looks - subjective with the exception of the fake exhaust tips
suspension - air suspension is superior to anything BMW has
seat comfort
interior aesthetics
virtual cockpit
build quality
tires - no run flats
handling - bmw feels top heavy
What do you mean bought back by bmw? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
What is a jb4? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
It's a piggyback boost controller that will net you about another 60HP:
https://www.burgertuning.com/collect...audi-s4-s5-sq5
Old 11-07-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Based on another post, it sounded like a Lemon Law issue where BMW took it back and refunded his money due to reliability issues.
The following users liked this post:
Sandjunkie (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 13 Posts

Bought back as in lemoned. It was a piece of junk. Not the drivetrain but everything around it. TPMS, grill shutters, climate system, suspension clunk, etc.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Add the JB4 to the SQ5 and it addresses the "off the line" issue. Puts you near Macan S'ish territory for power, at a fraction of the cost and makes it pull like a demon off the line.
Macan S is same if not slower than SQ5 FWIW. If you add a tune to either you should be Macan Turbo power levels.

I just love the air suspension and handling of my SQ and if it weren’t for a power deficit it would be the best of the bunch. M40i is certainly quicker with better power delivery but the SQ5 is a true joy when it comes to balance of ride quality and handling.

If the APR tune is a winner I’ll probably go that route.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrooklynSQ5
The X3 sounds incredible and makes all the right noises especially in sport mode. The interior is all new and really beautiful.
Sport mode will definitely make you wanna say, "aww yeah". ...those pops and burbles...but everyday driving (if you drive a lot and your not always on fresh tarmac) I'd think the X3's ride would feel a tad too sporty for everyday for me.. Interior: gear selector: NO. Rest is pretty good but SQ5 wins in my eyes. 2020 X3 with the new idrive (BMW's answer to Audi's Virtual Cockpit) could change the game for many.

Originally Posted by rpmgolfs
I tested the BMX X3 M40i as well great car. But the ride even in the softest setting was too
firm for me. The cabin seemed smaller as well. I ordered a SQ5 two days latter.
Agreed. More sporty feel all the time. Which Honestly makes the SQ5 and it's air suspension worth its weight in gold for me since....traffic...and long straight freeway drives...with the wife...and baby to come...

Originally Posted by b0mberman
I test drove both as well. The X3 M40i definitely feels faster with a tighter suspension. The exhaust note kicks *** as well. If you like comfort, SQ5; if you like sporty, M40i.
I agree, the X3 definitely feels faster and nimbler. But, driving my SQ5 home I realized how unassumingly quick it is though. I had to watch the speedometer constantly or I'd be blasting by the normal 10 over the limit I normally do.

For me, the difference in speed was not enough to sway me either way. It came down to the interior on the SQ5 and the ride comfort options. Not to mention finding a used SQ5 was much easier. Super hard to find a CPO X3 that was loaded to the hilt.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:17 PM
SQ5 Down Under

This might be a good watch for those who havent seen it. I think it is quite spot on. Yes it is an X4 v SQ5 but it will be a similar comparison to X3. Overall, it is safe to say that BMW is more sport oriented where SQ5 is more rounded.

For me, i didn't consider the X3 40i coz we have an 440i GC with the same B58 engine so I was after something different. Mind u, the B58 engine is slightly better in my books as it feels more linear and is probably more efficient. Plus after owning over half a dozen Bimmers over the past decade, I had enough of reliability issues. So may beg to differ but for me Audi is more solid after owning both an 4.2tdi q7 and this Sq5. My bro had the Pre-facelift Macan S so I didnt consider macan so end up with the Sq5. I guess for most ppl, the feeling of the grass is always greener on the other side comes in play and I do sometime think maybe I should have gotten the X3 but the SQ5 has its own strength and can holds it own ground when compare to other German rival. They are all very good car with different pro/con that everyone need to decide. For me, the new EA839 engine with it advancement looks like a nice package compare to the B58. If I was to choice again today, i probably would have gotten the SQ5 tdi which has just became available in Aus. Diesel make more sense for SUV compare to petrol as the torque makes significant difference in a heavier and higher vehicle. .
Old 11-11-2019, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Filleul
... but honestly in every other aspect the BMW had it beaten ...
Can't say that I agree with all of this but I think you missed the area where BMW clearly outshines the Audi SQ5 - BMW adaptive LED headlights (optional - maybe only on the executive package?).
Even with the reduced functionality of the US version - they seem to be much better than the LEDs on the SQ5.
I only have a few hundred night miles on the BMW adaptive lights but I thought they were superior - especially in the curves.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StickyAK
Can't say that I agree with all of this but I think you missed the area where BMW clearly outshines the Audi SQ5 - BMW adaptive LED headlights (optional - maybe only on the executive package?).
Even with the reduced functionality of the US version - they seem to be much better than the LEDs on the SQ5.
I only have a few hundred night miles on the BMW adaptive lights but I thought they were superior - especially in the curves.
IIHS would say the same thing. BMW does get higher marks on the headlights. They have a pretty solid data on their website. My SQ5 headlights are still not bad though. I'm satisfied.