Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

HELP with alternator removal!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP with alternator removal!

2014 Q7 TDI

Alternator is un-bolted and wiring is disconnected but for the life of me I cant get it out! Anyone have any real world experience with this. Didn't find much here on the subject and there's only a few janky YouTube videos.

Old 02-03-2024, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Velcro, I just wrapped up this job yesterday on my 2013 TDI. I followed -WES- instructions from this post Tips on changing alternator on TDI - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums and it went flawlessly.

Looks to me from the pic you need to remove your passenger wheel/ tire and felt fender liner and then remove the Under the frame rail, showing the "oversized hockey puck" (seriously, what is the purpose of that?) atop the aluminum sway bar retainer and the intercooler soft hose that needs to be removed (on the upper right side of frame).

I had a fair amount of oil on the back side of my alternator and on the motor mount (white rubber) shielding, wondering if you had the same?
The following 2 users liked this post by Noslomike:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (02-03-2024), -Wes- (02-05-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noslomike
Hey Velcro, I just wrapped up this job yesterday on my 2013 TDI. I followed -WES- instructions from this post Tips on changing alternator on TDI - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums and it went flawlessly.

Looks to me from the pic you need to remove your passenger wheel/ tire and felt fender liner and then remove the Under the frame rail, showing the "oversized hockey puck" (seriously, what is the purpose of that?) atop the aluminum sway bar retainer and the intercooler soft hose that needs to be removed (on the upper right side of frame).

I had a fair amount of oil on the back side of my alternator and on the motor mount (white rubber) shielding, wondering if you had the same?
Thanks for the reply. I saw that thread and went to give it a try and wouldnt you know it, my wheel lock is missing(used car)! I've ordered another and ill give it a shot because as it sits I don't think there is ANYWAY to get it out.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully the wheel lock is a fast delivery time to you. Even with the wheel / fender liner removed and the frame rail pieces out of the way, the alternator was still a tight fit to get out. But I agree, trying to remove it upwards towards the intercooler piping is a no-go.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (02-05-2024)