Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2008 Q7 4.2 TDI S Line Purchase - Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Q7 4.2 TDI S Line Purchase - Questions?

Hi all

I'm off to view and drive a 2008 4.2 TDI S Line (UK car) tomorrow with a view to changing from my 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo and i wanted to know if there are any specific things i should watch out for with the Q7 in general or the 4.2 TDI in particular please?

Car is a bit up on miles at 80k but with full documented history and was serviced by a well known prestige dealer in the North of England, has 4 new tyres and was professionally detailed inside out out but away from appearance what should I look for when testing and inspecting please?

I'm a little wary that its a bit soft compared to the Cayenne Turbo but having spoken to a car tuner here in the UK who went the same route he suggests I could be pleasantly surprised, anyone on here done the same to add further comment? A remap may cure the outright speed, what about suspension, I was told its similar, but does the job better?

Im already thinking S Line arch extensions, running boards and larger rims plus black out of the chrome window surround, possibly DRL update of the existing lights etc. but was spoilt by going to see a V12 and now wonder if the additional £25k would have been worth it even in the wrong colour choice?

One question, are the lights on the early V12 different to the standard Q7, i read they are LED in the V12, arent they in the regular model?

Would appreciate comments regarding things to watch out for and overall expectations for this Q7, new to Audi apart from my girlfriends TT.

Thanks in advance

Carl
Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the very same car, 08 4.2tdi S-Line with all the bits I was looking for. I moved from an A8 4.2tdi so I was already used to the engine and it's a real gem with seemingly, no real problems.
Things to look out for are keyless door-handle lock buttons short out when wet and cause the unlocking to be slow rather than instant. Sunroof front wind deflector fabric gets ripped. Tailgate latches fail - lights fail to switch over to bumper when open or back to tailgate when closed. Sunroof drain tubes leaks in rear and cause damage to the amp - if it has Bose.
If your Cayenne didn't have air suspension, you will like that and it's pretty reliable in general, but faults can be a pain to find.
If you can do it yourself, I would change the trans fluid and filters - it's a days' job really and not the most enjoyable really - digging an allotment full of weeds is more fun!
May car has a host of extra bits and everything works perfectly - apart from a couple of door handle button in the winter - they are fine in the summer.
I, personally, wouldn't bother with the cosmetic mods, to me the car looks fine and they are simply money wasted and I definitely wouldn't go larger than 20" wheels - even with air suspension, on dynamic mode, the ride is hard enough.
In all, I do like the Q7, not as much as the A8, but I needed a car with more practical uses and occasionally, more than 5 seats.
If I didn't need the extra seats, and I still wanted 4x4 I would probably have looked for a new model Touareg, it's a superb car especially if you find one with 4.2tdi.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, purposely went for one without the pan roof because of past problems with SUV's that had blocked drains etc.

My Porsche did have the air suspension so the Q7 feels a little softer but still a great car after 1 day of ownership.

Thanks for the tip ref the transmission fluid change, that sounds too much for me so I will get that done in a few months along with spark plugs etc. that havent been changed even though its 6 years old now.

I was pleasently surprised to see the fixing points in the backs of the front seats for the RSE screens but dissapointed to see no screens, do you happen to know how i can get them, other than Audi, and if they are expensive?

Thanks

Carl
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have those with the two players. For me it was the perfect option because I didn't want them in the car for every journey, just longer trips to give our two youngsters something to relieve the boredom of a long time in the car.

I think I would now experiment with tablets and converting movies to MP4 format and just use the power socket for a switched 12v supply. It's supposed to stay on for 10 mins after stopping to allow time for fuel fill-ups etc, but mine just go off with the ignition. Have a look at these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Au...item41828caf3b - you may be able to use them for any 10" tablet which is about the same width as an iPad - 185mm x 242mm x 8.5mm or thereabouts.

Failing that. I can give you the part numbers from mine. The company who support them are in South Wales and great to deal with. There are two on Ebay but without the mounting brackets which are essential - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-AUDI-S...item1c42760542 - They are well worn and rather tatty looking but show what they should be like.
I would double check the 'spark plug' situation. If yours' is a 4.2tdi, it doesn't have any and has glow plugs to pre-heat the combustion chamber before starting.

Last edited by Edd W; 07-21-2014 at 04:47 AM.