Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

q7-cold start noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I would think it is safe to drive and apart from a minute possibility that the chain could break or jump, it will not do any harm to the camshafts or any other components.

I am surprised that the chain tensioner is failing at such a low mileage.
Can't believe my luck.

So cheesed of is an understatement.

Best to take money and run?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have to agree with Edd, your car is safe to drive...

On my second Q (2007, 2011 both S-Lines), both have a slight sound when starting under very cold conditions. Mine have not been Diesel, but to me the sound I hear sounds like a Diesel engine startup versus Gas engine, for maybe couple of seconds, I have always simply thought it was just an Audi characteristic. If something major you would know for sure....

At 23K is it still under Warranty ? If so just drive it, let Audi take care of it if and when something real breaks...

Just my two cents..
Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really cannot chip in with any more, you have to make your decision and go with it. If you like the car stick with it, if not, try to recoup your expenditure.....
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a normal occurrence. Every car manufacture out there has engines that are noisy on startup and they state its totally normal, cars go 200k miles without any internal problems making the noise. Its just the seconds of no oil pressure and that the chain tensioners are pumping up at cold start. What oil are you using? Theres special 5w30 synthetic oil special for these TDI engines. Stop worrying about it, every VW Audi 1.8T, 2.8, 2.7, 3.2, 4.2, W8 makes this noise on cold start, if it has timing chains its going to make noise the first few moments of operation. Some manufactures use ratchet type tensioners that tend to not have this issue.

Noise doesnt mean damage or a problem. Example, Many American and Japanese engines have short piston skirts for better emissions but makes an ugly knocking on cold start for a few minutes. Engines go 200+k miles and never any cylinder wear.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 02-18-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
This is a normal occurrence. Every car manufacture out there has engines that are noisy on startup and they state its totally normal, cars go 200k miles without any internal problems making the noise. Its just the seconds of no oil pressure and that the chain tensioners are pumping up at cold start. What oil are you using? Theres special 5w30 synthetic oil special for these TDI engines. Stop worrying about it, every VW Audi 1.8T, 2.8, 2.7, 3.2, 4.2, W8 makes this noise on cold start, if it has timing chains its going to make noise the first few moments of operation. Some manufactures use ratchet type tensioners that tend to not have this issue.

Noise doesnt mean damage or a problem. Example, Many American and Japanese engines have short piston skirts for better emissions but makes an ugly knocking on cold start for a few minutes. Engines go 200+k miles and never any cylinder wear.
Hi there

Had confirmation from another main dealer chain and tensioners need changing. Chain had major slack.

Now this opens questions what the selling main dealer had checked for a week and a half.

Thinking of giving it back. Lost total trust of the initial dealer and whatever they did or said they did.

Regards
Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by q7nick
Hi there

Had confirmation from another main dealer chain and tensioners need changing. Chain had major slack.

Now this opens questions what the selling main dealer had checked for a week and a half.

Thinking of giving it back. Lost total trust of the initial dealer and whatever they did or said they did.

Regards
Soo they tore the entire thing apart and say chains have slack. I sure find this hard to believe with 23k miles. But hey there are factory defect and sorry you were the rare 1% that got the defect but its showing its face early and you should just have it repaired and move on and enjoy the car. The car is under warranty right? I also recommend finding another dealer/shop to service your car just for your own sake or happiness.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Soo they tore the entire thing apart and say chains have slack. I sure find this hard to believe with 23k miles. But hey there are factory defect and sorry you were the rare 1% that got the defect but its showing its face early and you should just have it repaired and move on and enjoy the car. The car is under warranty right? I also recommend finding another dealer/shop to service your car just for your own sake or happiness.
Yep car is under warranty but only for another 8months.

Lost total trust and with the initial dealer steeling items and saying they did stuff when obviously they did not, just has zero trust in the car. If they source another, then will there be cause of concern on the chain again? Or get my fixed and have new chain. Only issue little reminders of surface scratches initial dealer did and just reminds me every time what they did to us
Old 02-23-2014, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This issue is problem with my Q7 2011 3.0L. Based on you discussion and input I will have it examined by my dealer. I have noticed the problem started since the car was about 3 months old. It occurs most of the time during cold starts in the morning. It seems like for a fraction of second oil is not getting to the internal mechanisms of the engine. I am very concerned about weare and tare to engine components.

I have reported thi issue to my dealership but they do not seem to be very concerned about it. I have even reported it in their questionnaire of satisfaction typically provided to all customers, which is used to rate every dealership as well as the car you purchased.

I am thinking of putting in writing to the owner of the dealership and copying the main factory. I am afraid that as we all know "grinding sounds" do not go away by themselves or get any better.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jorge Holguin
This issue is problem with my Q7 2011 3.0L. Based on you discussion and input I will have it examined by my dealer. I have noticed the problem started since the car was about 3 months old. It occurs most of the time during cold starts in the morning. It seems like for a fraction of second oil is not getting to the internal mechanisms of the engine. I am very concerned about weare and tare to engine components.

I have reported thi issue to my dealership but they do not seem to be very concerned about it. I have even reported it in their questionnaire of satisfaction typically provided to all customers, which is used to rate every dealership as well as the car you purchased.

I am thinking of putting in writing to the owner of the dealership and copying the main factory. I am afraid that as we all know "grinding sounds" do not go away by themselves or get any better.
Hi there

Sorry to hear that you may have the same issues. Where about are you based? In the United Kingdom?

Go to another main dealer and get them to hear the noise and do further tests. Like I did and they confirmed that there was slack in the timing chain. Very rare on a vehicle with only 23k miles so they have put it down to a failed part.

Mine is still at the dealers and wont be repaired until the end of the week. Every time I speak to someone at Audi, I seem to upset them for some reason. They are also looking at sourcing another vehicle of which I have requested the vehicle from another Audi Franchise Group. I just feel that if I am going to pay all that money, then I would prefer to pay it to a company that will be able to assist in times of need. Like this. Instead of lies and trying to put it down to characteristics. They also stole item from my vehicle and now Audi seem to accept that this is ok.

So take it an get a second opinion but mine was confirmed as having slack in the chain. Tensioners and chain due to be changed next week.

We allowed to name and shame dealers?

Regards