Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 Q7 TDI Premium plus feature questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q7 TDI Premium plus feature questions

So we drove lots of SUVs and crossovers and fell in love with the Q7. It is a bit of a reach for our comfort zone so I am bringing in a used 2012 Q7 Premium plus in a diesel that has 11K miles on it. This should be here in a few weeks. Embarrassingly, I am having a hard time determining the differences to the 2014 model we drove.

1) The 2012 has navigation (from the premium plus pack I assume) so does it have that google earth view? Not sure if the subscription will be worth it though. Hopefully the nav works without it.

2) I assume it doesn't have keyless entry or start as it wasn't listed, so you use a key to insert and physically unlock the door? Surely the FOB can from a few feet away?

3) The ad listed parking sensor....I assume that is some beeping and not the very cool 360 degree camera system the 2014 had?

4) Would 20 inch tires be indicative of any other packages besides premium plus being on there?

5) Viper smart start work in these?

6) Anything I should watch out for?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I can't find a reliable site (one said the 0-60 time was over 15 seconds!!) that lists base features, package features, and not sure if it has anything other than premium plus.

Thanks, we can't wit to get it!!!

Bob
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bob and Welcome!
I've had two of these things and we're still very much in love with the Q7. I have a '11 TDi Prestige so I'll answer as best as I can.

1. I believe the 2012 is the first year for Goggle Earth View. I would assume w/out the subscription you'll still have the standard hard drive based system.

2. You'll still have a key fob with a remote control for unlocking and locking the doors plus opening the hatch.

3. I'm not sure if the 2012 has the 360 degree view but you will get a rear view camera with proximity warnings both aurally and visually on the screen.

4. Audi changes up the packages pretty regularly so it would be hard to tell if the 20" wheels are in addition to anything else. Usually, the S-Line package would include 21" wheels..

5. That would be tough. This thing is like HAL 9000 and I don't think it would play nice with an aftermarket remote start system. I'm not an expert but I would not recommend one.

6. I would consider an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car for a while. There is no hurry because I believe you have up and until your factory warranty runs put to purchase one. These vehicles can be very expensive to repair.

Have fun!

PS. Most Q7's seem to pull to the right slightly. Don't know why but they do.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Paul. On the extended warranty I have been researching that. It is just so hard to determine what they cover.

Pulls to the right? Every car has its quirks I guess!!

We can't wait to get t, and do hope it is one we will love for years to come.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bspooky
Thanks Paul. On the extended warranty I have been researching that. It is just so hard to determine what they cover.

Pulls to the right? Every car has its quirks I guess!!

We can't wait to get t, and do hope it is one we will love for years to come.
I have a 2013 TDI Premium Plus. Regarding 360 view, I doubt that is available without Prestige package.

I'd be interested to hear what you learn about remote start. Basic search I have done says not likely or very expensive. I am hoping for better as that would be a shame on a $60k vehicle.

Best of luck on your purchase!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the 360 degree view, I believe that you would need the Technology Package? I know that it is an option that can be ordered for the Premium Plus and it adds cameras that are under the side view mirrors, iirc.

Otherwise, as previously mentioned, you will only get a rear view camera, and proximity "beeping" sensors in the front and rear.

Funny how you mentioned that these cars pulled to the right. I took mine in for the first service appt and told them to check the alignment and they made a few adjustments which normally would've cost me, but the fee was waived.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MiQ7TDI
?..
I'd be interested to hear what you learn about remote start. Basic search I have done says not likely or very expensive. I am hoping for better as that would be a shame on a $60k vehicle.

Best of luck on your purchase!
Sounds like I probably won't have the 360 but it sure would be nice if it did. I did notice in photos there looks to be a piece by the bottom of the rear windows that could be the rear sunshades, and it looks like maybe individual climate controls in the back, so hoping it has the warmer weather package. Not for those features but for the darker tint in the panoramic roof, which is great to look at/out but I assume gets very hot even with the retractable cover in place.

On the remote start, we have a very well known and respected custom sound shop here that handles handles everything from normal to exotic cars. I talked to their main installer and he says it isn't a problem with a remote starter working on the Q7 as it is labor intensive to do it right. He said a full day at least. So labor, 1 button starter, and a viper auto starter (we would want both) runs a bit over a grand to do. Yikes. Plus they need to bury a key with it as Audi's encryption hasn't been hacked yet.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Snopyro
For the 360 degree view, I believe that you would need the Technology Package? I know that it is an option that can be ordered for the Premium Plus and it adds cameras that are under the side view mirrors, iirc.
On my 2013 S line Prestige with the technology package, the front forward looking / corner view camera is mounted in the bottom of the front grill - centered (nothing in the mirrors except puddle lights, turn signal indicators & side assist indicators).
Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Cadx6
On my 2013 S line Prestige with the technology package, the front forward looking / corner view camera is mounted in the bottom of the front grill - centered (nothing in the mirrors except puddle lights, turn signal indicators & side assist indicators).
Thanks for the tip. I looked at photo and confirmed no camera there. Rats. Lol