Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5e super cold temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Q5e super cold temperatures

Yesterday when I left work (car parked outside) the outdoor temperature was 4 degrees Fahrenheit. Even though the car had 75% charge remaining, and the car on EV, it only ran in gas mode. Is this normal. I don’t remember this happening before. I also don’t remember temperatures is cold that it has been exposed to.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Was wondering the same thing. Over the last few days, with outside temperatures ranging from 0F to -10F, my Q5e started off in EV-mode as I pulled out of the unheated garage.

However, within a mile or so (less than 5-minutes drive time), EV-mode was disabled and transitioned uneventfully to ICE mode. Charge level remained at/above 90%.

Does the car do this because it determines that EV-mode is not optimal for the current conditions?
The following users liked this post:
3eyedblinky (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I’d presume it’s due to climate system load when temps outside are below a certain threshold. Gotta say I’m super impressed how mine has effortlessly kept the cabin 71/72 in -10 temps. It’s like I never left my apt.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:51 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

If Audi won't run our PHEVs on EV at these low temps, what does it say about running a BEV at the same, or lower, temps?

Steve
Old 01-16-2024, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by scrmorling
If Audi won't run our PHEVs on EV at these low temps, what does it say about running a BEV at the same, or lower, temps?

Steve
It’s common knowledge that range takes a hit in cold weather. So in the Q5e what’s the point? Besides, has anyone checked if the EV mode comes back after the ICE has warmed things up? The battery is inside the car in the Q5e.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-snap/3328085/
Tesla has been around for years. I’m surprised we haven’t heard more about cold weather issues.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:12 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts

Batteries just don't work to great in super cold environments. Known issue (the manfactures don't mention it enough).

My guess is that below a certain temp Audi made the decision to spare the battery (and potentially it's overall lifespan) by running with the ICE instead. Likely it does warm up the battery so that it's still available in a hybrid capacity to some level to help with efficiency (as efficient as ICE or EV can be in extreme cold...).

For those in super cold environments, I'd also be curious if pre-conditioning the vehicle (while plugged into mains) before leaving helped with the EV availability.

It will only get down into the mid teens tomorrow morning for my commute here, will be curious to see how the pre-conditioning works for me, and the EV mode effectiveness. I expect less power and less range in EV mode, already seen that in sub 40 temps.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Tesla has been around for years. I’m surprised we haven’t heard more about cold weather issues.
I can vouch that last year our well below zero °F cold snap not a single Tesla parked outside would even turn on until things warmed up a bit.
The following users liked this post:
nybloke (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stigasman, I have noticed the same thing the past few days in the Chicago area. First time in three years I have noticed the feature. As others noted, a full charge hits the range hard - cut by half for me. Happy I don’t have an eTron this winter!
Old 01-23-2024, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
I can vouch that last year our well below zero °F cold snap not a single Tesla parked outside would even turn on until things warmed up a bit.
As an Audi and Tesla owner, I can tell you that this is not true in my experience.
My Tesla has never balked at driving in extreme cold, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having trouble with theirs.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Larsonaut
As an Audi and Tesla owner, I can tell you that this is not true in my experience.
My Tesla has never balked at driving in extreme cold, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having trouble with theirs.
it’s well documented that extreme cold has a serious effect on the battery. At the same time people who rely on public chargers need to plan better.
Thinking “It’s going to be minus 10 on Tuesday, i think I’ll wait until Tuesday to charge my car” is not the smartest move.

Quick Reply: Q5e super cold temperatures