Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Is anyone else's Rear Cross Traffic Alert super sensitive? It has on multiple times slammed on the brakes and brought my car to a complete stop when I have plenty of room to maneuver back out. Im talking 5+ feet of so. Also, I've had the car automatically stop twice now in what is a false positive (meaning no cars where moving in my general vicinity and it still brought me to a complete stop) . I'm now at the point where I am super sensitive on backing out not to activate the RCTA. I've already set the pre-sense options in MMI to Late with no affect.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not had that experience with the rear cross traffic alert.

I have had a false positive on the auto-braking while I was driving with no car near me in front or to the side.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

It had happened once after I first got the car while backing out of my driveway. There was nothing behind me. It has not happened since (about 3 weeks now).
Old 09-16-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was backing into my garage this evening and heard it beep then a grinding noise. I was nowhere near hitting stuff in my garage, but I realized it thought I was too close and hit the brakes.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine has only braked once in two months. A UPS truck was approaching but was 15-20' away. Maybe a little early but it scared the crap out of me because I thought I had curbed a wheel. I've had the other warnings several times, several for people and all seemed legit. I like the idea but it may take a long time for me to get used to it.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Mine has only braked once in two months. A UPS truck was approaching but was 15-20' away. Maybe a little early but it scared the crap out of me because I thought I had curbed a wheel. I've had the other warnings several times, several for people and all seemed legit. I like the idea but it may take a long time for me to get used to it.
I though I the brick on my house from the sounds it made. It was like nails on a chalkboard board! Better safe than messing up my SQ5, even then nothing was moving behind me. I reviewed the footage from my garage camera to confirm. I'm glad the systems seem to work.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EvilKen
Is anyone else's Rear Cross Traffic Alert super sensitive? It has on multiple times slammed on the brakes and brought my car to a complete stop when I have plenty of room to maneuver back out. Im talking 5+ feet of so. Also, I've had the car automatically stop twice now in what is a false positive (meaning no cars where moving in my general vicinity and it still brought me to a complete stop) . I'm now at the point where I am super sensitive on backing out not to activate the RCTA. I've already set the pre-sense options in MMI to Late with no affect.
It just happened to me today evening and I felt it was too aggressive/sensitive
Old 09-17-2017, 03:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was totally surprised by it in a parking lot, didn't really know what happened at the time. It came on so hard my first thought was that I'd hit something. In fact, as I was backing out of a parking spot very slowly, someone came whizzing by behind me at what seemed to be double or triple safe speed for a parking lot, fast enough that I never saw him coming. The system saved my back side, literally.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ifeldman
It had happened once after I first got the car while backing out of my driveway. There was nothing behind me. It has not happened since (about 3 weeks now).
It's also happened once to me - about 5 weeks after getting my Q5 - while backing out of my driveway and turning into the street. There was nothing behind me.. at least not that I could see. The system slammed the brakes on hard - thought I had hit something. [Observation: At the moment it occurred my neighbor across the street was spraying water onto his driveway - the left side RCTA sensor may have picked that up].
It has not happened since (about 5 weeks now).
I believe there's no sensitivity adjustment for RCTA - you either have it ON or you have it OFF.

Last edited by rbreeze; 09-17-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In settings, you can tone down (or tone up) the sensitivity of the presense.

As others have said: RYDM!

Quick Reply: Rear Cross Traffic Alert