Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Ticking Sound from Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Sound from Center Console

Has anyone come across this?

I only hear it at very slow speeds (<5mph). Hear it sometimes at idle but it stops when engine auto shuts-off. Sounds like it's coming from the center storage compartment or perhaps from under the driver's seat. Sounds like an automatic watch, and somewhat faint. I've removed contents from the center console and all other storage areas (such as those in the doors), but cannot locate the source.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It might be the the little spring loaded fingers in the cup holder. Mine rattle. If its a steady ticking sound like a watch then probably not. All my cup holders have a little rattle.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rustydog
It might be the the little spring loaded fingers in the cup holder. Mine rattle. If its a steady ticking sound like a watch then probably not. All my cup holders have a little rattle.
I looked into this possibility early on with no luck. But since you mentioned having the issue, I looked again and decided to stuff a couple of hand towels into the cup holders. Still no luck.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frogs9497
I looked into this possibility early on with no luck. But since you mentioned having the issue, I looked again and decided to stuff a couple of hand towels into the cup holders. Still no luck.
If you don't put the sliding tray all of the way forward it can rattle. Try moving it back all of the way or forward all of the way. I noticed this one mine and a quick nudge fixed it.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed the same thing. Every now and then I also hear a faint clicking sound. It lasts maybe 5 seconds or so and then goes away. At first I thought there was something loose in the cabin, but even when I come to a stop I can sometimes hear the clicking sound come and go.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by damnitBobby
I noticed the same thing. Every now and then I also hear a faint clicking sound. It lasts maybe 5 seconds or so and then goes away. At first I thought there was something loose in the cabin, but even when I come to a stop I can sometimes hear the clicking sound come and go.
Same thing on my 2018 SQ5. Random clicking from what seems to come from center console area. Intermittent and happens multiple times during same trip.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by damnitBobby
Originally Posted by chriskx
Same thing on my 2018 SQ5. Random clicking from what seems to come from center console area. Intermittent and happens multiple times during same trip.
I think we're probably referring to the same thing. I now think the ticking sound is coming from under the driver's seat. I raised the seat tonight as high as it would go, and took a look around with a flashlight. Nothing obvious.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same issue of the ticking sound coming from central console at intervals regardless of the road conditions. The dealer explained the sound comes from infotainment system's NVIDIA processor. After extensive driving i can hear a cooling fan running in the glove box even after I shut the engine off.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed some clicking sound coming from the front when I used OBDeleven to scan/code when car was parked in the garage.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Brought my Q5 in for the same ticking sound. My SQ5 loaner did the same thing. Dealer confirmed other Q5's on lot also made ticking sound. Isolated to under the shifter. Has something to do with electronics detecting key fob. Not sure about that one, but is across entire model. Annoying.

Quick Reply: Ticking Sound from Center Console