Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Vehicle not recognizing Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same issue

Originally Posted by OFDPOS
Anyone have this problem or ran across it ?
Vehicle won't recognize the key fob.
Have had it in now 5-6 times first it was battery was low after maybe 2 weeks ,they replaced the battery...
When it did it again they replaced the key fob thinking that was the problem.

Its the main key shiny back.
Would go out to the garage to start it up and nothing , then this (see attached) would pop up on the dash.

Second time in , SW said the tech said no codes , replaced key fob, third time in SW said the tech said strange its only showing codes for the other key ???
Yet replaced the same key fob again !.

Within 2 weeks , same thing all over again.
Last time in they replaced the key fob and the Comfort Module part # 1 8WO - 907-064 FH Control Unit

Picked up the vehicle ,, 3 days later getting the same thing...
Same issue and only got the car two weeks ago. Where the heck is the designated area??? Using my spare key now but so far unimpressed (switched from Toyota Highlander to Audi Q5 e-tron and seriously considering switching back).
Old 10-26-2021, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulaS
Same issue and only got the car two weeks ago. Where the heck is the designated area??? Using my spare key now but so far unimpressed (switched from Toyota Highlander to Audi Q5 e-tron and seriously considering switching back).
In the 2021 Q5e, the designated area is the driver's side cup holder.

If you look closely, you can see a key symbol.

The following users liked this post:
TeamNLV (01-09-2022)
Old 10-26-2021, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my gosh I found it!!!! Hopefully this is the last time I will have had to deal with this. First time was when I picked the car up last week (sales guy was super embarrassed) and today it happened again and I stumbled upon this thread! The symbol is totally in the cupholder. Bizarre but hilarious. Fingers crossed I got this!!! Not thread related but how do I reset my daily odometer? LOL
Old 10-26-2021, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulaS
Oh my gosh I found it!!!! Hopefully this is the last time I will have had to deal with this. First time was when I picked the car up last week (sales guy was super embarrassed) and today it happened again and I stumbled upon this thread! The symbol is totally in the cupholder. Bizarre but hilarious. Fingers crossed I got this!!! Not thread related but how do I reset my daily odometer? LOL
Glad argroudan posted that for you.

Yeah been over a month and still no new key fob ! And they have no idea when they will get a new one.
It's happened again , but luckily it was parked in the garage. Being in a hurry I ran in got my key fob and we left without taking a video of it not working AGAIN ! This is getting really annoying to say the least.

We have now made two phone calls and left messages with Audi America and three emails with no reply back !

Where are you located ?
Old 11-09-2021, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
So, what was the end-resulting fix?

Wife was telling me her 2020 Q5-e Fob-1 has been having problems detecting.
Now today, my Fob-2 would not detect either (in my jeans-pants pocket),
... but WOULD connect when placed a little closer in console-pocket near gear-shift.

Guess I'll try new batteries in both Fobs. I came here to find-out if these batteries really only last a year-or-so.
I missed this post .
What was the fix you ask , Audi bought the vehicle back.
Shame on me now I guess since I bought a brand new Q5. ! The 2014 CPO A5 pull up to stop and at times it would launch you into the intersection. After several visits and it finally doing it to the shop foreman when he drove it home and he said he about **** his pants Audi bought it back.
Then bought a CPO 2018 Q5 had the key fob and a couple other items they never could fix so Audi bought it back.

We liked the Audi , so thinking we'd be better off buying new we bought a new 2021 Q5 and now here we are with the same dam problem with the key fob not working whenever it likes and having it in my hand standing at the rear hatch do the kick for the hatch to open NOPE. reach up and push the button NOPE , push the hatch release button on the key fob NOPE . Go back open drivers door and pull the switch in the door to get it to open. Again there is no rhyme or reason when it does it . But its down right frustrating when it happens to say the least !
Now they still have no idea when they will get another fob ...
Old 11-10-2021, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

When I had a accura, I remember when I kept my phone in the same pocket as my fob, the fob did not work. The phone was interfering with the fob signal. I switched pockets and the problem went away. Not sure if this is your problem, but you never know.
The following users liked this post:
MFGF (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ribeye
When I had a accura, I remember when I kept my phone in the same pocket as my fob, the fob did not work. The phone was interfering with the fob signal. I switched pockets and the problem went away. Not sure if this is your problem, but you never know.
Think I have two posts about this ?

With the fob in hand sitting in drivers seat and the vehicle doesn't recognize the fob , or standing at the back of the vehicle with fob in hand and it won't release the rear hatch by doing the foot sweep or pushing the button under the lip.
Or even pushing the button on the fob and it still won't open , so then have to go open drivers door and pull lever/switch in driver door for the rear hatch to open.
Again no rhyme or reason when it does it...
Old 01-08-2022, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2018 purchased new has just had this issue. Both remotes will not open the door. Used the key ,put fob in slot in cupholder and nothing happens. Had car towed to Audi tech says key fob battery. I have put 3 batteries in last year last one about a month ago. He said he will scan the car on Monday. I dont like not having confidence in car as we have a 1200 mile roadtrip Jan 31 and hopefully they will fix. But honestly based on it being intermittent and the previous posts it looks like multiple trips to the dealer are in my future.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by raaizin
My 2018 purchased new has just had this issue. Both remotes will not open the door. Used the key ,put fob in slot in cupholder and nothing happens. Had car towed to Audi tech says key fob battery. I have put 3 batteries in last year last one about a month ago. He said he will scan the car on Monday. I dont like not having confidence in car as we have a 1200 mile roadtrip Jan 31 and hopefully they will fix. But honestly based on it being intermittent and the previous posts it looks like multiple trips to the dealer are in my future.
Many CR2032 batteries are cheap crap. Some are even fakes.
I would only trust a name-brand one from a reputable-supplier (some say NOT Amazon). Something like a Duracell or Energizer Alkaline (maybe a Lithium-based one if a popular company makes those) . CVS seems to have a good supply-chain (as most of their button-batteries are intended to be used in medical equipment).

On that trip, you can always carry a spare battery. Another traveler can carry the second Fob (if you have one).

When using the emergency NFC-mode, be sure to place it where the vehicle's Owners-Manual says (not where some-one here said to put it). Remember that different Audis have different tech systems.

Storing the Fob near outside of car seems to the decrease life-span of the battery. Either that or 9-12 months is about the max you can expect (at least on a 2020 Q5-e PHEV)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25636972
Old 01-09-2022, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Help me understand this, if the key fob not working I should be able to put key in designated area and start the car? I thought this only worked with a weak key fob battery. I did put it in the designated area(cupholdr) as per my owners manual and nothing. Not sure if I put it all the way in the slot or all way down. Funny thing tow guy put it in cupholder slot and it started first shot. I used energizer lithium Ion from Shoprite and Walmart with expiration 2030. Hopefully they can sort it out as we do like the car. I park car in driveway and it is about 15-20 feet from remote which is in the house. I do have 3 other VAG products (2017 VW Jetta,2014 911, 2021 Cayman)in the garage or driveway, could these be interfering with the Q5?

Last edited by raaizin; 01-09-2022 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Vehicle not recognizing Key fob