Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Cooling Preparation Needed for Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
It would be interesting to see what Audi actually reckon is changed, especially when you order with the towing package, it is often retro fitted by the dealer as part of their prep.
Agreed, might give them a call when I get a minute and see what the Audi Parts Department say.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

So I was wondering the same with my non-tow package Q7 4.2L and initially thought the "increased cooling capacity" was just marketing hype since the tow-bar, wiring, electronics, and coding are added/performed post production. Further research however revealed that two different coolant radiators are used 7L6121253K for tow package, 7L6121253A for non-tow package. These part numbers are used throughout all engine lines. Of all things, the width of the tow-package radiator is 1.07 inches narrower than the non-tow package with the length and height being equal. That's not to say that it might not have larger cooling passages than its counterpart giving it better cooling capacity though, I don't know. That led me to believe that maybe that was intended to allow a larger transmission cooler, however the cooler appears to be the same regardless of engine and trans combo amongst all engine and transmission combos.

I've purchased the factory tow-bar kit and will tow my boat cautiously at first keeping a close eye on temps and change the trans fluid at the end of the season. A friend of mine with a Cayenne GTS uses all of its 7,800 lb capacity for his boat with no issues at all. We have the advantage of a longer wheelbase for stability over the Cayenne, we also have a few hundred more pounds of weight and a longer overhang from the rear axle centerline to the tow-bar that reduces our tongue weight capacity to our disadvantage. Regardless, I'm sure it will be fine.

Last edited by B6-3.0L; 07-23-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's interesting, I would have thought that it would be the trans which needed the extra cooling over the engine but obviously, the engineers at Audi appear to know what they are doing!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's interesting, I would have thought that it would be the trans which needed the extra cooling over the engine but obviously, the engineers at Audi appear to know what they are doing!
I thought the same, typically that's what a tow package cooling system upgrade includes on most pick-ups. The ETKA shows only one part number for the trans cooler though.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't looked, is the trans cooler immersed in the engine coolant so it transfers heat and therefore the larger engine rad, will provide batter trans cooling as well - maybe they are a little more ingenious than I gave them credit!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't looked, is the trans cooler immersed in the engine coolant so it transfers heat and therefore the larger engine rad, will provide batter trans cooling as well - maybe they are a little more ingenious than I gave them credit!
The trans cooler is air to liquid only. The engine coolant radiator does not handle any liquid to liquid transmission cooling regardless of tow-pack or not for our Q7s. BTW, it's very common for vehicles to have liquid to liquid transmission trans cooling in addition to a separate air to liquid trans cooling.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be interesting to see what Audi actually reckon is changed, especially when you order with the towing package, it is often retro fitted by the dealer as part of their prep.
two different tow packages... one is factory installed and includes transmission/engine upgrades for additional cooling the other is port or dealer installed and is just a hitch and socket.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
two different tow packages... one is factory installed and includes transmission/engine upgrades for additional cooling the other is port or dealer installed and is just a hitch and socket.
My understanding is that all receivers, wiring, and coding are installed post production, port side. The different coolant radiator appears to be the only part "built in" to the vehicle during production if the "1D6" tow-pack was ordered. The "retro-fit" kit is what the dealer or end-user would install post delivery that has the limited 5,500 lb capacity. The ETKA shows a several different part numbers amongst the ZF and Aisin 6 and 8 speed transmissions used throughout the years, but none reference being used specifically for tow-pack equipped vehicles and there is only one transmission cooler part number used throughout all of the years and transmissions.

Last edited by B6-3.0L; 07-28-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, the Q7 is towing fine so far (to Austria from UK so far). However, the trailer got a puncture and the trailer hire company gave me a spare that also had a puncture! So have stopped in Austria to hopefully get it mended today. From the Q7 perspective, all OK :-)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had a good full service then towed from UK to Hungary. Audi (3.0 TDI) doesn't have the towing package (with cooling) but temperature needle didn't go above centre position. Only issue I had was a flat tire on the trailer!

Audi Q7 towing a Toyota Supra.

Last edited by webtechy; 08-05-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Cooling Preparation Needed for Towing?