Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Windshield replacement?

So I get dinged on the highway two days ago and get a big chip in my windshield. I have a prestige with that double insulated windshield glass. If they can't fix the chip and I need a new windshield, how can I be sure they give me the double glass one when they replace it? For those of you that had your windshield replaced, Will this be an Audi OEM product or will someplace like Safelite have their own brand of glass?
I would go to the dealer, but they would just send it out to a glass place, but at least I know I would get the right glass. But will my insurance company (Progressive) let me go where I want.
Thanks
Old 02-10-2021, 06:40 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
how can I be sure they give me the double glass one when they replace it?
The acoustic glass has an A in the markings, passenger side bottom section of windshield.

The following 3 users liked this post by MH62:
Mister Bally (02-11-2021), ribeye (02-10-2021), twmcminn (02-14-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Since you have HUD and Drive Assist, you may need to get your dealer involved anyway to get the cameras calibrated afterwards.
The following users liked this post:
ribeye (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can tell you about my experience last year with my 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan and Safelite. I decided to have my windshield replaced due to a lot of small stone chips from previous owner. I had HUD and it also had acoustic layer. I had Safelite replace it and calibrate it and costed me $0 through Allstate. The replacement I got was EZ-KOOL with all specs as the OEM (hud, etc.) except from acoustic layer. I was kinda skeptical about it but I gave it a go. I could not tell any difference as far as the cabin noise goes. There was no outside or wind noise that you could hear through the front because it is still laminated glass so the difference with acoustic layer is probably so minimal that our ear will have a hard time picking it up in a daily operation. I asked Safelite guys if they can squeeze in the OEM windshield ($1500) but they said that Allstate limits them to the cheaper ones. I could've had them install the OEM and pay the difference but I decided not to. The EZ-KOOL had heat resistance layer which blocked more UV rays than regular windshields and I was much more comfy driving in a direct sun. I would go to safelite.com and do a quote. It will tell you if they can calibrate the camera or not and how much more it will cost. Once you have the quote, call one of the Safelite places around you and ask what would be the brand and specs of the replacement windshield.
ribeye (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DirkM
Since you have HUD and Drive Assist, you may need to get your dealer involved anyway to get the cameras calibrated afterwards.
Originally Posted by kocyk123
I can tell you about my experience last year with my 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan and Safelite. I decided to have my windshield replaced due to a lot of small stone chips from previous owner. I had HUD and it also had acoustic layer. I had Safelite replace it and calibrate it and costed me $0 through Allstate. The replacement I got was EZ-KOOL with all specs as the OEM (hud, etc.) except from acoustic layer. I was kinda skeptical about it but I gave it a go. I could not tell any difference as far as the cabin noise goes. There was no outside or wind noise that you could hear through the front because it is still laminated glass so the difference with acoustic layer is probably so minimal that our ear will have a hard time picking it up in a daily operation. I asked Safelite guys if they can squeeze in the OEM windshield ($1500) but they said that Allstate limits them to the cheaper ones. I could've had them install the OEM and pay the difference but I decided not to. The EZ-KOOL had heat resistance layer which blocked more UV rays than regular windshields and I was much more comfy driving in a direct sun. I would go to safelite.com and do a quote. It will tell you if they can calibrate the camera or not and how much more it will cost. Once you have the quote, call one of the Safelite places around you and ask what would be the brand and specs of the replacement windshield.
Thanks, I had my Acura done at Safelite and it had all the sensor crap and they got it right. Here in florida it is a law that all glass breakages do not have a deductible. But I am not sure about the 1500.00 limit. the funny part is two weeks ago I switched from Geico to Progressive. Geico gave me no grief in replacing my expensive windshield, I will see what happens with Progressive and I worry because I have had the policy such a short period of time, they might fight me.
But I will call safelite first and see what they offer.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Had my windshield replaced 2 weeks after I bought the car. An Audi OEM windshield part was used. No aftermarket part was available at the time. It cost approx. 4 times more then a typical generic glass replacement but it was covered here in Mass. No deductible. All camera re-alignments, re-calibrations were done.
ribeye (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hammergjh
Had my windshield replaced 2 weeks after I bought the car. An Audi OEM windshield part was used. No aftermarket part was available at the time. It cost approx. 4 times more then a typical generic glass replacement but it was covered here in Mass. No deductible. All camera re-alignments, re-calibrations were done.
Did the dealer do it or a glass place?
Old 02-10-2021, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Did the dealer do it or a glass place?
Safelight. I was directed to use them by my insurance provider. In fact the dealer pointed me to a private shop for that repair but I went w/ the insurance company's direction.
Frankly, it was awesome. They Uber'd me there and back. Too easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by hammergjh:
kocyk123 (02-10-2021), ribeye (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

So I get dinged on the highway two days ago and get a big chip in my windshield. I have a prestige with that double insulated windshield glass. If they can't fix the chip and I need a new windshield, how can I be sure they give me the double glass one when they replace it? For those of you that had your windshield replaced, Will this be an Audi OEM product or will someplace like Safelite have their own brand of glass?
I would go to the dealer, but they would just send it out to a glass place, but at least I know I would get the right glass. But will my insurance company (Progressive) let me go where I want.
Thanks
Are you sure it wasn't the dolphins playing on your hood that dinged the windshield?
ribeye (02-11-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Touché
I thought it was only the sides that had it. Had to look up that.
I know that the next one will be Prestige too since I've driven others without the glass and they are noisy.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement?