Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Update your Nav to 2018 maps

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FPF - information you provided does not work for everyone. Audi has changed the update download
Old 06-28-2020, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Audi sent notices out many months ago that they were removing the feature, and updating must now be done from the MMI in the car, and over the air.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:14 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts

It's unfortunate that they only allow a limited number of regions to be updated over the air via the MMI at a given time. I take long road trips, most years not the Covid year(s), and impossible for me to update the maps for the entire drive down the East Coast.

Not liking this new "functionality".
Old 06-28-2020, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffreyTT
Audi sent notices out many months ago that they were removing the feature, and updating must now be done from the MMI in the car, and over the air.
Do you have to have the paid service or can you do it with the non paid service?
Old 06-29-2020, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaf
It's unfortunate that they only allow a limited number of regions to be updated over the air via the MMI at a given time. I take long road trips, most years not the Covid year(s), and impossible for me to update the maps for the entire drive down the East Coast.

Not liking this new "functionality".
Same here. Have essentially shifted to CarPlay for mapping as a result. No updates required...
Old 06-29-2020, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Is what you folks are saying, the maps in the nav system of my 2018 SQ are not complete? And if I took a trip out west (I'm New England based), the directions might not be complete or accurate?
I've already had one incident. I am a meal-on-wheels volunteer. They added a new stop on my list a couple of weeks ago. When I plugged in the address, I noticed a discrepancy right away. I asked for address ending in street, and the nav gave me address ending in rd. Went to the location it gave me, and it got the street name correct, but not the number. I then went to my phone/google maps and lo and behold there were 2 locations with the same street name, but different endings street vs road. What was head scratching was that both areas (Both in same town) are probably over 50 - 60 years old. I'd understand if one location was a new development.
At any rate, it made me wonder about the nav system......
Old 06-29-2020, 05:05 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts

My understanding is that there are base maps for the whole country, but you only have the most recent updates for a select region (or regions) at a given time.

I don't know if after you download for one region, and then change the region, the old updates stay and you get updates for the newly selected region. I really don't have much in the way of details on how this system is working now, but if you are planning a trip of say 400-500 miles, I am unsure of everything you have to do before hand to make sure you have the latest updates for all regions on your trip (or even if you can). Would need to talk to someone at Audi to find out as I haven't found any details online yet.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

dcaf
Thanks. Taking my car in in 2 weeks for 20,000 mile service. My service writer seems pretty knowledgeable - will ask him and report back....
Old 06-29-2020, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsal
Is what you folks are saying, the maps in the nav system of my 2018 SQ are not complete? And if I took a trip out west (I'm New England based), the directions might not be complete or accurate?
I've already had one incident. I am a meal-on-wheels volunteer. They added a new stop on my list a couple of weeks ago. When I plugged in the address, I noticed a discrepancy right away. I asked for address ending in street, and the nav gave me address ending in rd. Went to the location it gave me, and it got the street name correct, but not the number. I then went to my phone/google maps and lo and behold there were 2 locations with the same street name, but different endings street vs road. What was head scratching was that both areas (Both in same town) are probably over 50 - 60 years old. I'd understand if one location was a new development.
At any rate, it made me wonder about the nav system......
I was up north of Orlando Florida last week. I use Google maps because my Audi just does not understand voice commands. I am driving on what looked like new roads and my google maps wanted me to make a left hand turn into the woods. I guess even they are out of date some times.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Do you have to have the paid service or can you do it with the non paid service?
I do not subscribe to the pay services and was able to do the OTA update yesterday with no problems.

At least the Q5 can do OTA, my 2019 TTRS can only update from USB/SD card, so this change means paying the dealer or asking Audi to send you an update SD card.

Quick Reply: Update your Nav to 2018 maps