Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rattle Rattle Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rattle Rattle Rattle

I've had my 2018 Q5 for about 2 months now, and have really been enjoying the experience...

...except for an incessant rattling that I can't seem to pinpoint, which is coming from the cargo area (or possibly rear seat, it's hard to say).

I did a search, and wasn't able to locate another Q5 topic similar to this, but it's similar to the experience that's been described in this A5/S5 hatch thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2979806/page2/

I've emptied my cargo area, checked under the floor to make sure the tire and all other components are nice and snug, and have connected the seatbelts in the back seat area to make sure the metal latches aren't to blame.

The plastic molding on the sides of the cargo area will squeak and creak a bit if I press on them, but I can't imaging that going over a bump will apply that type of pressure to create such a noise.

It's starting to drive me a little batty and giving my OCD a run for it's money.

I'm considering making an appointment at the dealership, but before I do that wanted to see if anyone here has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you seem pretty sure it is coming from the cargo area or backseat. any chance it could be the back part of the sun shade? other folks have complained about that. try retracting the sun shade and see if that makes a difference. if that doesn't do the trick, have a friend/family member sit in the back while you drive around, or better yet, have someone else drive your car and you sit in the back to try and pinpoint the noise.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

It's probably the pano moonroof. Push up on the back part of the front glass and see if the rattle stops.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I tried it with the sun shade both fully opened and closed, and it made no difference. I may need to ask a friend to drive my car around while I do some checking on my own.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 82DMC12
It's probably the pano moonroof. Push up on the back part of the front glass and see if the rattle stops.
I don't think it's the moonroof... I am 99% certain the rattling is coming from the cargo area.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do u have the privacy cover? Might be that?
Old 10-19-2019, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
Do u have the privacy cover? Might be that?
Yeah, I've gone as far as removing it, not just from the cargo area but from the car itself (storing in my garage) and then going for a drive to see if it fixes the problem. No success unfortunately.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexel
Yeah, I've gone as far as removing it, not just from the cargo area but from the car itself (storing in my garage) and then going for a drive to see if it fixes the problem. No success unfortunately.
Then, I would remove all the things under the cargo, spare wheel, jack, etc..... then go for a drive. Hope that would work.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Our rear seat had a broken bracket that rattled. Dealer replaced the seat frame. After 2 years of ownership, I am growing more disappointed in the number of creaks and rattles. They seem to be coming from the doors and dash. I cannot seem to locate the exact source.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

When my car was new it developed rattle coming form the rear passenger side. I couldn’t put my finger on it until I was closing rear passenger door and heard something lose in there. Some screw or something left over was ratling like crazy. Dealer fixed it under warranty. Something worth checking. Because the nocise spreads out throughout the metal frame it soundded it was hard to find.

Quick Reply: Rattle Rattle Rattle