Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Update your Nav to 2018 maps

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen the 2019 maps appear in the My Audi portal as yet? I'm assuming all models will appear at the same time but maybe not. I spoke with Audi Canada twice about it and they have no information from the product team on it. Weird that OTA updates have been out for a few weeks now but the manual update files are so late this time.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just a bump on this thread to see if anyone else has heard anything? I've tried reaching out to Audi a couple of more times and the entry level agents don't seem to have a path to find anything out. Nor my dealer who is very good. Weird how late the offline map updates are this period...we're practically half way to the next one mid-year. I'm assuming that the US customers will have access to the map files at the same time as the Canadian ones seeing as it's the same set of files but I am wondering if any Americans have seen the manual updates pop up as yet.

EDIT: Looking around in the other model forums I see this is an issue for everyone and no reports of the full map update being available on the MyAudi portal as yet. Happy to hear reports from others here though!

Last edited by scottn; 03-11-2019 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Being Devil's Advocate here: Why does it really matter if it's late? Unless you require navigation assistance in regions that have undergone serious infrastructure changes, there isn't must change between releases.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That isn't a very useful reply but I understand what you are saying. Really it doesn't but they made the precedent of being pretty consistent about the timing...and releasing the over the air versions more or less when they usually do but not the manual method is weird. I do find a lot of change with each update in terms of points of interest like businesses and the constant addition of new streets and sub-divisions which is a never ending thing is useful to me.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wasn't trying to sound like a d*ck, I just don't see that much change that I'd worry about calling Audi to find out when their updates are happening. Google Maps will outshine whatever Audi loads 10x for POI, and unless you are travelling into these new subdivisions on a regular basis it's a moot point.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yah man, I know you weren't. And you are very right about Google Maps or other online services for that matter. For me it's not a moot point though — it's just something I care about having up to date when possible and do notice a lot of changes each update in my own life. We all have different things we care about — the fact that any of us spend time on a car forum says we're all a little into things the average person might find a giant waste of time! LOL
Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have the latest MMI firmware (1311 I think) that fixes the top-view issue? As part of them addressing the end of life of Google Earth support, that version gets a different map brand. If you don't have the latest MMI version, it might be why you cannot download the update since they might not publish the legacy maps anymore. Just a thought.

PS I hear you, I'm OCD on that as well, just after waiting for 14 months for the top view camera fix, I wouldn't waste time contacting Audi over when their software updates are coming.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good question! I will have to go look and see what MMI firmware I have. What was the top view issue? I haven't had any issues with it.

That does make sense on the map issue but they have been releasing map updates OTA for the 2019 update for all sorts of models and years, just not via the manual method.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by scottn
Good question! I will have to go look and see what MMI firmware I have. What was the top view issue? I haven't had any issues with it.

That does make sense on the map issue but they have been releasing map updates OTA for the 2019 update for all sorts of models and years, just not via the manual method.
The 360 degree camera eventually defaults back to graphic view when you are in reverse. It might be the OTA vehicles have newer MMI software (just throwing it out there, and I might be 100% wrong....)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, a week ago I got a response from an Audi Customer Service rep, to my contacting them about map updates. Here's what he said:

"After review of your inquiry, typically, there are 2 map updates per year in effort to keep the MMI navigation system current. It appears the most recent update was back in November of 2018. With that being said, there’s another navigation map update that is due to come out in May/June of 2019. Audi of America would like to extend our apologies for any frustration that this may have caused you, as Audi, prides itself on making sure we are always listening and addressing our customer concerns when they arise."

I do travel cross country on road trips twice a year, and have found my self using Google of Apple maps instead of the Audi maps as they are more current. I occasionally put my Garmin on its vehicle mount as well. Have mixed emotions at this point about 'in car' navigation, as Google/Apple/Garmin look like they will ALWAYS be more current than any possible vehicle system. That being said, I also agree that the physical changes on the ground are not pervasive, and are usually navigable by eye where there are differences with the mapping in the car. Just annoying that I can download a portion of the updated maps for my next trip over the air, but not the entire route.

Quick Reply: Update your Nav to 2018 maps