Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2007 3.6 premium Q7 Engine out of time

Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 3.6 premium Q7 Engine out of time

I had bought a 2007 Q7 about 3 years ago. I have taken great care of it. I hit a deer which wasnt too bad. I also got hit from the side and just a scratch on the door from some crazy old guy that wasnt paying attention. One day I was driving home from work and the car just died on me. I had it towed to the dealer and they said the engine went out of time and I should just replace the whole engine cause if they get into it and have alot of warped parts it might be more expensive. Why is my pricey Q7 need a new engine yet my parents have a older jeep and cadillac that is working like a new car and I paid alot more for mine. Is there any recalls or anything that would be helpful to me for that? I am paying like 600 a month for a car I cant even drive right now
Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Damn, Just out of curiosity, How much are you paying for the engine swap ?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check out this thread.

Originally Posted by Courtney718
I had bought a 2007 Q7 about 3 years ago. I have taken great care of it. I hit a deer which wasnt too bad. I also got hit from the side and just a scratch on the door from some crazy old guy that wasnt paying attention. One day I was driving home from work and the car just died on me. I had it towed to the dealer and they said the engine went out of time and I should just replace the whole engine cause if they get into it and have alot of warped parts it might be more expensive. Why is my pricey Q7 need a new engine yet my parents have a older jeep and cadillac that is working like a new car and I paid alot more for mine. Is there any recalls or anything that would be helpful to me for that? I am paying like 600 a month for a car I cant even drive right now
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...hain-Stretched
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Senobi
Damn, Just out of curiosity, How much are you paying for the engine swap ?
I am paying about $2000 in labor and then I can buy a 5 year warranty used engine for about $5000. So all together about 7 grand....my cars worth $12,000 when its running again and I owe 17 grand.....so I am getting pretty much wallet raped by Audi. I honestly might just trade my car in for what its worth now and take a beating. I am so sick of paying for all the **** that needs done with this.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Newer Audis and VW are definatly one car that is worth buying an aftermarket warranty for. They are just absurdly expensive to repair and they seem to make pretty pitiful mistakes they take no responsibility for and end up nearly totaling the cars the outcome is so expensive. No timing chain should fail before 200k. What the hell was the point of going away from timing belts when they cant even make a timing chain last as long as a rubber belt.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Newer Audis and VW are definatly one car that is worth buying an aftermarket warranty for. They are just absurdly expensive to repair and they seem to make pretty pitiful mistakes they take no responsibility for and end up nearly totaling the cars the outcome is so expensive. No timing chain should fail before 200k. What the hell was the point of going away from timing belts when they cant even make a timing chain last as long as a rubber belt.
I completely agree! I dont understand why my brothers 2003 saab is working like new and my car has 134000 and needs a new engine! Rediculous!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I completely agree! I dont understand why my brothers 2003 saab is working like new and my car has 134000 and needs a new engine! Rediculous!
134k miles and it needs a new engine?!
That doesn't sound right. Nowadays engines should go to 200k miles no problem, if maintained properly of course.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

there is no time for a engine if you maintained properly, i have seen engines with more than 200k and looks like new. I think the best way is a second advice and also tell why the dealer is telling you that if the engine doesnt have any "big damage" from outside like oil pan, block, etc. Easy like turn your engine on and hear it, you will know if is toast.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah I had proper and regular maintenance. And I am so mad. They just basically told me "hey we stuck to the warranty and you bought a pricey car...you should have the money it". I said if I buy more expensive things I expect quality. That's why I didn't buy 3 inexpensive crap cars for what u bought one for. At least then I would have cars to drive if I had bought quantity.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I had proper and regular maintenance
No one should be following the factory maintence schedules if they want their engine and transmission to last. 10-15k oil changes and lifetime trans fluid is a sure way to wear it out. It looks good for maintenance schedule to sell a car, they couldnt care less how long it actually lasts. On good synthetic 7k oil changes is as long as id want it in there. I pull many filters out of 10-15k mile oil change European cars to find the filter element torn, crushed, and allowing dirty oil to circulate. And too many 2.0T cars with internal engine problems before 100k. Just a tip for your next one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 3.6 premium Q7 Engine out of time