Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 Brakes...Can't Take It Anymore!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Brakes...Can't Take It Anymore!!!

I know this has been touched upon before, but I have a 2018 SQ5 Prestige with all the bells and whistles...love the power but the grinding brakes upon stopping and releasing is taking it's toll. Had it into the dealer, the technician said it's "normal", I told him the demo car did not do this and that it's not acceptable in a $70,000 car. They said there nothing they can do. Try going to your kid's school and spending 30 minutes in a slow moving car line while grinding away...people stop in their tracks looking for the dump truck that's making the noise!! Had a Macan S and a Cayenne S before this car...no problems at all. I am truly considering getting rid of this car over this, it's awful!!
Old 08-08-2019, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the same boat

I’ve been reading the forums for a while and finally registered so I could respond and vent the same frustration. My brakes (pad at rotor) have been doing the same thing for 3000 Miles now since the day I left the dealership. Took it in specifically for this and they said it was also “normal” and suggested stomping on the brakes hard to help brake it in. Beyond frustrating for the most expensive car I’ve owned. No previous German car I’ve owned has ever had these issues. This coupled with the sqeaky brake pedal that has popped up and the occasional horrendous downshift at slow speeds has left me very sour on the SQ5.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:20 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Is it truly grinding or squealing?
If just squealing maybe try...
https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...5oz/489298_0_0

If grinding then something is wrong and a competent mechanic can fix it... take it someplace else or have them show you another car where it is "normal"...
Old 08-08-2019, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If it makes you feel any less terrible, Porsche gt3 owners are complaining about the same thing! Haha
Old 08-08-2019, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine does this too, but rather than grinding or squealing, I would describe it more as a grabbing sound / feeling. Driving at a reasonable speed then applying the brakes hard can clear it up a bit for me, for a while at least.

It can be a bit embarrassing sometimes, but I've learned to live with it. I suspect it's the brake pad compound, I'd bet if you used another kind of lower performance brake pad, it would go away.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Go bed your brakes. Grinding and squealing is generally caused by not properly exercising the brakes. The pads can glaze over and if you don't get some heat into the brakes once in a while there is no pad material transfer onto the rotor and pads just scrape on the bare metal. If your pads are glazed then you might wanna replace them or you gonna have to go drive hard and brake like a maniac for a while to get the glazed layer worn off. Lots of DD with stop&go and light braking is no good on the brakes and you may wanna look into a different brand pads that deals better with your driving situation.
The following users liked this post:
notmac1 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Go bed your brakes. Grinding and squealing is generally caused by not properly exercising the brakes. The pads can glaze over and if you don't get some heat into the brakes once in a while there is no pad material transfer onto the rotor and pads just scrape on the bare metal. If your pads are glazed then you might wanna replace them or you gonna have to go drive hard and brake like a maniac for a while to get the glazed layer worn off. Lots of DD with stop&go and light braking is no good on the brakes and you may wanna look into a different brand pads that deals better with your driving situation.
I agree, my AMG does this at times if I have only doing short trips. Go drive the hell out of it and it should be fine.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawski
If it makes you feel any less terrible, Porsche gt3 owners are complaining about the same thing! Haha

Carbon brakes, though.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Haha I know, trying to find a silver lining for him!
Old 08-09-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I agree, my AMG does this at times if I have only doing short trips. Go drive the hell out of it and it should be fine.
This! I noticed a big difference in my brakes after really driving the SQ5 hard - they were actually like silk. Silent, gentle stops. But drive it gently around town for a couple weeks and the stutters return. But high performance stuff is generally at odds with comfort/smoothness/noise concerns. And it doesn't surprise me one bit that the demo vehicle was smooth....all people do with that thing is take it out and beat the crap out of it - lol. So you should go out immediately and torture the brakes into submission. Car was built for it - don't worry.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Brakes...Can't Take It Anymore!!!