Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Trailer brake controller harness location.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer brake controller harness location.

Our 2018 SQ5 was originally delivered without the tow package. Our car suffered some rear end damage that required a new bumper and support structure underneath. I had originally inquired at the dealership as to how much it would cost to retrofit the tow package. Almost $3000. So fast forward to the body shop and I ended up paying the shop the difference in part costs between the tow package parts and original. Just about $400. A nice consolation prize for having to have the rear end refinished. All OEM parts including the 7pin connector.
I have a brake controller and 4 pin harness that I harvested out of our traded in Q7. I looked up underneath the driver’s side footwell and I peeked into where the steering column is and I can’t find the connector. So all of this to ask, where is it? Or because it didn’t come from the factory with the tow package it’s not there? I understand the tow package is a port installed accessory and because the MMI had/has a tow setting I believe it’s somewhere up there. The kick panel looks to be more difficult to remove than previous models so before I dig into it, I though I’d ask.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chiming in to bump this up... I also had the tow hitch installed by my dealership on my 2018 Q5 PP, and now that I plan on towing stuff, I cannot figure out where on earth the plug is. I looked in the following locations:

- Fuse panel between driver door and dashboard (with door open)
- Fuse panel under dead pedal on drivers side
- Hanging under steering wheel

Couldn't find it anywhere. Can anybody chime in, if they know the location of theirs?
Old 06-03-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25102358, if the link doesn't work, it's post #57

I went to the Q5 with best intentions of ripping apart under the steering wheel, alas I can't even figure out how to remove all of the plastics. They all are very tightly interconnected. The screw furthest to the door seems to hold together 3 layers of plastic, of which the largest piece goes up and around the steering wheel. Anybody got any pointers on how to disassemble this area?
Old 06-09-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Success!!!
I took the car to the dealership and had a tech help me remove the trim piece and lower kick panel. And yes! The plug was tucked away up next to a wiring harness on the left sidewall. Better yet, my harness that I had used with my Tekinosha Prodigy brake controller plugged right in. As long as the lower kick panel (and integrated storage tray with door) was out, I found what I think is an elegant mounting solution. It fit perfectly and if any of you follow in my footsteps, be very sure you mount the controller in such a way where you can still squeeze the brake gain switch and close the compartment door.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

And just to clarify, this is an SQ5 that was delivered without the trailer tow package so I think it’s safe to say that ALL 2018 Q5/SQ5’s come from the factory pre-wired for the tow package. I mention this because the tech could not find any reference to a 4 pin plug on any of the wiring diagrams but yet it was there.