Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Will SQ5 with S Sport package provide same ride comfort as 2021 Q3 on 18" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
Macan is related to the first generation Q5/SQ5 but Porsche tuned the chassis so it handles better but it doesn't come at the expense of ride quality. Another major difference is PDK vs. ZF8H transmission... it largely accounts for the more sporty feel of the Macan S.

I think if you are looking for better ride quality while still retain the power of Macan S, then you will find the SQ5 to be the right compromise.

X3 M is a league above Macan S and SQ5 so you'll probably find the ride to be extra stiff and uncomfortable (it's a competitor to Macan Turbo). But you may want to check out X3 M40i or Mercedes GLC43 which are comparable to Macan S and SQ5. I know from personal experience GLC43 has a very compliant ride and lots of power.
I also own an X3 M40i in addition to the SQ5 we just bought. You can’t get air suspension on the X3 so the ride quality is pretty rough and we have the 19” wheels. Can’t imagine what it’s like with the 20s or 21s. It’s one reason the X3M is so harsh. I’ve read some owners actually get rid of the X3Ms shortly after getting them.

SQ5 is a great vehicle and we absolutely prefer it compared to our X3.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

A Macan on air suspension versus steel springs are two completely different animals. Also the aspect ratio of the tires matters a lot. If you have 35 series or less on the tires the ride will be a lot more harsh. The Q3 appears to have a 55 aspect ratio while the macan splits with a 60 up front and 55 out back. (when both are on 18's) You are making a fair comparison when considering the aspect ratios.

That said the SQ5's are also very different between air suspension and steel springs. I would say the delta is far greater in the Macan between the two suspension choices versus the SQ5's two suspension choices. When pricing out an SQ5 versus a Macan we came to the conclusion that SQ5 gave us more of what we wanted at a better price point. Also if I want something with a Porsche badge we can go one garage bay over and take my car.

Side note we had an X3 before and when comparing the two cars on a long road trip the SQ5 on air ride all day. X3 left you pretty beaten up after a 700 mile stint. 800 miles stint in the SQ felt like I only drove 200 miles in comparison. Unless you are a total fan of the quilted leather seats get the air conditioned seats instead. Seat bolstering is exactly the same between the two and its the cheaper of the two options.