Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

S Sport package for SQ5: Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S Sport package for SQ5: Opinions?

I have a 2018 Q5 with 48K miles. I've been considering getting an extended warranty but after driving the loaner 2021 Q5 while mine is in for service, I'm thinking of getting an SQ5. My salesperson thinks highly of the S Sport package. I'm unsure. Otherwise my requirements are Premium Plus with the Bang & Olufsen, just like I have now. Thoughts on the S Sport package?
Old 05-25-2021, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I wouldn’t even consider getting an sq5 without the air suspension
The following users liked this post:
GLI-to-SQ5 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

I purchased a 18 SQ5 last August, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Previous car was a A4 and even though that car rode/handled nice the 3.0 engine in the SQ5 is so much more fun.

The one I ended up with didn't have the air suspension, there is a small part that wishes I had kept looking till I found one that meet my budget with the air suspension but I do not regret buying the one I have.

We decided to get a 21 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the wife last February and went for the Overland model with their air ride suspension, go figure. I'll be installing a ABT H.A.S. spring set this summer on the SQ5, 4" between tire and fender is excessive for a SQ5 IMO

Last edited by RCPrato; 05-25-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sport pack should be mandatory on the SQ5. We were originally going to order one without. Drove both and ended up getting the sport pack. Had it for a year now and no regrets. Would do it again for sure.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

S Sport package is great but complicated technologies (except for the red brake calipers which can be a pain to keep clean). If there is a good chance that you will keep the car into higher mileage the likelihood for painfully expensive repairs and replacement parts is very real. Just read the S vehicles forums.
Standard rear differential issues are extremely rare, sport diff issues not so rare, mainly leaks more than catastrophic failures. Trans fluid on each side and gear oil in the middle.
The air suspension is terrific until it fails out of warranty. At that point most folks change to standard suspension because of very high costs or NLA parts.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaving out the S Sport package, are there any differences between the suspension of the new Q5 and the SQ5? Ride heights? Spring rates, etc? I'm going to drive SQ5s with and without the S Sport tomorrow morning. I'm a bit shocked at the difference between my 2018 Q5 and the 2021 loaner. Body roll is much more controlled. Not sure what options it has since there's no window sticker.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

It's only worth it if you drive in excess of the posted speed limit.
Off ramps
On ramps
Windy roads
ect.

Otherwise not worth your money. I would not have it any other way, torque vectoring feels different and I have fun driving it.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The air ride alone is worth it IMO. After a 3hr Mountain Bike ride, Comfort mode is awesome. Otherwise Dynamic. Going into the city where there a ****ty roads, sometimes I’ll put it in Comfort or higher.

I think it depends on what you’ll be driving. If never leaving pavement and the pavement is consistently good, the suspension might not be important. For me (city, good roads, bad roads, dirt roads, grass fields) I would not get it without Sport.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Last week I learned how good the Offroad mode works in the non-air adaptive suspension. I put the car in Offroad for a very rough small section of state forest road with deep and sharp edged holes and ruts, worked way better than I ever would have guessed. Pretty smooth. Keeps the car in a lower gear with the revs higher as well.
I have used comfort for some not so well repaired paved roads and that works pretty well also.
Work as well as air suspension? Nope. Work way better than expected? Yup.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Baker;[url=tel:25591998
25591998]I have a 2018 Q5 with 48K miles. I've been considering getting an extended warranty but after driving the loaner 2021 Q5 while mine is in for service, I'm thinking of getting an SQ5. My salesperson thinks highly of the S Sport package. I'm unsure. Otherwise my requirements are Premium Plus with the Bang & Olufsen, just like I have now. Thoughts on the S Sport package?
I have a ‘21 SQ5 on the way and did not opt for the S sport package. The only part of the package I cared about was the sport differential but the $3k for the entire package put the sale price at more than I wanted to spend.

I didn’t care about the red calipers since I went with District Metallic Green paint and since we keep our cars long-term I didn’t want the headache of dealing with air suspension down the road.

If you’re interested, this is my build:
  • FYGS4A - 2021 SQ5
  • WPS - Premium Plus
  • M4M4 - District Green metallic
  • EI - Black Leather/Dinamica seats
  • PFW - Black optic package
  • Q29 - 255/45 R20 all-season tires
  • 9VS - Bang & Olufsen® 3D Premium Sound System
  • 5MK - Carbon Atlas inlays
  • 4X4 - Rear side thoracic airbags

Last edited by Iain_B; 05-26-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Quick Reply: S Sport package for SQ5: Opinions?