Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Door Rattle When Closing - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Rattle When Closing - Help Please

Hi all

Had my 2008 4.2 TDI S Line since Friday and whilst starting to realise a few things that need attention to improve the car a little (murky glass in fog lamp for example) I notice that the drivers door (right side for me in the UK) rattles when I close it whereas the rest all clunk shut like they would on a new one.

I assume this rattle has come from 6 years of daily use and something needs adjustment, does anyone know what it is please?

There are loads of threads regarding rattles and I am yet to read one about the door rattling when closing it.

For info it doesnt rattle when driving, the second row seat does so will have a look at that this coming weekend.

Thanks

Carl
Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No idea if it's the same problem, but a couple of days after taking delivery of my 2013 I developed a (low frequency) rattle in the right rear passenger door - only when closing. Turns out there is a rigid or semi rigid piece of sound deadening material attached to the door skin. Dealer removed the door panel, reattached the piece, & no problems since then. It's pretty much obvious you'll need to remove the door panel & hopefully what ever is loose will be obvious. Probably the best place to start.

Last edited by Cadx6; 07-22-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine sounds like the window glass rattling or something like that, I think your right, door off sounds the only way?

New to Audi so no clue where to start though.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos50
Mine sounds like the window glass rattling or something like that, I think your right, door off sounds the only way?

New to Audi so no clue where to start though.
Its a big piece of foam inside door panel got loose. Remove door panel and glued it back. No more strange sound when closing door. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, is there a guide (with pictures ideally) to removing the door card to find the piece of foam that's loose please? The door sounds really cheap quality with this problem?

I also have the thumping second row seats that are mentioned many times on here and other forums but I cant figure out where the packer should go to stop them from thumping up and down when I go over bumpy roads?

Its been mentioned about applying some packing to a bar that locks the seat and original design allows for play which needs padding, which bar please?

Thanks again

Carl
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Four screws for panel.
1. Behind Audi side assist switch trim
2. Behind wood trim--- pull the wood trim up about 1/2" then pull rearward
3. Under rubber cover of door handle grab hole
4. Lower middle of panel
Pop off the clips(a lot), then carefully lift the panel up and remove electrical clips.
You'll see a white plastic cover on upper rear of panel. You need to remove door lock cable to remove the cover.

You'll see a big piece of black foam inside the hole after cover removed.

You can toss it off or glue it back. It's your call. Good Luck.