Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

USA: SQ5 COVID Purchase - Discount/Approach?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default USA: SQ5 COVID Purchase - Discount/Approach?

Hi All - new to the forum. Looking to purchase a new SQ5 (2020 Prestige + S-Sport + Nappa Leather), first time Audi purchase.

I'm curious if anyone has made any recent SQ5/Audi purchases in the current COVID era - interested in any significant discounts, overall thoughts, recommended approaches to the Audi dealers? I'm in no rush to buy a car, however I'm hoping with the current economy and car sales that I'll be able to get some extra discounts. I'm looking at ranges from 7%-11% off MSRP, think this is too low OR reasonable a goal with the current Audi sales?

Welcome any thoughts, overall recommendations on approaches. Looking forward to joining the Audi family.

Thanks!
-HK
Old 05-11-2020, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hakunamatata62
Hi All - new to the forum. Looking to purchase a new SQ5 (2020 Prestige + S-Sport + Nappa Leather), first time Audi purchase.

I'm curious if anyone has made any recent SQ5/Audi purchases in the current COVID era - interested in any significant discounts, overall thoughts, recommended approaches to the Audi dealers? I'm in no rush to buy a car, however I'm hoping with the current economy and car sales that I'll be able to get some extra discounts. I'm looking at ranges from 7%-11% off MSRP, think this is too low OR reasonable a goal with the current Audi sales?

Welcome any thoughts, overall recommendations on approaches. Looking forward to joining the Audi family.

Thanks!
-HK
i got 11% off in pre-Covid times so you should have no problem getting that much (or more).
The following users liked this post:
luisscasojr@gmail.com (01-03-2021)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also another discount thread in this forum if you look for it. On one hand, car sales are way down so expect a discount. However, dealers won't make their quotas so there not going to make additional money off each vehicle so they will only go so low. Last, until inventory chain refreshes, I don't see them as being in a huge rush to clear their lots.

I think 10% off MSRP is a good deal with some other things mixed in....
Old 05-12-2020, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Parallax
i got 11% off in pre-Covid times so you should have no problem getting that much (or more).
Good to know, thanks! Out of curiosity - was it a 2019 or 2020 model?
Old 05-12-2020, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hakunamatata62
Good to know, thanks! Out of curiosity - was it a 2019 or 2020 model?
2018 actually.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We ordered a 2020 SQ5 right before the covid crap hit. We got right at 10% off. Now if they would just restart the factory and build our car. We actually did ours through the Costco auto purchase program. No negotiating. Not sure if they are still running it our not.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

So I just went through this last week. I'll give the pros and cons. Pros. Covid means dealers are not selling cars, so some are willing to really come down to strike a deal and start moving cars again. I would think financing options are very strong and interest rates super low. Cons. No more SQ5s are hitting dealers since the plants were shut down. So if you are looking, what is out there is what is out there. You can bet that when dealers open up again (soon here in PA) they will start selling off inventory and stock will get lower. Next major con. Used car prices have gone way down, so if trading in you currently will get lower value on a trade. Pro, I've heard used car prices will recover quickly when things get back to normal since new car inventory might not be there because of plant shutdown. When or if that will happen? Start guessing, but it may affect trade in.

So I here is my deal I just got. 9+% off and a really good trade value on my Jeep Wrangler. I compared 2 dealerships locally and the one I went with was almost 10K total package lower than the second one. I think I did ok. 2020 SQ5 Prestige Mythos Black, sport package, black optics, magma red nappa, cold weather, carbon inlay, rear airbags, cargo cover, Audi beam rings. 68+k sticker.

Now when will I take delivery? I have no idea. They have to bring the car to the dealership, then we have to figure out how to to the delivery. Stay tuned I guess.
Silver-Bolt (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just bought my first Audi last weekend, a CPO 2019 Q5 Premium+ with 5800 miles that had been a service loaner. I traded a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Ltd. First I got my CarMax offer and then went to the dealer. The first dealer wanted to give me $1000 less than CarMax and no budge on internet listed price. The second dealer matched the Carmax offer and the "internet price" was better than first dealer. Just a little budge on price listed on website that they insisted had already been tweaked for these times. I took the deal.

Original MSRP was $53,705, my price was $38,700.

My min requirements were the brake assist (Pre-Sense City), blind spot monitor, and the side assist. The parking system plus was a bonus. Color was a Mythos Black Metallic. After 15 years of owning silver metallic cars it was time for a change even though I know I'll be spending more time and money at the carwash. As an aside, did you know a silver car looks great with just one or two car washes a year

My Subaru had the "eyesight" system which also included adaptive cruise control which would have been preferred for my Audi purchase but that meant spreading a much farther net for a Prestige edition that was going to run at least $6000-7000 more and had more miles. I liked the adaptive cruise control in the Subaru--in theory. In operation the system operated in a way which I didn't particularly like sometimes giving me braking when not needed or wanted. I suspect the Audi system is better because everything in the Audi is showing itself to be much more refined than the Subaru. But, my first road trip today had me reminding myself a few times that the car would not slow as I creeped up on someone. Once I broke that ACC habit/crutch I was using cruise control less in busy traffic and actually driving the car instead of managing the quirks and limitations of adaptive cruise control.

I've been reading how the OBDEleven can enable the active lane assist features which would truly round out the active safety features on this car. I need to read more about that.

Oh, and about CarPlay. My daughter's Subaru crosstrek has CarPlay and I've used it in a few rentals. I had no idea that the Audi implementation was "touch free" until I had bought the car!. Took me a day or so to get comfortable with that way of doing things, but now I like not mashing the screen with my fingers and I can see the benefits of not having a touch screen to fiddle with. I know that some of the Audi models are offering a touch screen but I hope that they retain the MMI controller functionality as well going forward.
ahoop24 (06-11-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FM737
Oh, and about CarPlay. My daughter's Subaru crosstrek has CarPlay and I've used it in a few rentals. I had no idea that the Audi implementation was "touch free" until I had bought the car!. Took me a day or so to get comfortable with that way of doing things, but now I like not mashing the screen with my fingers and I can see the benefits of not having a touch screen to fiddle with. I know that some of the Audi models are offering a touch screen but I hope that they retain the MMI controller functionality as well going forward.
This is one BIG reason I've been wanting an Audi for years – I hate touch screens in cars! Terrible experience when you're trying to keep your eyes on the road. I much prefer the MMI interaction (and BMW's system as well). I've seen Audi move away from that in recent models and it's really unfortunate.

I appreciate the input in this thread – I've been looking at picking up a B8 S/Q5 soon.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeromium
This is one BIG reason I've been wanting an Audi for years – I hate touch screens in cars! Terrible experience when you're trying to keep your eyes on the road. I much prefer the MMI interaction (and BMW's system as well). I've seen Audi move away from that in recent models and it's really unfortunate.

I appreciate the input in this thread – I've been looking at picking up a B8 S/Q5 soon.
Apparently the 2021 refresh is going to be all touch screen similar to the current A4 and A5.

I personally don’t think it’s a good move unless there is easy to use steering wheel controls (voice commands are too slow and inaccurate). The driver having to use touchscreen is really annoying.

Quick Reply: USA: SQ5 COVID Purchase - Discount/Approach?