates?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully I get pointed in the right direction and I can put a stop to the confusion. Ive already learned a ton from this site, but feel I much need to further my education. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the dock in the armrest is just a base for a phone adaptor. I doubt you can get hold of one for any of the later iPhones so it probably not worth doing anything with.
If you go for the AMI it comes with Bluetooth so you get music from USB - memory stick or SSD drive etc... as well as phone functionality - no music from the phone via BT though.

I would order the MMI update through the dealer - they will be quite cheap - it was £13 for me here in the UK, then you can get hold of an updated NAV dvd from any legitimate source (of course).
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM
ERS
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great, thanks for the input!

Whats the best source for the AMI retro fit kit, the dealership?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just bought the same car and was wondering what that was as well. Anyone know how to play my own music on the MMS through usb or phone in further detail?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On my A8, I bought a brand new OEM kit on Ebay but I think things like that are more readily available over here. Some UK sellers will ship to the US though.
You just need the part numbers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Music...item19ed7368ee

For the Q7 you will also need the mounting case which fits under the centre arm rest and hinges up to allow access to the recess for your memory stick/phone etc...
Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM
ERS
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by IRL2DXB
Just bought the same car and was wondering what that was as well. Anyone know how to play my own music on the MMS through usb or phone in further detail?
From the research I've done there's no really easy or cheap solution to use MMI to control your MP3 or ipod/iphone whatever. You'll need the Audi AMI (Audi Music Interface). If your Q7 is a 2007 with a build date of 11/06 or later, AMI is plug and play, but earlier cars like mine, 10/06 build date, will require the AMI retrofit kit witch is more expensive and a bit more involved installation unfortunatly.

My plan is to update the MMI firmware first, I'm on v2740. I think you'll need newer version MMI firmware to control the AMI. Get the newest Navigation maps. Then do the AMI retrofit for my IPhone. It will be costly but from what Ive read it will be worth it in the end.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 PM
ERS
AudiWorld Newcomer

Another question, I'm trying to update my MMI 2g, I'm currently on version 2740. Do I need to have vag com or a scanner to complete the update? If so, where can I get one?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Have a look at the cost of the CD set from your dealer - the parts dept. should be able to order what you need.
I suspect from 2740 you may need to do an intermediate update first but they should be able help... the CD sets are not expensive.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:41 PM
ERS
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Edd W
Have a look at the cost of the CD set from your dealer - the parts dept. should be able to order what you need.
I suspect from 2740 you may need to do an intermediate update first but they should be able help... the CD sets are not expensive.
I went to the dealer yesterday and they wouldn't sell me the update cd's. They said it needed to be on the scanner to input info, and would charge me 3hrs labor plus parts to do the update, not including a map update either which is another $250. So I'm definitely not going that route, found another way to get what I need.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Probably time to change dealer if you can as well!

Quick Reply: New (to me) Q7