Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Turbo Spooling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Spooling Noise

Just after hitting 1000 miles on 2023 Q5 2.0T, I started noticing a turbo spooling hiss noise on acceleration and a whoosh noise when letting off the gas. It's irritating and gets louder as the engine or outdoor temperature heats up. Dealer consults with Audi, who says they are familiar with the issue but aren't going to do anything about it because the noise is a natural byproduct of turbo operation. I would never have taken delivery of the vehicle if this problem was evident during test drive.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 04-26-2024, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

No noise problem on mine. In fact, I can't even tell when the turbo kicks in from noise, other than seeing the gauge on the dash and feeling the kick in the seat of my pants. Of course, the engine is a lot louder when the accelerator is floored.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're not satisfied with the response from your dealer and Audi, consider seeking a second opinion from another Audi dealership or a reputable mechanic who has experience with turbocharged engines. They may be able to provide a different perspective and offer insights into whether the noises are indeed normal or if there's an underlying problem that needs attention. Keep a record of when and under what conditions you hear the noises, including the engine and outdoor temperatures, driving speed, and any other relevant factors. This documentation can be valuable when discussing the issue with Audi or another dealership. Ask the dealership to perform a thorough inspection of the turbocharger system, intake system, and exhaust system to ensure everything is functioning correctly. This can help identify any potential issues contributing to the noises.

Since your vehicle is relatively new and still under warranty, any necessary repairs or replacements related to the turbocharger system should be covered. If the noises are determined to be abnormal and indicative of a defect, Audi should address them under warranty. If you believe there's a genuine issue with your vehicle, don't hesitate to advocate for yourself and escalate the matter with Audi or the dealership. Providing clear documentation of the problem and demonstrating that you've taken reasonable steps to address it can help facilitate a resolution.