Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

how do you remove this vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you remove this vent

Does anyone have directions w/ pictures on how to remove this vent fro nthe dash:
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I read somewhere that you have to remove the hazard button first. When I installed my Dension I was able to pop off the silver border easily after removing the CD player. You will need to get a pair of radio keys in order to remove the CD player first. If anyone else has better info please chime in.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by floincali
I read somewhere that you have to remove the hazard button first. When I installed my Dension I was able to pop off the silver border easily after removing the CD player. You will need to get a pair of radio keys in order to remove the CD player first. If anyone else has better info please chime in.
I have the radio keys for the CD changer but I can not get the right one in to the slot. something in it is blocking the key from goin in.
any ideas??? I will take a picture of the radio keys tomarrow and post it here them can you tell me of these are the correct keys for the Q7??

Last edited by arp2nr; 04-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done install both ways, no need to remove Hazard buttons or remove silver trim. I made my own tools from a saw blade. Just jiggle as you insert removal tool. no force needed see the pic below. Tool is being held below changer to show how to insert.

I suggest you push player in as you insert tool to release any pressure on the springy retaining clip.

Despite appearances it does fit past the strip. Just needs top tilt down a tiny fraction as it slides out (angle is deceptive). 1st inch is stiff as it passes the retaining clips.
You can see the hazzard switch pulled in that pic but I didnt bother for second time. It feels like you could break it too easily. Honestly there is no gain.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 04-29-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
I have done install both ways, no need to remove Hazard buttons or remove silver trim. I made my own tools from a saw blade. Just jiggle as you insert removal tool. no force needed see the pic below. Tool is being held below changer to show how to insert.

I suggest you push player in as you insert tool to release any pressure on the springy retaining clip.

Despite appearances it does fit past the strip. Just needs top tilt down a tiny fraction as it slides out (angle is deceptive). 1st inch is stiff as it passes the retaining clips.
You can see the hazzard switch pulled in that pic but I didnt bother for second time. It feels like you could break it too easily. Honestly there is no gain.
Thanks for the pics.
I will give it a try. IN the pics the retaining cliplooks like it has am open slot in the middle, does the key slide into that slot?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No slides into bottom corner. Slot in middle is locating guide for bracket. levering gently towards centre bends spring in final bit. I read a warning by other post where a person broke the clip by using too much force. I removed glove box 6 T25 torx and release two electric connectors. That allowed me access (with difficulty) to rear of CD changer by hand too for push out. Removed it anyway to install Dension.
Same tool as this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSe7CnLmD58

Last edited by Jusforfun; 04-29-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Zoom
Old 04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Zoom
Justfofun
there is something in the way on the right side so that I can not get the key in. Do you think if I ermove the vent on top I can get access to the pins locking the CD change so I can get it removed?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2 shots

Shine a torch straight in and see the problem. I just tried it and can clearly see the position of the latch.
If you have something like a leather sowing needle or jewelers screwdriver perhaps you can nudge it left a little first.

Anyway take out the glovebox and you can actually get at that side. Well mine RHD and I can get at the left side so hopefully you can get at right side.

BTW why do you want to remove the air vents?

Last edited by Jusforfun; 04-29-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: BTW
Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Shine a torch straight in and see the problem. I just tried it and can clearly see the position of the latch.
If you have something like a leather sowing needle or jewelers screwdriver perhaps you can nudge it left a little first.

Anyway take out the glovebox and you can actually get at that side. Well mine RHD and I can get at the left side so hopefully you can get at right side.

BTW why do you want to remove the air vents?
I'm installing a kuda gps mount to the right of the cd changer but to install it I got to get the cd changer out first. I'm hoping that if I remove the vent I can get access to the tab that is stuck on the right side of my changer. do you have any instructions on how to remove the glove box.

Quick Reply: how do you remove this vent