Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

What features would you like in future Q5/SQ5 models?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not much significant will likely happen til mid cycle refresh. I’m like for Audi to give us more options that are available outside of the US and any improvements in software and safety as they become available. My wish list based on that premise is:

1. Improve Android Auto integration(and CarP.) by-a. Letting you toggle back from Audi Nav with the programmable steering wheel button or other 1 touch. Better yet let them run at the same time with a toggle switch. b. Integrate to Virtual Cockpit and get rid of the useless VC screens like Lane Keep. c. A wireless connection would be nice. d. Display AA, CP Nav on heads-up display. e. Make this and other improvements backward compatible.
2. Safety-All Safety improvements should be standard. Improve Lane Keep so you don’t ping pong between lanes and fix the issue with split lanes. Fix the excessive warning on straight stretches where you haven’t moved the wheel and increase the warning time a lot. Level 3 autonomy would be nice. Crash avoidance needs to continue to evolve each year. Night Vision, more AI. I like Volvo’s move toward steering away from head-ons but that might require Lidar, radar, etc.
3. SQ5- more color choices like metallic red (less maroon), dark grey, premium white. Add a dark brown interior option. Real exhaust integration but this is a minor point.
4. Better smart phone placement with custom placement and USB in the dash area.
5. Functional cup holders-larger and an inch between.
6. I would be OK with getting rid of the touch pad to get a more functional space. Better integration of Google Voice with vehicle commands would eliminate the need for the screen. Audi voice is OK but still requires more exact commands and is limited.
I don’t agree with some of the complaints about ride, transmission and overall tech. Obviously some did not test drive the car adequately. This is a cross between a sports car and an SUV, IMO. Something like the Nissan Murano is plush and smooth with a CVT for a lot less money.

Last edited by Ron.S; 03-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Not much significant will likely happen til mid cycle refresh. I’m like for Audi to give us more options that are available outside of the US and any improvements in software and safety as they become available. My wish list based on that premise is:

1. Improve Android Auto integration(and CarP.) by-a. Letting you toggle back from Audi Nav with the programmable steering wheel button or other 1 touch. Better yet let them run at the same time with a toggle switch. b. Integrate to Virtual Cockpit and get rid of the useless VC screens like Lane Keep. c. A wireless connection would be nice. d. Display AA, CP Nav on heads-up display. e. Make this and other improvements backward compatible.
2. Safety-All Safety improvements should be standard. Improve Lane Keep so you don’t ping pong between lanes and fix the issue with split lanes. Fix the excessive warning on straight stretches where you haven’t moved the wheel and increase the warning time a lot. Level 3 autonomy would be nice. Crash avoidance needs to continue to evolve each year. Night Vision, more AI. I like Volvo’s move toward steering away from head-ons but that might require Lidar, radar, etc.
3. SQ5- more color choices like metallic red (less maroon), dark grey, premium white. Add a dark brown interior option. Real exhaust integration but this is a minor point.
4. Better smart phone placement with custom placement and USB in the dash area.
5. Functional cup holders-larger and an inch between.
6. I would be OK with getting rid of the touch pad to get a more functional space. Better integration of Google Voice with vehicle commands would eliminate the need for the screen. Audi voice is OK but still requires more exact commands and is limited.
I don’t agree with some of the complaints about ride, transmission and overall tech. Obviously some did not test drive the car adequately. This is a cross between a sports car and an SUV, IMO. Something like the Nissan Murano is plush and smooth with a CVT for a lot less money.

Didn’t test drive adequately? Unless you have the car for a week or so, you wouldn’t begin to get past the superficial things, especially nuances of the technology. Can’t find it in the brochures or Audi website either.

If anything, spending a few weeks in this site to prepare for a test drive would be a good idea.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Badger56

Didn’t test drive adequately? Unless you have the car for a week or so, you wouldn’t begin to get past the superficial things, especially nuances of the technology. Can’t find it in the brochures or Audi website either.

If anything, spending a few weeks in this site to prepare for a test drive would be a good idea.
I agree I always lurk on Forums of cars I have under consideration. The ride, handling and transmission are easily evaluated during a test drive or two as is smart phone integration. I should have separated my comment about tech. It’s as good or better than any other that I’m aware of except maybe Tesla and Tesla has received criticism by professional reviewers. I’m a first time Audi owner so I struggled with it at first. BMW and Mercedes still have issues with their tech. and don’t have the robust features even in the comparable SUV, X3 and GLC.
Vehicle lead times from design to fruition are measured in years or at least that’s the excuse.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following is from my daughter, she is 11.
1. bigger cup hold in for the back seats and small compartment for headsets, napkins, phones, etc.
2. handle is too close to the hinges, kids have difficulty closing the door.
3. need USB in back seats.
From me, I would like to have easy entry and exit (when you exit, steering wheel should raise up and seat should move backwards)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll start with some features that we use to have that have been taken away
3.0 gas engine
black optics
sun glass holder
roof rails included as standard
real exhaust

Plus make CarPlay integrated with the cockpit and provide a more refined MMI

Lastly, do not take away ANY options that we currently have, lol.

Last edited by ciernett; 03-17-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Badger56

The tiny icons in the outside mirror are much less effective than the large LED on the side of the mirror housing. I think Audi did it right. It’s good to catch your peripheral attention, not just when you happen to check the mirror.
My previous car (2016 Hyundai Genesis), had blind spot icons light up in the HUD showing a car on your right or left. I miss that - it was a great feature!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Adaptive headlights
Old 03-18-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- OEM remote start
- Black optik package (or similar chrome/satin delete)
Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffdehr
Adaptive headlights
Doesn't it already have these..?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

- Remote Start
- Ability to record from front & rear camera
- Electric adjustable steering wheel with memory
- Wireless charging for phone
- Hybrid electric
I agree that the blind spot indicator on the mirror is much better than in the mirror

Quick Reply: What features would you like in future Q5/SQ5 models?