Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Tow Package Update

Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Q7 Tow Package Update

Just thought I would share my experience with the tow package on my 2010 Q7 TDI. It has the factory installed towing package, but of course did not come with an electronic brake controller. I bought a Prodgy P3 and had it installed by the dealer yesterday. Very simple....they charged about $175 for less than an hours work, but it works great.

I did want to also share that I almost made a MAJOR mistake. I had purchased the factory Audi towing kit (7 pin wiring, hitch drawbar and ball). It is an impressive unit, from a quality standpoint. My mistake is that I "assumed" that that given its massive bulk, it would be set up for pulling most trailers within its towing range. I did not pay attention to the size of the ball and hooked up my Featherlite car hauler to insure everything worked. It seemed to work well, but I noticed at the last minute that the receiver on the trailer takes a 2 5/16 ball, but the factory Audi ball is only 2"! Why would they put a 2" ball on the Q7 when most trailers have a 2 5/16 receiver? It would have been a disaster if I had not noticed. One final point. For anyone wanting to change the factory ball to the right ball, take it to a shop. It took a torch, cheater bar and a lot of foul language for them to get the factory ball off....

Mike
Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd

I noticed at the last minute that the receiver on the trailer takes a 2 5/16 ball, but the factory Audi ball is only 2"! Why would they put a 2" ball on the Q7 when most trailers have a 2 5/16 receiver?
2" or 50mm is pretty much the standard worldwide. Your 2 & 5/16" receiver is the non-standard item in this equation.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
2" or 50mm is pretty much the standard worldwide. Your 2 & 5/16" receiver is the non-standard item in this equation.
AGREED
Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to disagree. I checked around and most trailers I found are ALL 2 5/16. Featherlite car trailers are the number one car hauler in these parts....all 2 5/16 that I found. My father in law owns a ranch and ALL his trailers are the same. Anyway, I would recommend people to check....or not...

Mike
Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to disagree. I checked around and most trailers I found are ALL 2 5/16. Featherlite car trailers are the number one car hauler in these parts....all 2 5/16 that I found. My father in law owns a ranch and ALL his trailers are the same. Anyway, I would recommend people to check....or not...

Mike
Well the last U-Haul full size braked car trailer I rented from U-Haul had a connection for 2" ball. Good thing as that is what I had since I use that size for my then baot trailer and my utility trailer and my mom's utility trailer and the provided trailer for hauling a rented bobcat and another time for a rented backhoe.
Guess in this part of the country, it is 2" *****
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think this is nothing to get too excited about. I told my experience and "maybe" it will help someone else.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

I think this is nothing to get too excited about. I told my experience and "maybe" it will help someone else.
AGREED, just find it interesting the differences in trailer coupling sizes that could surprise those unsuspecting. I have 2 receivers with 2" *****, guess perhaps I should upsize one just in case I run into your situation.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I give kudos to Audi for the factory towing package (other than not including a brake controller in the package). I have the air suspension and it compensates perfectly with a car on board the trailer. The backup camera works great with the trailer on....the sensors go inactive (hooked up) and you can back right up to the trailer using the guide lines on the screen. With the TDI engine you almost forget something is back there. Again, very nice job by Audi.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

I give kudos to Audi for the factory towing package (other than not including a brake controller in the package). I have the air suspension and it compensates perfectly with a car on board the trailer. The backup camera works great with the trailer on....the sensors go inactive (hooked up) and you can back right up to the trailer using the guide lines on the screen. With the TDI engine you almost forget something is back there. Again, very nice job by Audi.
Could you provide the part number of the brake controller you had installed? Also, where was the wire coupling installed at the bumper?

Pics would be nice if possible.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sure. The brake controller was a Prodigy P3, Manufacturer Part # 90195. It is a little pricey but can be used for electric or hydrolic brakes (I have electric trailer brakes). Sorry, but I don't have any pictures, as the dealer did the install. I do know that with the factory system, it is already wired for the brake controller, with the wire dead headed under the dash. I think there is an Audi wiring connector that is needed to plug in from the brake controller to the factory wire connection. Others may know more details.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q7 Tow Package Update