Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 Q7 Control unit for trailer, part# 4E0907383J

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q7 Control unit for trailer, part# 4E0907383J

I'm looking for confirmation about an 'electronic brake controller' (EBC) unit. I called Audi and they told me that with the towing packing, it comes with the controller unit for trailer, part #4E0907383J. Is this equivalent to an electronic brake controller that I would buy off the shelf? Or would I still need to purchase an EBC?

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-q...aud-4e0907383j

Thanks,
Ken
Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ken Haubner
I'm looking for confirmation about an 'electronic brake controller' (EBC) unit. I called Audi and they told me that with the towing packing, it comes with the controller unit for trailer, part #4E0907383J. Is this equivalent to an electronic brake controller that I would buy off the shelf? Or would I still need to purchase an EBC?

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-q...aud-4e0907383j

Thanks,
Ken
I'm looking in to this myself also. I don't believe that part replaces an aftermarket electronic break controller. If this part does, it doesn't seem to have the manual break that the aftermarket ones do. Once it gets warmer here in Canada, I want to peek under my dash to see if the q7 has the same plug as my 2010 q5 did. If so, I'll be wiring in an aftermarket controller.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. All things are pointing towards purchasing an EBC, which I can do, I just didn't want to do this if was unnecessary. My initial thought was the unit I mentioned 'tells' the Q7 a trailer is being towed and it enters a 'tow-mode'. I'm finding it difficult to believe this is the case. Audi said it's a plug and play system and all I need to do is plug in the trailer and it works. However, I am thinking the EBC is plug and play to the connector under the dash, then it works.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. All things are pointing towards purchasing an EBC, which I can do, I just didn't want to do this if was unnecessary. My initial thought was the unit I mentioned 'tells' the Q7 a trailer is being towed and it enters a 'tow-mode'. I'm finding it difficult to believe this is the case. Audi said it's a plug and play system and all I need to do is plug in the trailer and it works. However, I am thinking the EBC is plug and play to the connector under the dash, then it works.
I just remembered this, in the owners manual is states that the un-brake tow max is 1600lbs so the dealer is incorrect if they state that the tow logic box does it all. Also, the tow logic box isn't plug and play. It plugs in easy enough, but the car still needs to be configured for it. Also, unless you ask the dealer to update your profile, it will wipe those settings at almost every service. I payed $100 to get mine added permanently on my q5. All this has nothing to do with the electronic brake controller.

Once I figure out the plug for the ebc, I'll post it.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. I'm headed to the dealership tomorrow to pick up the 7 pin adapter (one would think it would come with the tow package). I'll confirm and try to get them to update the profile at the same time.

There is suppose to be an adapter/connector from the plug under the dash to the EBC, but I can't find it on the net. Did you come across the PN in your research?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I'm headed to the dealership tomorrow to pick up the 7 pin adapter (one would think it would come with the tow package). I'll confirm and try to get them to update the profile at the same time.

There is suppose to be an adapter/connector from the plug under the dash to the EBC, but I can't find it on the net. Did you come across the PN in your research?
Well I think there's a plug under the dash also but I haven't looked yet. I'm also hoping the connector is the same as my Q5 because if it is, I already have the cable (I made one). If it is the same, the part number for the female part is 1J0 972 782 (assuming it's a 0(zero) and not an O(letter).

The part is like $3-$8 I think and if it's the same, I can share picks of the cable.

Right now I'm trying to decide where to mount the EBC.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found that connector on a pdf file (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24520084) post#2 TB0021 Installing Electric Brake.pdf). The connector and the wires 000-979-228 (2 ea). The wires I can make on my own. The connector I can pick up from the dealership or a VW dealership locally. I would definitely like to see the pictures of the connector.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, you need to purchase an aftermarket Electronic Brake Controller.

Here is how you wire it. The prewired connector is tucked up above and behind the OBDII socket in the driver's footwell.
Attached Files

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 03-18-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went to a VW dealership this morning and picked up the connector referenced in the pdf. They didn't have the wires, but I'll check at the Audi dealership when I head that way this afternoon. I assume Audi and VW PN will be the same for the wires.

I removed the kick plate/panel last night and as soon as it dropped down, I saw the connector with the gray protector. Looks real easy to build the connector and hook up the PRIMUS IQ EBC.

One thing I did notice in the pdf, the Red/Yellow wire, in my 2012 Q7, it's a Red/White stripe. All other colors matched up just fine.

I appreciate the help.

Ken
Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I went to a VW dealership this morning and picked up the connector referenced in the pdf. They didn't have the wires, but I'll check at the Audi dealership when I head that way this afternoon. I assume Audi and VW PN will be the same for the wires.

I removed the kick plate/panel last night and as soon as it dropped down, I saw the connector with the gray protector. Looks real easy to build the connector and hook up the PRIMUS IQ EBC.

One thing I did notice in the pdf, the Red/Yellow wire, in my 2012 Q7, it's a Red/White stripe. All other colors matched up just fine.

I appreciate the help.

Ken
Audi, Porsche and VW are all the same.

I had a different wire color, too, in my 2010 Q7; but it worked A-OK.

Quick Reply: 2012 Q7 Control unit for trailer, part# 4E0907383J