Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5e EV vs Hybrid default

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Q5e EV vs Hybrid default

Is there a way to change the default drive mode from EV to hybrid?
Old 05-13-2022, 06:14 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts

Nope (at least none that I have read or heard of)
Old 05-13-2022, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgasman
Never plug it in?
The following users liked this post:
scrmorling (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgasman
What is hybrid mode? The EV mode allows you to use electric power or gas if the need arises. There's nothing in the manual that speaks to hybrid mode
Old 05-14-2022, 12:48 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jebhick
What is hybrid mode? The EV mode allows you to use electric power or gas if the need arises. There's nothing in the manual that speaks to hybrid mode
The Q5e has three engine modes (2020-2022 US models):

EV = All electric unless you accelerate hard or run out of charge
Hybrid = Like EV but willing to kick in ICE under less acceleration or sometimes on Highway, but still prefers electric
Battery Hold = Use Electric at parking lot speeds, when stopped and just starting, but otherwise got to gas ASAP. Tries to maintain electric charge
jebhick (09-09-2023)
Old 05-14-2022, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaf

Hybrid = Like EV but willing to kick in ICE under less acceleration or sometimes on Highway, but still prefers electric
Battery Hold = Use Electric at parking lot speeds, when stopped and just starting, but otherwise got to gas ASAP. Tries to maintain electric charge
I find EV mode gives me all of the above. If I need the juice press the accelerator. The ICE kicks in.
To your point, My car does go into hybrid mode, when I deselect the EV mode I just find it more effective to leave it in the EV mode when I am on my short trips. Have not taken a long trip yet where the hybrid mode is recommended and have not yet been able to assess the difference between the two. According to the Audi app after about 500 mi the car is giving me about 78 miles per gallon. I'm still on the full tank of fuel that the dealer put in the car after a month and a bit of ownership. Has fully met expectations.

Last edited by jebhick; 05-15-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaf

The default EV works great for us as well.

If I need/want maximum thrust, a quick pull on transmission selector gets me "S" mode. Did a "0 to whatever" the other day getting on the freeway from an intersection and I had to smile over the squat of the suspension during the launch. I've seen times listing 4.5 to 5.9 seconds to reach 60 and my butt-dyno definitely registered sub-5 seconds .

Another quick pull on the selector when exiting the freeway puts us back in EV mode for stoplight to stoplight running errands as the 0 to 35 mph on battery alone is more than sufficient.

The following 2 users liked this post by fujinator:
jebhick (05-15-2022), scrmorling (05-16-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^
FWIW, sport shifter mode is not the same as selecting HV mode on the MMI. It runs the ICE continuously and burns significantly more fuel, more or less the same as selecting Dynamic drive mode. True its great for performance and quite fun, but hybrid mode it is not..
jebhick (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgrimes
^^^
FWIW, sport shifter mode is not the same as selecting HV mode on the MMI. It runs the ICE continuously and burns significantly more fuel, more or less the same as selecting Dynamic drive mode. True its great for performance and quite fun, but hybrid mode it is not..
Yep. Figured if I'm switching to ICE/Hybrid from EV then I'm going full carbon footprint
Old 05-16-2022, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

The issue I have is when traveling. I try to save battery for hybrid mode while driving on interstate. I get to hotel (in Chicago). Valet park winds up using all the battery.

Quick Reply: Q5e EV vs Hybrid default