Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Need Tires - Thoughts?

Old 09-13-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan - These were my first Firestones and I had the exact same reservation. I rarely buy the same tires twice, but will with these.

Edge - You are spot on. The 5-spoke S-Line are wider and have a bigger lip than the non S-Line 20" wheels that Mikey has above.

Jimbo
Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi all... As stated, I had the Firestone Destination SE 20's installed this past Sunday. Yes.. I am the guy that took Dunkin Donuts to the crew... Food always motivates people, right? Allowed me to meet the guy doing the install. I had requested the best guy in the shop w/the most tenure. Fantastic experience... He and I chatted through the entire process. Tech took extra time and care with the rims... And removed the old sticky tape from the previous weights. An incredibly positive experience!

I left the Firestone location and hit the highway for a few miles... I could feel the difference immediately... And as I accelerated through all speeds... Up to 91... It was smooth and quiet. As if the Q7 could not be any better... It was! I now have a little over 200 miles on these tires... Fan-freaqin-tastic! I have a road trip coming up next weekend and am truly looking forward to it!

Thanks to all for the great feedback and advice.
Cheers!
-Ryan
Old 09-18-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MikeyT
... Took it to Discount Tire and they are pro rating the Pirelli's. Got the Yoko's for $168 each. Plus $75 mail in rebate. Very happy.
MikeyT, Did you get did you get the Pirelli's at Discount Tire or were they OE? Just wondering why they are pro-rating them for you. (Your 2011 doesn't seem old enough to have gone through the OE's and another set of Pirellis)

I had a bolt go through my right rear Pirelli Scorpion Zero and am being told I have to replace all 4 at only 11k miles since the treads were at 6/32 and new Pirelli's are at 10/32 which is 1/32 too much for the AWD to deal with. Being able to get something for of the remaining Pirelli's would take some of the sting out of this...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jivemire,I was experiencing vibration in the steering wheel when turning slightly it almost felt like a flat spot on the Pirelli tire.I took it to Audi and 2 of the tires could not pass road force balance. That's when I took it to Discount Tire and they pro rated all 4 and gave me $200 towards the Yokohama"s.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will these fit with the 20” Black Optic Rims?

These are looking like a bargain and exactly what I’m looking for! I live nearby in CT and need all seasons too as I don’t want to keep changing out the summer tires each year. The website says these tires will fit but just wanted to confirm if anyone has the black optic 20” rims that they’re using this tire on?

TIA!
Old 06-15-2021, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with 18" tires? I'm going to need summer tires next year.

Here's my plug for Winter Tires. In my experience (Canadian winters) All Season radials don't work well in Real winter conditions. For winter I love my Nokian Hakkepelittas. The control and peace of mind they give us is great. It *is* a minor PITA to have to swap wheels twice a year but I can flip my wheels at home in less time than the trip to the tire store takes.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyGAudi
Does anyone have any experience with 18" tires? I'm going to need summer tires next year.

Here's my plug for Winter Tires. In my experience (Canadian winters) All Season radials don't work well in Real winter conditions. For winter I love my Nokian Hakkepelittas. The control and peace of mind they give us is great. It *is* a minor PITA to have to swap wheels twice a year but I can flip my wheels at home in less time than the trip to the tire store takes.
I do the same...but as the car gets older, the wheels seem to get bigger and heavier.

Actually they do...I just bought my first set of 20s for the Cayenne...

Oh, and the "new tire" reports are amusing. Green tires will always be soft and squirmy. Pointless to post reviews just after they're bought!
Old 06-15-2021, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Morrone
These are looking like a bargain and exactly what I’m looking for! I live nearby in CT and need all seasons too as I don’t want to keep changing out the summer tires each year. The website says these tires will fit but just wanted to confirm if anyone has the black optic 20” rims that they’re using this tire on?

TIA!
Take a hard look at the Bridgestone Alenza. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dClar=Prestige

This is a really old thread, and so the tires referenced by it are much older tech-wise/compounds/materials used, etc. The Alenza is a 'newish' run-flat type tire that has now been adopted by several luxury SUV mfrs as their OEM tire, as it rides well, performs well, and offers a much better grip in modest snow than most other A/S 'performance' tires for this car. Also, we've got about 28k miles on our set and lots more treadlife left on them...expecting to get 45-50k miles out of them.

I've got a '10 with new 20"OE Pirelli Scorpion tires (old tech tire; not the Verde) that are 'bouncy' and ride hard (inflated correctly), but decent otherwise, and a '15 with the 20" Bridgestone Alenza tires A/S+ tires. I will lookup any new/compatible tires when it's time to replace, but right now I 100% plan to be purchasing the Alenza tires again for both cars, as they are quite impressive on this car and offer a very long tread life, as well as the run-flat feature. If you shop around a bit you can also get a really great price on a full set of these Alenza tires. I've seen them as low as $170/tire a couple of times (with rebates/incentives, etc.)

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 06-15-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Firestone Destination 3. 60k mileage warranty. Paid full price 3 sets ago. Great tire and last around 30k miles. Because of the warranty each subsequent set mounted costs around $650.