Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Why would anyone get a non hybrid Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Why would anyone get a non hybrid Q5?

I am just wondering why anyone would get the a standard Q5 (45) instead of the plug in hybrid Q5 (55) if they qualify for federal and state tax breaks plus Audi incentives?
I understand that not everyone will qualify for the tax rebate program, but if you do it seems like a no brainer.
This is NOT an option for the SQ5, just the standard 4 cylinder model range....

Premium price difference is $8600.
Premium plus and prestige price difference is $7,700

The current Federal tax break is $6,712 on the Q5 and about to go up to $7,500 when the larger batteries are installed in the 2022 (hopefully coming to the states this summer).
Depending on what state you live in there might be other tax incentives which can be around $1000.
Audi currently has incentives on of $500-$1000 (not exactly sure on the exact amount this month).

In California the rebates and incentives are greater than $8,000, so it is like getting the plug in hybrid for free. I understand that there is the trade off of the vehicle weighing more, but I just spoke to someone that ordered a new Q5 and did not realized that she could have gotten the plug in for "free" since she would be able to take advantage of all the federal and state rebates (She would have had a total of $8,500 taken off the final cost)..

Is there anything that I am not aware of?

Last edited by aris4n; 03-01-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah it may be because the Plug-in isn’t well advertised but yes it’s a no brainer. Some people may not want to deal with plugging if the infrastructure isn’t built out but even a household outlet can charge 1 mile/hour. And it operates as a hybrid.
or people may prefer the SQ5’s V6

It’s faster, more economical and has EV benefits like pre-entry climate conditioning which is the only way to get, from the factory, a remote start. The regenerative brakes will mean less wear on brakes over time too.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DBlueQ5
Yeah it may be because the Plug-in isn’t well advertised but yes it’s a no brainer. Some people may not want to deal with plugging if the infrastructure isn’t built out but even a household outlet can charge 1 mile/hour. And it operates as a hybrid.
or people may prefer the SQ5’s V6

It’s faster, more economical and has EV benefits like pre-entry climate conditioning which is the only way to get, from the factory, a remote start. The regenerative brakes will mean less wear on brakes over time too.
In my case, I wanted the performance of the V6. And I really don't trust electric cars yet with their lithium ion batteries.

I'm also not a fan of the government subsidizing our car purchases.
The following 3 users liked this post by GeriatricSQ5Guy:
101/105guy (03-01-2021), Mister Bally (03-01-2021), notmac1 (03-18-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

I wanted the oil sucking power of a V6 and as fast as my 335. If I couldn't have found my SQ5 then we would have ordered an Etron. The next car will likely be my last so it's going to be an S4/S5/RS5.
I have no interest in going slower and I keep the cars stock.
I did like how Audi has that wireless charging system, I would have both.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I should have made it more clear, I am NOT comparing the hybrid to the SQ5, just to the 4 cylinder Q5.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:13 PM
@AT
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by aris4n
I am just wondering why anyone would get the a standard Q5 (45) instead of the plug in hybrid Q5 (55) if they qualify for federal and state tax breaks plus Audi incentives?
I understand that not everyone will qualify for the tax rebate program, but if you do it seems like a no brainer.

Premium price difference is $8600.
Premium plus and prestige price difference is $7,700

The current Federal tax break is $6,712 on the Q5 and about to go up to $7,500 when the larger batteries are installed in the 2022 (hopefully coming to the states this summer).
Depending on what state you live in there might be other tax incentives which can be around $1000.
Audi currently has incentives on of $500-$1000 (not exactly sure on the exact amount this month).

In California the rebates and incentives are greater than $8,000, so it is like getting the plug in hybrid for free. I understand that there is the trade off of the vehicle weighing more, but I just spoke to someone that ordered a new Q5 and did not realized that she could have gotten the plug in for "free" since she would be able to take advantage of all the federal and state rebates (She would have had a total of $8,500 taken off the final cost)..

Is there anything that I am not aware of?
Even I owner of Q5e, I can give some of things which may future owners to take in consideration:
  1. Charging network is not so good yet. If you rent apartment, or you make a trip to somewhere you may not able to charge your car in the garage or parking lot. You may have to drive to charging area, which may not so close enough.
    This is not case to me. There are several free charging stations in my community, but recent trip to SoCal shows - you need pay attention where do you stay. I have to use Battery Save mode for 2 days until I was able to charge the battery
  2. More heavier car with smaller trunk volume.
  3. incentives - it's depend. There is lease offer only now. Of course, it looks great, but I personally decide not to lease new car. Dealership gave me loyalty discount, but it's not depend which model I ordered.
  4. Q5e owners can't apply for CVRP in California now. So, there is no additional rebates in California for this car. Q5e with extended battery might be feet to these requirement in future.
    Of course, there is eligibility to use Carpool and HOV lanes if you live in urban area like Bay Area or LA/Orange County (after obtaining to CAV decals and CAV Fastrack toll tag). This may give you great discount if you drive alone using HOV lanes in peak hours.
    Anyway buying Q5e Prestige extra cost is the only ~$1000 extra after federal tax credit. And, of course, less spending on gas (if you drive enough in EV mode)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think that the SQ5 is just a tink faster than the Q5 so it's just a glorified Q5 with a price tag. So since a Q5e is slower by a lot of tinks than the Q5, that would be my issue.
I can't justify dropping the coin for a Etron GT either.
I guess I am also biased against EV's, tired of following them going slow uphill and 20mph faster downhill.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Weebl
I think that the SQ5 is just a tink faster than the Q5 so it's just a glorified Q5 with a price tag. So since a Q5e is slower by a lot of tinks than the Q5, that would be my issue.
I can't justify dropping the coin for a Etron GT either.
I guess I am also biased against EV's, tired of following them going slow uphill and 20mph faster downhill.
There is more (potentially) to the SQ5 than raw speed. The sport differential, dynamic steering, true AWD quattro (whatever it's called) all make for a sportier ride with better responsiveness and handling. Tuning the SQ5 well over 400hp doesn't hurt either to set it apart.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Those were just icing on my cupcake.
I have the sport diff, dynamic steering and all the Prestige perks. The diffs are Torsen I believe. I was feeling generous at the dealership and bought into the extended warranties since we intend on having it for quite a long time so I didn't want a TD1.
The RS5 might cure that 400hp itch but then again as an electrician the torque curve of an electric motor is enticing. Getting my EV infrastructure certification very soon.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

The level of complexity of any hybrid vehicle makes the chance of an expensive out of warranty issue much more likely if you keep it long enough.
Many repairs and parts are only available at the dealer and with no or extremely few independent repair places to keep prices in check major repairs could be crippling.
There are many old Prius’s on the road that only the ICE is working with cost to get the car back to being a hybrid costing 4 times what the car is worth.
It is too early to know if a Q5E out of warranty can be made to run without it’s hybrid system working like a Prius. So far when there are bad hybrid system faults we need a flat bed to the dealer. Many buyers don’t need the extra power or complexity. The regular Q5 is far from a simple vehicle but compared to a Q5E it sure is.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone get a non hybrid Q5?