Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Top View Camera Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
Do you have the TSB Number? I am getting new tires and an oil change at the dealer Wednesday and they know about the issue but do not know anything about the fix. I would love to ba able to tell them to look up and find TSB # xxx???xxx
My fix will (hopefully) be completed at my appointment this Saturday. Don't know the TSB but should find out then. Will let you know
Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman

Did you complain about it earlier, or was this unsolicited? If the former, it sounds like it was finally released (which is great) and you were notified because of your complaint. It’s always been ‘VIN-specific’ because only 1-2 software releases were affected.
Yes, complained many times especially when others on this Forum thought there was a fit. So the dealer said that the issue has been in my "record" for my VIN, but now finally the fix is attached to my VIN.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTX
Yes, complained many times especially when others on this Forum thought there was a fit. So the dealer said that the issue has been in my "record" for my VIN, but now finally the fix is attached to my VIN.
Okay, was just curious if they were proactively reaching out to affected customers. It's not a safety issue, so I suspect that only folks who complain will hear about it and get approved for the update.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Why is the 1320 version only in the newer cars and not available for everyone? Seems odd.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Why is the 1320 version only in the newer cars and not available for everyone? Seems odd.
It's typical software practice to only cherrypick critical fixes for released products, rather than just updating them to the latest version. In fact, it's usually mandated by the eventual OEM (Audi in this case) to reduce the churn and avoid creating any new issues on older cars. Updating in-place is also different from installing new software from scratch in a new car because there's always persistent data left behind and it's hard to predict how it would affect the new software. There may also be different hardware in newer cars that require tweaks in the software, and it's cheaper overall to just keep older cars on older software with minor and specific changes. It's both a CYA maneuver and an attempt to limit the impact to the consumer to only what they want to fix. As a software engineer myself, I always feel like we're shortchanging folks with existing devices by leaving bugs unfixed, but I get the rationale behind the decision.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
It's typical software practice to only cherrypick critical fixes for released products, rather than just updating them to the latest version. In fact, it's usually mandated by the eventual OEM (Audi in this case) to reduce the churn and avoid creating any new issues on older cars. Updating in-place is also different from installing new software from scratch in a new car because there's always persistent data left behind and it's hard to predict how it would affect the new software. There may also be different hardware in newer cars that require tweaks in the software, and it's cheaper overall to just keep older cars on older software with minor and specific changes. It's both a CYA maneuver and an attempt to limit the impact to the consumer to only what they want to fix. As a software engineer myself, I always feel like we're shortchanging folks with existing devices by leaving bugs unfixed, but I get the rationale behind the decision.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha it took them more than a goddamn year to get this fixed. Such a huge fail in my book.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
Ha it took them more than a goddamn year to get this fixed. Such a huge fail in my book.
My car is at the dealer now, Sat morning, and they have approval to apply TSB 2053028/1 to fix the top view camera that has not worked as it should since my Q5 Prestige was new (11/2017). Will advise later, hopefully today, once I know if successful. I asked if this fix was specific to my VIN and was told it was for many vehicles/models.

Last edited by TomTX; 12-01-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

My car is at the dealer now, Sat morning, and they have approval to apply TSB 2053028/1 to fix the top view camera that has not worked as it should since my Q5 Prestige was new (11/2017). Will advise later, hopefully today, once I know if successful. I asked if this fix was specific to my VIN and was told it was for many vehicles/models.
Got car back...camera is clearly corrected. Only thing will be test it over the next week. Here's what the technician wrote: "Verified top camera view switches to graphic intermittently. Per TSB #2053028/1 for same issue I updated software of the J794 control module. Verified proper function of system." No other changes to user selected options or OBDeleven changes previously made, but did have to go the Audi Connect selection and say yes to Google Maps...nothing else needed to be reset by myself. Did not fix the radio pre-set issue others have mentioned.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:38 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got car back...camera is clearly corrected. Only thing will be test it over the next week. Here's what the technician wrote: "Verified top camera view switches to graphic intermittently. Per TSB #2053028/1 for same issue I updated software of the J794 control module. Verified proper function of system." No other changes to user selected options or OBDeleven changes previously made, but did have to go the Audi Connect selection and say yes to Google Maps...nothing else needed to be reset by myself. Did not fix the radio pre-set issue others have mentioned.
Check the firmware of the 5F/J794.

Quick Reply: Top View Camera Issue