Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unluky
I pulled mine out today - Safelite was $1,876.42 for OEM Audi acoustic windshield installed and calibration done in July 2023. $1,219.99 for glass, $60.00 labor, $450.00 for recalibration, and $39.99 for recycle fee. In Missouri. Just for the record.
I Safelite good for the calibration or is that something best done by the dealer?
Old 01-20-2024, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
I Safelite good for the calibration or is that something best done by the dealer?
I have had them do my BMW X5 which required calibration and now my Audi SQ5 which required calibration and both have HUD. Both of mine have been just as good as they were from the factory. But that's just my experience. On my X5 I went with their glass instead of the BMW glass and it was fine. On the Audi since I have the prestige with the acoustic glass there was no option other than the Audi OEM.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
Safelite did a great job on my prestige with HUD. All looked and worked well. 2 years ago when I got mine done, Safelite told me they only had the Audi glass for my car.
Safelite also did my Acura and I had no issues with that. But, you can get the wrong guy at the wrong franchise and they can screw things up, but that can happen at the dealer.
I would not doubt that the dealer will send the car out for windshield replacement.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Safelite did a great job on my prestige with HUD. All looked and worked well. 2 years ago when I got mine done, Safelite told me they only had the Audi glass for my car.
Safelite also did my Acura and I had no issues with that. But, you can get the wrong guy at the wrong franchise and they can screw things up, but that can happen at the dealer.
I would not doubt that the dealer will send the car out for windshield replacement.
​​​​​​

Exactly. Bad service can happen anywhere. And you are correct, no dealer is going to do a windshield replacement themselves. Companies like these have all the perfect tools to make this a much better result than they do.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Safelite calibrated mine fine, they have done a bunch over the years for me.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad to see you guys have had positive results with Safelite. I have had nothing but negative experiences with that company; Not once, not twice, but three times!! So this time around (few months ago) I paid a little more to have it done correctly, the first time. Bill came to $2203.53 Although not a Q/SQ but a B9 S4 Prestige w/Head-up display, adaptive cruise, etc.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cracked the windshield one week into owning my Q5. My dealer near Portland, Oregon directed me to the subcontractor they use for glass replacement. I'll ask whether they can use acoustic glass. In Oregon I do have to pay my deductible, but other than that it sounds like my insurance company will cover the replacement with an OEM windshield.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If they don't put in acoustic, they are not putting in what you have. Look at the printed label on the glass and look for the acoustic glass logo on it. Your Q5 should have it.
The following users liked this post:
bob_ (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weebl
If they don't put in acoustic, they are not putting in what you have. Look at the printed label on the glass and look for the acoustic glass logo on it. Your Q5 should have it.
Thanks for letting me know — I see it! I'll make sure they use OEM and I presume that will have the same properties.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The "A" at the bottom might be it. Mine is "A/HUD" You don't necessarily will get OEM. If you had the HUD, you probably would since there are few of those
The following users liked this post:
bob_ (02-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement?