Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

So, this happened a few days ago. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, this happened a few days ago. Thoughts?

Anyone have this happen to them? Any idea on what would cause this? The following is what happened, and a few pics. I own a 2020 SQ5, with only <5K miles on it.

Car working normally for my wife's commute home.

2 hrs later, I make a short trip to a store. Left the house, everything is normal. Parked at a store, came back to the car 10 mins later and started it. That's when this happened...

After starting the SQ5, the dashboard (behind the steering wheel) displayed a warning statement, the yellow triangle with an exclamation point, and SOS lit. The MMI screen was dead, nothing... Just black.

Turned off the car. Waited 2 mins. Restarted, and same thing. Drove 2 mins, then parked again to see if another shut down and restart would remedy the situation. Same thing. Even pushed the SOS button to see if that would work. It activated it, and the voice offered me a chance to cancel it by pushing it again... Which I did.

Then, kept the car off for another few minutes. Restarted, same thing... I thought. But... Kept the car running, and about 4 mins later... The MMI came to life, then a few minutes later, everything was normal again, dashboard errors disappeared, and MMI normal.

I can maybe understand that perhaps the SOS was temporarily malfunctioning for whatever reason, maybe connectivity issues, etc. But, if that was the only issue -- why would the MMI go dead as well around the same time? Humm

1 day has passed, and 2 each 28 mile trips, and still normal.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

- Tim

Errors on main dash screen. At this point, MMI (not shown) was black and not working.

Errors on main dash screen. At this point, MMI (not shown) was black and not working.

Starting to come back to life. MMI working, but still some errors on dashboard screen.

Last edited by twmcminn; 02-11-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I would VCDS scan. Most probably a few codes after an episode like that. My SQ5 with similar mileage has never behaved like yours but I have had SOS system faults that I have cleared. From what I have read most faults are caused by loss of a signal/connection. Pretty common in the mountainous areas I drive.
The following users liked this post:
twmcminn (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder if its related to Technical product information 2046549/2
Technical product information Transaction No.: 2046549/2 Message "SOS emergency call malfunctions" Release date: 03-Aug-2018

Only thing is the release date is 2 years earlier although having said that, mine has had telematics errors logged in the module despite being fixed (backup battery?) so its possible there is something wrong with these modules?
twmcminn (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

TSB
The following 3 users liked this post by 4ringsnewbie:
NABS4 (02-12-2021), Tesla1856 (02-12-2021), twmcminn (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible varmint

This is a long shot but I had a similar experience with my 2013 A6 3 years ago. I was driving though town at about 25 mph when most of the warning lights came on. The car ran fine but the dashboard looked very upsetting with all the warning lights lit. Pulled over and shut the car down. Waited 3 mins and restarted and all was ok. Never happened again during the following 2 years. I did find rodent droppings inside the car some days later. Set a trap, caught a small mouse and chalked the whole thing up to a short caused by the mouse chewing on some wires. I think any grocery store has mice nearby, one of which may find their way into your car while parked. Long show but who knows.
twmcminn (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

We had similar issues when the car was quite new. We took it in to the dealer and they found one of the live feed connectors in the fusebox hadn't been properly crimped. It was working sometimes and not others. Since they fixed it we've never had a recurrence.

Cheers!

MF.
twmcminn (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Definitely sounds like MMI crashed and rebooted itself. A complete reboot of MMI takes a few minutes so that explains why everything was "back to normal" after a while.

If you take it to a dealer, they can probably scan the code and see what caused it to crash. But honestly, if it stays normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by bzcat; 02-12-2021 at 02:00 PM.
twmcminn (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your insights.

I did buy a OBD II scan tool (
Amazon Amazon
) a few months ago, but silly me... I somehow forgot I had it. Well, time to see if it successfully locates the errors.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same thing happened to me when I first got my 2019 q5. I took it to the dealer and they reset the mmi. One year later haven’t had the issue come up again
twmcminn (02-14-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twmcminn
Thanks everyone for your insights.

I did buy a OBD II scan tool ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS...ing=UTF8&psc=1 ) a few months ago, but silly me... I somehow forgot I had it. Well, time to see if it successfully locates the errors.

Thanks again everyone.
Curious - what did you learn from the OBD scan? It's also been brutally cold... if you're in the MN area... I blame a lot of stuff on this current polar vortex.

Quick Reply: So, this happened a few days ago. Thoughts?