Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rumbling at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rumbling at low RPM

Just recently noticed my Q5 2018 2.0T seems to settle into RPMs under 2,000 a lot and almost at any speed. Results in unsettling rumble like you get with manual transmission when you are in the wrong gear. Being in Sport mode eliminates the problem, but obviously not good for MPG. Not sure why I didn’t notice this before I bought it? Wonder if Audi rigged the engine computer to show peppier performance early in the engine life to have people buy it, then reverted to the better fuel economy low-rev version that was sent for the EPA gas mileage test? Hey, I wouldn’t put it past them!

Old 01-20-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you are feeling lugging of the engine and the accompanying noises and vibration that go with it.

Not much one can do but confirm other same cars have the same trait and it's considered normal.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car does it. I did not feel it until it had about 2500 mi on it. It now has 5 k mi. Most noticeable when I apply low pressure to the gas pedal when at 1800 rpm or so.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m feeling/hearing the same vibration or rumbling on my 3 month old PP. I have about 2300 miles and I also don’t remember this when it was new. Now I always think about it and I’m not enjoying the ride as much.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

It's the by-product of a small bore engine (the reality is the engine is literally the size of 1/2 a gallon o f milk, or 6 cans of pop). Without the revs, the turbo isn't doing anything, and you are lugging a tiny engine with a heavy car hence the noise.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Definitely a bummer. Wished that I had noticed it or read about it before i bought it - could have changed my purchase decision. I like everything else about it, including the very good mpg, so I guess that is the compromise you have to make?
Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

You can't beat the MPG it gets. A co-worker has a Q5, I have the SQ5 and she blows my mileage out of the water on almost the same commute.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a three month old 2.0T PP with 3,400 miles, and I have noticed that if I use Dynamic mode in regular Drive (not Sport), the rumbling goes away. And I have not noticed much difference in fuel efficiency.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mdavidmvsr
I have a three month old 2.0T PP with 3,400 miles, and I have noticed that if I use Dynamic mode in regular Drive (not Sport), the rumbling goes away. And I have not noticed much difference in fuel efficiency.
How do I configure this exactly?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dino Milani

How do I configure this exactly?
Using the Drive Select buttons on the center console beneath the climate control buttons, select Dynamic. Once selected the first time, Dynamic mode will place the transmission in Sport Mode. Change it from Sport to standard Drive mode by pulling back on the transmission shifter. From then on, the car will stay in Dynamic standard Drive mode until you change it. The shifting pattern will change slightly, but fuel economy will not be impacted very much.

Quick Reply: Rumbling at low RPM