Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 locks itself with keys inside (and my 2 year old)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have one of these emergency keys, keep it in your wallet.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig Chelius
This just happened to my wife and 2 yr old son last week. She set her bag down with the key inside on the front seat, then loaded my son into his car seat. As she walked around to the driver's door he locked the car with his foot. It was about 95 degrees outside (god knows how hot inside the car), and despite his best efforts to unlock himself from his car seat, the little wasn't able to get the chest buckle undone, so my wife had to call 911. An ambulance and fire truck showed up, and as they struggled to slim jim the lock basically told my wife if they couldn't get it open in the next couple of minutes, they would have to break the window. Luckily they were able to get it open without breaking anything, and my son, although drenched in sweat from head to toe, was fine.

iNfiNkC - what do you mean by door cards? Do you have any pics of what you did? I would like to prevent this from ever happening again.

Thanks!
Name:  Q7_rear_door.jpg
Views: 17176
Size:  55.1 KB

here is a picture i found online of what to remove and where the screws are located. once removed you just unplug the switch from the door.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Or you could just figure out how this was done:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2854311
Old 09-24-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Or you could just figure out how this was done:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2854311
Great, well i can tell you what probably happened. Audi on the newer designs like the Q7 use fixed tracks that are pre adjusted in the frame. The window actually just clicks into these plastic tabs now on the window regulator. Someone recently broke my window on the Q so i replaced it myself, you just put it in from the outside into the track and snap the glass into the plastic clips. I can see if you pull the window out from the top of the track, and pull real hard upwards, the window will come out of the plastic clips, hense a missing window. Pretty scary that this happened, hope more dont follow.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iNfiNkC
here is a picture i found online of what to remove and where the screws are located. once removed you just unplug the switch from the door.
Thank you!!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did the dealer have a resolution for you? This has happened to me multiple times, but once without a kids in the car so I am positive they didn't push the lock button, yet the dealership is saying they can't replicate it so they can't fix it. I'm just wondering if you were given a solution, or if I just need to carry my keys with me at all times or get a new car.
Originally Posted by gregtay
Okay.. interesting issue.. about a month ago my wife let me know that when she got home she got out the Q7 and when she closed the drivers door the car beeped and locked... but her purse (with the key) were still inside along with my 2 year old. She had no idea why that happened and when inside got the spare key and unlocked it. I found the story interesting but figured it was just some strange combo of things that happened (and I know if NFC is turned on on her phone it can mess with the cars ability to detect the key if they are next to each other.

I then had it happen to me once in the garage but I didn't take the time to figure out what was going on.. my wife had the extra key on her and we just unlocked it. Well.. I should have taken it to the dealer...

yesterday I get a call from my wife standing in the parking lot of the gym freaking out. She opened the rear door, loaded up our 2 year old, dropped her gym bag (with the key) in the passenger seat, then shut the door so that she could walk around and get in. When the door closed the doors locked, car beeped.. and now the key and our 2 year old were locked in (on a nice 80 degree day) And to make things worse.. the spare key (my key) happened to be in the center console... so both keys were locked inside. Yikes. No clue what is going on. The car shouldn't lock itself and it certainly should lock if the keys are inside.

I called 911 (that is what Audi told me to do) and they came and helped out. Had a tow truck and our local audi dealer show up to help out and they managed to use a pole to hit the trunk-open button on the remote on my key. All is well.. kid is fine as it was early and didn't get all that hot.

I am going to run the car to the dealer so they can figure this out but anyone out there have any clue as to what is going on?.. and how the car would lock itself AND lock with the keys inside? We checked and there is no way anything hit the "lock" button my wife's key in her gym bag.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I noticed also when we are out if my husband is driving and uses his keys to lock the door and I keep my in my purse. If I don't take my purse with me and the keys are still inside the car the doors will lock even if my set of keys are inside the car. This was strange to me since my other truck would lock all the doors except the drivers door if the keys were left inside.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:06 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

We have a Q5 and found that our car is smart and will not let you lock the doors via the outside handle button if they key is inside the passenger area. BUT if you were to walk up to an already locked car and open the trunk via the key fob (without pressing the unlock button first), load the groceries or items into the trunk, mistakenly set your keys down on the floor of the trunk also while you are loading groceries, and then press the trunk close button....Then you will hear the "chirp" as you have just successfully locked your keys in the car.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

According to my 2013 A6 manual, the trunk lid will not lock if the key is left inside the luggage area. Same if it's left inside the passenger compartment. Having done it a few times, I've confirmed this is the case.

Quick Reply: Q7 locks itself with keys inside (and my 2 year old)