Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Question on SQ5 BOP care/protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on SQ5 BOP care/protection

Last month we upgraded from the 2019 Q5 to a new 2019 SQ5 w/Black Optic & sport Pkg. I have not had the BOP before, but love the look of it. Is there anything special in terms of cleaning, care, & protection to keep it looking new? I have not had it washed yet & it’s pretty dirty after some snow & salt. Planning to take it to the carwash this week & don’t want it to get scratched. We did Cilajet on our 2018 Q5, but I think it was a waste of money. Is there anything similar that works for the exterior & interior, without leaving a smell or losing the new leather smell? I think maybe the Cilajet actually did help to protect the leather, as I’m already seeing a bit of wrinkling on the outside wall side of the drivers seat. We have only had it about 5-6 weeks, so want to get that protected quickly. Thanks

!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

any automated car wash will scratch the car with swirl marks. I would suggest handwash with no harsh chemicals. I am not an expert on the BOP, hopefully folks with knowledge about it would chime in.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

The black parts in the black optics are just painted like any other part. Treat them the same way you would treat your paint
Old 01-27-2020, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The BOP parts on the B & C pillars and the rear hatch are going to get tons of swirl marks on them. I'm going to polish mine out, then have PPF (clear bra) placed on them. I already did this with the mirrors. You can polish them all you want, but know they will easily get swirl marks on them. They are a soft plastic compared to your paint. If you run it through a car wash that will really swirl them up.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
The BOP parts on the B & C pillars and the rear hatch are going to get tons of swirl marks on them. I'm going to polish mine out, then have PPF (clear bra) placed on them. I already did this with the mirrors. You can polish them all you want, but know they will easily get swirl marks on them. They are a soft plastic compared to your paint. If you run it through a car wash that will really swirl them up.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I live in a townhouse and don’t have anywhere to wash my own car. Does this apply to the car washes that just use high pressure water? I think all of the places near me still have like microfiber curtain strips at the end to help with drying though. I avoid the hot wax & would hope just telling them not to dry it by hand when it comes out, would help? I always assume their cloths probably have particles of dirt on them.
Is the PPF like the 3M clear coating?
Old 01-27-2020, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikki_Savage
Thanks! Unfortunately, I live in a townhouse and don’t have anywhere to wash my own car. Does this apply to the car washes that just use high pressure water? I think all of the places near me still have like microfiber curtain strips at the end to help with drying though. I avoid the hot wax & would hope just telling them not to dry it by hand when it comes out, would help? I always assume their cloths probably have particles of dirt on them.
Is the PPF like the 3M clear coating?
Yeah, the PPF is like the 3M clear 'coating'. It is a film. There are different brands. Placing this over the polished plastic will yield many benefits for your situation where you can't hand wash. Avoid car washes that have the spinning brushes. Those will swirl your paint up really bad over time.