Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Will SQ5 with S Sport package provide same ride comfort as 2021 Q3 on 18" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will SQ5 with S Sport package provide same ride comfort as 2021 Q3 on 18" wheels?

Hi all,

Macan S owner here.

Just returned from a trip where I rented 2021 Q3 on 18" wheels. I was blown away how good the car is on ****ty roads, it's totally opposite to my Macan S, funny thing is that the Q3 I rented has exactly the same tires which I have on my Macan S = 18" continentals which helps with objective comparison between too cars, it's obvious that the difference is coming from suspension, rather than anything else. Q3 feels like a flying carpet on potholes comparing to Macan, Macan transfers all the impact right to your butt while Q3's suspension doesn't do that.

Now I can't seriously consider Q3 as it's obviously too much of a downgrade from the Macan S, but I've looked at SQ5 with S Sport package which I took for a spin a few times, however, with Audi Q3 I had 2000 miles to prove that it's ride is exactly what I'm looking for potholes. With SQ5 test drive I can only get so much feel to it, I had 2000 miles with it it would make my decision much easier, but that's not the case.

I also took a peek at X3M and its ride is even worse than the Macan. Now the question is will SQ5 provide as much comfort on potholes as Q3 does?
Old 12-12-2021, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been very satisfied with my SQ5's air suspension over rough roads. YMMV
Old 12-12-2021, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The air suspension of my 2018 SQ5 provides comfort even on the poorly maintained roads in my area. The car's Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus tires aren't harsh. The SQ5 is a true GT, quick, practical, nimble for its bulk, and comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
Jester7677 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

My wife and I own both a Q3 and SQ5. The ride comfort in the Q3 is softer than the SQ5 and with the summer tires the SQ5 is a bit noisier. However, with the air suspension set to comfort, the ride is very tolerable in the SQ5 over rough roads. You definitely feel the bumps more in the SQ5 but it’s a sports model whereas the Q3 is a family car more or less.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a Q5 (not an SQ5 or a Q3) but for what its worth, my friend has a Macan S, which I have driven a lot, and the handling of that vehicle is so superior to a Q5, you cannot even compare. The Macan S ride is a little harsher on the bumps than the Q5 but more than makes up for it in overall handling. I test drove an SQ5 but it rode too hard for me. I don't like the 19 inch wheels on my Q5 because the ride is definitely harsher than the ride I had with my former Q5 with 18 inch wheels, but could not get my new Q5 without them.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

As the owners of 2 SQ5's with the air suspension set in comfort mode the rides and handling are great. BTW the wife's 2018 has a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires that replaced a set of MPS 4s's. mine came with the Continentals. The Michelins are superior in grip and feel to the Continentals and will be put on my 2022 when they wear out. As for the ride, and both have 21" wheels, it's smooth and well controlled. I will add that the Michelin's have a little more noise due to tread design as the Continentals are compounded to Audi specs.
I'm pretty much into getting high quality tires and when looking try to find tires that are constructed to the car manufacturers specification or tire manufacturers "base" compound. . Unfortunately the Michelin's in my size are BMW spec, but handle and ride great on the SQ5 and gave about 22k. As they are guarrenteed 40k we missed out as they demand rotation at 5k intervals, but what a tire as I'm a Michelin man.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hopefully you're test driving an SQ5 with Air Suspension. That's the only one to get IMO. I also have an X3 M40i without air and it's harsh. The X3M is even worse which is one of the reasons we didn't even look at that. I've test driven a 2021 Macan S and will say it's very sporty as in you feel everything on the road which I guess is a selling point...road feel through the steering wheel and your seat.

Does your Macan S have air suspension? If not, maybe look at the new 2022 Macan S with air to see if that would be better. I'm saying this as you've been living with the Macan and it's performance/driving characteristics. You may be disappointed by stepping into an SQ5. I just got my SQ5 and love it...chose it over the Macan S for various reasons...availability, value for the price, interior size/feel. However, if I was a current owner of a Macan S, I'm not sure I could step down. Also, Macan's will always have better resale value if that matters.
The following users liked this post:
RingMan1 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by K1n3t3k
Hi all,

Macan S owner here.

Just returned from a trip where I rented 2021 Q3 on 18" wheels.....-- Now the question is will SQ5 provide as much comfort on potholes as Q3 does?
I've got an SQ5 with the sport package (air suspension). Since the car came with summer rubber on 20" rims, I purchased a set of 18" wheels fitted with winter tires for the winters. So the answer is yes, when I put on the 18" wheels the ride is definitely pillowy compared to the summer wheels. There's also a definite trade-off in the handling. Keep in mind there's also adjustability for everything like drive mode, and the air pressures you run...but all things being equal the 18" wheels give a much softer ride, and great for handling potholes and rough roads. I bet the same or even better than the Q3 since the Q5 is heavier.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an SQ5 on air suspension with 20" wheels with summers and 19" for winter. I think the air suspension is really able to change the ride from soft in Comfort mode to firm in Dynamic mode. We drive it in Dynamic mode all the time with my wife and two kids in the back and there's never been a complaint about the ride being too stiff. Personally I wanted to stay away from the 21" wheels, but I also live in Michigan and drive on terrible roads.

Overall I feel the SQ5 is the best compromise vehicle that'll do everything well.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Macan is related to the first generation Q5/SQ5 but Porsche tuned the chassis so it handles better but it doesn't come at the expense of ride quality. Another major difference is PDK vs. ZF8H transmission... it largely accounts for the more sporty feel of the Macan S.

I think if you are looking for better ride quality while still retain the power of Macan S, then you will find the SQ5 to be the right compromise.

X3 M is a league above Macan S and SQ5 so you'll probably find the ride to be extra stiff and uncomfortable (it's a competitor to Macan Turbo). But you may want to check out X3 M40i or Mercedes GLC43 which are comparable to Macan S and SQ5. I know from personal experience GLC43 has a very compliant ride and lots of power.

Quick Reply: Will SQ5 with S Sport package provide same ride comfort as 2021 Q3 on 18" wheels?