Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Warm air blowing from front A/C vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm air blowing from front A/C vents

I am not sure if this is normal but when the air conditioner is off I get hot air blowing in the middle vents. I thought this may be due to the warm weather during the summer but as the morning weather is 50 degrees and below I am still getting hot air coming in from the center vents. Of course when I turn the air conditioner on after a second it will start blowing out cold air, but once it is off its as though the heater is set at 75 or 80. I never put the A/C above 70 so it is not as though it is blowing air from last setting. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 11-27-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdb09
I am not sure if this is normal but when the air conditioner is off I get hot air blowing in the middle vents. I thought this may be due to the warm weather during the summer but as the morning weather is 50 degrees and below I am still getting hot air coming in from the center vents. Of course when I turn the air conditioner on after a second it will start blowing out cold air, but once it is off its as though the heater is set at 75 or 80. I never put the A/C above 70 so it is not as though it is blowing air from last setting. Anyone else have this issue?
I've actually never driven the car intentionally with the air conditioning off. Accidentally a couple times I'll either notice the air getting stale or the windows getting foggy and and then I'll turn on the a/c and let it heat or cool as necessary to keep me at 68 winter or 70 summer. I'm curious how others drive though - I feel like the a/c is also ventilation as in fresh air supply, not just temp control. OP, is the air being blown forcefully or just wafting in? Can you hear an air blower working in the dash?

Old 11-27-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A/C doesn't necessarily mean "blow cold air" - it also removes humidity and de-fogs your windows. Just set the temp, leave it on auto, leave the AC on, and let the car do the work.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I dont mean hitting the A/C button, but actually just turning off the air completely (you know after pushing that off button on the lower right side) I will get hot air coming in from front vents. I attached a photo of what I mean by air conditioning off. Sorry I used A/C and air conditioning interchangeably.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdb09
I dont mean hitting the A/C button, but actually just turning off the air completely (you know after pushing that off button on the lower right side) I will get hot air coming in from front vents. I attached a photo of what I mean by air conditioning off. Sorry I used A/C and air conditioning interchangeably.
Is it blowing air like the fan is still on? Or can you just barely feel it coming through?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 2018 SQ5 if I turn the system off as in the photo above its stops air flow. If turned on with AC off it will flow outside air if recirculate is off. And yes it usually is warm unless its very cold outside.I think its simply due to where it pulls the air from, right in front of the windshield behind the engine. I wouldn't say it heated air, just much warmer than ambient.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

With it off (as in picture) there is no fan, but I do feel hot air coming from the vent regardless of outside temperature. It is not alot of air I have to put my hand about 3-4 inches from vent to feel it but it is enough hot air that I eventually need to turn on the air conditioning so cold air can cool the cabin.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO that doesn't seem right. Maybe something isn't closing all the way. With it off, it should be off. Nothing coming out of the vents. This is the way my car is.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rustydog
IMO that doesn't seem right. Maybe something isn't closing all the way. With it off, it should be off. Nothing coming out of the vents. This is the way my car is.
On one of the loaners I was given a few weeks ago, the center vents were blowing extremely hot air, even tho I had set it to something really low. Tried many things like auto on/off, hot/cold, various modes, etc. Nothing worked. Turning the car off itself I think fixed it. You're also not the only one on here to have misbehaving air system on the new Q5. So I would take it in If I were you.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2018 Q5 10,000 Miles does blow Hot air even though all is on Off. seems a bit strange!

Quick Reply: Warm air blowing from front A/C vents