Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 191 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hooliganMI
Probably buying used. Adaptive cruise and HUD are nice to haves, not have to haves. I'm sure any trim of the SQ5 will be quieter than my MK8 Golf R. I'd need to drive a car with and without the sport diff. I'm assuming without is just an open rear diff like most of the MQB cars have had?
I got none of the niceties on mine. My car is strictly a performance model. No nav no head up display no laminated glass. Just the sport diff and sport exhaust since I hate fake exhaust openings. It’s perfect. You want the sport diff based on your updated driving style that seems to be not overly conservative but seems that you may appreciate handling and do some spirited driving on occasion. The SQ is a bit on the heavy side so the sport diff vs the open diff makes a nice difference in handling mostly at 7/10 or more of the cars capability.
The following users liked this post:
hooliganMI (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atlanta A6
I got none of the niceties on mine. My car is strictly a performance model. No nav no head up display no laminated glass. Just the sport diff and sport exhaust since I hate fake exhaust openings. It’s perfect. You want the sport diff based on your updated driving style that seems to be not overly conservative but seems that you may appreciate handling and do some spirited driving on occasion. The SQ is a bit on the heavy side so the sport diff vs the open diff makes a nice difference in handling mostly at 7/10 or more of the cars capability.

MY21 is my likely sweet spot - how's the reliability been for you?

If I'm after the S Sport package - that means it has to be the Premium Plus trim, right? They didn't offer the S Sport package on the Premium, did they?
Old 04-14-2024, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 191 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hooliganMI
MY21 is my likely sweet spot - how's the reliability been for you?

If I'm after the S Sport package - that means it has to be the Premium Plus trim, right? They didn't offer the S Sport package on the Premium, did they?
my 2021 is a premium plus with the sport package. I have 24k on it now and had a few issues. Homelink module went out and was replaced under warranty. Had a squeak from steering which they replaced the entire rack which didn’t fix it and I figured out it just needed some lubricant at the boot under the dash. Engine and transmission wise it’s been perfect. Doesn’t burn a drop of oil or any other issues.
The following users liked this post:
hooliganMI (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Too be honest doing much to spice up the SQ5 seems like a waste of money. The weight of the vehicle as all on the front so unbalanced from a handling perspective. The center of gravity and roll height are too high. The steering is woolly. There are too many nanny’s to make driving truly enjoyable.

If you like Audi then pick up an older S4 Avant and spend money on restoring it. It will drive and handle better than any Q model.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Too be honest doing much to spice up the SQ5 seems like a waste of money. The weight of the vehicle as all on the front so unbalanced from a handling perspective. The center of gravity and roll height are too high. The steering is woolly. There are too many nanny’s to make driving truly enjoyable.

If you like Audi then pick up an older S4 Avant and spend money on restoring it. It will drive and handle better than any Q model.
If I understood the OP's net goal, it would be a SUV with lower suspension + nicer looking wheels. More for show that performance.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef

Eh, I'm looking for a DD, not a project car.

Yes, the SQ5 will never be an S4 wagon. The dearth of late model, worthwhile wagons is what has me looking at "spicing up" sporty SUVs.