Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5/SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Q5/SQ5?

Greetings. I'm thinking of purchasing either a 2018/2019 Q5 2.0T Prestige or a SQ5 3.0 PP (may or may not trade in my 2009 Q5 3.2 PP with 180K miles). But a few questions:

1. Years ago, there were a lot of issues with the 2.0T engine having oil consumption/leakage issues, even some lawsuits. Has the oil issue been addressed in the newer 2.0T Q5s?

2. I do like the large SQ5 engine than the Q5 engine. But the Q5 engine get better gas mileage. Is the mileage between then in the real world that dramatic?

3. One some rare occasions (maybe four times a year), I trailer a motorbike on an open trailer (fairly light; not a heavy enclosed trailer or motor home!). Will the 2.0L engine be able to handle it at highway speeds?

4. The Q5 2.0T sounds a bit buzzy (compared to the 3.0T and even my 3.2). Does that detract from your driving experience?

5. I've read that the MY2018 vehicles will only support Google Earth, etc., for 2 more years (until 2020), while the MY2019 will support Google way beyond that. If I get a MY2018, will I still be able to use the virtual cockpit navigation without Google Earth? That is, if I use Android Auto, say, for navigation, will that also be able to be displayed on the virtual cockpit?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by edwyun; 07-22-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by edwyun
Greetings. I'm thinking of purchasing either a 2018/2019 Q5 2.0T Prestige or a SQ5 3.0 PP (may or may not trade in my 2009 Q5 3.2 PP with 180K miles). But a few questions:

1. Years ago, there were a lot of issues with the 2.0T engine having oil consumption/leakage issues, even some lawsuits. Has the oil issue been addressed in the newer 2.0T Q5s?

2. I do like the large SQ5 engine than the Q5 engine. But the Q5 engine get better gas mileage. Is the mileage between then in the real world that dramatic?

3. One some rare occasions (maybe four times a year), I trailer a motorbike on an open trailer (fairly light; not a heavy enclosed trailer or motor home!). Will the 2.0L engine be able to handle it at highway speeds?

4. The Q5 2.0T sounds a bit buzzy (compared to the3.0T and even my 3.2). Does that detract from your driving experience?

5. I've read that the MY2018 vehicles will only support Google Earth, etc., for 2 more years (until 2020), while the MY2019 will support Google way beyond that. If I get a MY2018, will I still be able to use the virtual cockpit navigation without Google Earth? That is, if I use Android Auto, say, for navigation, will that also be able to be displayed on the virtual cockpit?

Thanks for your thoughts.
will spell the Sq5 as that’s what I have

2. got 32 MPG on highways
3. No issue with the 3.0
5.yeas you can still have the standard navigation on dash you will only not be able to display satellite images from google

Old 07-22-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
will spell the Sq5 as that’s what I have
2. got 32 MPG on highways
3. No issue with the 3.0
5.yeas you can still have the standard navigation on dash you will only not be able to display satellite images from google

Thanks for the response.
That's some pretty good HWY mileage. What do you typically get though?
Good to know about the virtual cockpit. Thanks. Looking at the MY2019 order sheet and see some new things so more difficulties between the 2018 and 2019.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the response.
Good to know about the virtual cockpit. Thanks. Looking at the MY2019 order sheet and see some new things so more difficulties between the 2018 and 2019.

Around 20 mpg if I just drive city and like to hear the engine
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I have a tentative 2019 Q5 order in (will finalize once prices are out within the next few weeks, assuming I don't decide to go with the Jaguar F-Pace 30t instead). Not a lot of differences (an engine upgrade option would have been nice, even if "just" an up-tuned 4 like in the F-Pace, which gets nearly 300 hp/torque). But even so, 2019 will bring these new features:
- wireless phone charging (Audi phone box) standard on the PP and Prestige
- parking assist (standard on the Prestige)
- power adjustable steering column (standard on the Prestige)

Plus they are eliminating some of the package bloat and are making more things standard either on the base or tied to the various trims.

As for the sound of the Q5 in-line 4 turbo, there's no mistaking that it sounds like a 4 not a V6. That's just physics. Nevertheless, I have cross-shopped everything and the Audi 4 has the most refined sound out there and it is remarkably quiet. Too many other makers either cheap out on sound dampening or actually pipe in engine noise through the speakers to, I guess, make the car sound more vrooooomie (personally, I'd rather listen to music). Acura's new RDX does this, as does others.

I would consider the SQ5 for the engine alone, but I find Audi's sport seats very uncomfortable and the SQ5 can't be purchased with the Q5's base seats.

Last edited by JMGurgeh; 07-22-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JMGurgeh
I would consider the SQ5 for the engine alone, but I find Audi's sport seats very uncomfortable and the SQ5 can't be purchased with the Q5's base seats.
That is very good to know. I spend a lot of time (and miles) in my current Q5. What makes the sport seats uncomfortable?

Old 07-22-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jus got back from a short road trip (SQ5)

Was as in comfort mode a lot a average 28 - 30 mpg.

The drive I’ve was very smooth!

Love the engine noise!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very good to know. I spend a lot of time (and miles) in my current Q5. What makes the sport seats uncomfortable?
The high seat bolsters combined with a fairly narrow seat cause me hip pain on long trips. I know this, as I currently have a 2016 Q5 S-Line that has the sport seats. I'll be buying a new vehicle just to get out of them. I've found the base seats, however, to be just fine (as are the base seats on the F-Pace). Of course, YMMV.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

SQ5 for me. Just love the extra power when needed. The diamond stitched sports seats in mine are supremely comfortable, I'm 5'10" 160lbs. The sport seats might not be the best choice for people with larger frames.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

go with SQ5 if you like the power and thrill of V6 engine. I purchased Q5 as my daily commuter and occasional road trips.

Quick Reply: Q5/SQ5?