Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 jerks every time it stops

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still get the jerking now and then but it seems to be getting better. Maybe Im acclimated to it. I am due to see the dealer in a month for my first service.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Hi, Its now August and I am wondering if any of you have had any luck getting this remedied? I bought a new one in July and I have the same issue. Very annoying.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

same problem here on new sq5
Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

NEVER seen this on my Q5 - 7 months old.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump...

I have a 2018 SQ5, had it for just over a year, 8600 miles. Up until I took the car in for a 10k service yesterday, the shifting was smooth, no issues whatsoever.
As soon as I drove it out of service, I started noticing the jerky shifting at lower speeds (driving in D/Auto), accelerating and braking.
For reasons I’m not going to touch on here, I’ve had 2 loaners in the last couple of weeks, a brand new A4 and a brand new Q7. Both did not have the problem, just as smooth as my pre-10k serviced car.

I hope this is just a software issue....
Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came back from the dealer for other reasons. But the tech I test drive with for the shuddering problem months back recognized me and said that is by the design and not a problem. I asked him if there has been any solution and he said no. It hasn’t been as bad as before either due to me getting used to it or it is actually getting better.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2018 Q5 jerky all the time

I leased a new 2018 Q5 2 months ago and the car’s transmission is the worse. It started with a light clunk when starting from stop to go. Now it clunks all the time when starting and stopping. So glad it’s leased because I don’t want it. I’m now driving my 15 year old BMW 3 series because the clunking is so annoying. Yes the Q5 is sitting in the garage. Additionally the gas mileage is averaging 17 mpg.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by RulerofShortLegs
I leased a new 2018 Q5 2 months ago and the car’s transmission is the worse. It started with a light clunk when starting from stop to go. Now it clunks all the time when starting and stopping. So glad it’s leased because I don’t want it. I’m now driving my 15 year old BMW 3 series because the clunking is so annoying. Yes the Q5 is sitting in the garage. Additionally the gas mileage is averaging 17 mpg.
Originally Posted by pbot
Bump...

I have a 2018 SQ5, had it for just over a year, 8600 miles. Up until I took the car in for a 10k service yesterday, the shifting was smooth, no issues whatsoever.
As soon as I drove it out of service, I started noticing the jerky shifting at lower speeds (driving in D/Auto), accelerating and braking.
For reasons I’m not going to touch on here, I’ve had 2 loaners in the last couple of weeks, a brand new A4 and a brand new Q7. Both did not have the problem, just as smooth as my pre-10k serviced car.

I hope this is just a software issue....
My issue is only when comming to a stop. I have no issue when the car is moving.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

2 month old SQ5 and the stuttering has pretty much stopped. Maybe 1 of 6 times stopped
Old 11-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So disappointed with my new Q5

Took the plunge to leave my beloved BMW 428i for a new 2018 Q5 two weeks ago. Took it on a test drive and everything felt great and was in love with all the new features. Drove it for the first time in stop and go traffic a few days later and I can't stand to drive the car. When slowly coming to a complete stop/rolling stop, it jumps. I took it to the dealership and even the head technician told me he had no idea what the cause was - 2 days later, I get a call from the head service manager who explains it's SUPPOSED to do that because the car shifts into neutral to save gas??? He offered to let me drive any new 2018 Audi (as they all allegedly are the same). He said "these are great cars, they just don't stop smoothly" and assured me "you will get used to it." It almost feels as if I were driving a manual, instead of an automatic.

I'm beyond disappointed and of course am now stuck with the car unless the dealership buys it back at a huge loss. While doing googling, I found this forum. Anyone found a fix? Or am I destined to drive a car I can't stand to drive in traffic (and I drive in nothing but traffic)?

Quick Reply: Q5 jerks every time it stops