Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q for current/future Q5e owners: why Audi over BMW X3 30e/X5 45e vs. Mercedes GLCe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Audi looks better overall
Old 04-23-2021, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting this discussion as I'm currently contemplating a Q5e...

I have a 2020 BMW X5 4.0i M-Sport, and quite honestly, I really love the car. It's optioned well, fast, and I like the looks.

My driving is incredibly urban (in fact, I hate road trips tbh...I just get bored and since we have speed limits and terrible drivers in the USA, I even get frustrated), so the convenience, cost savings, and environmental impact of a PHEV is appealing, especially when its primary mission is grocery store trips.

Of course I've looked at the BMW X5e (haven't driven it), but in a spec that has identical options as a Q5e prestige, it ends up being an ~$82k MSRP, whereas the Audi is $65k. (I love my gadgets so a Prestige is a non-negotiable for me.) To make matters worse, BMW and its arrogance does not pass on the $7500 Federal Tax credit to lessees like Audi does, so it's truly a premium PHEV in every sense of the word.

Another option is the X3e, but as most have commented, its performance doesn't come close to the Q5e, so that idea was DOA.

My last Audi was a 2005 S4, and I enjoyed that car. Looking forward to my Q5e test drive today.

The following users liked this post:
jebhick (03-20-2022)
Old 04-23-2021, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastMarkA
Resurrecting this discussion as I'm currently contemplating a Q5e...

I have a 2020 BMW X5 4.0i M-Sport, and quite honestly, I really love the car. It's optioned well, fast, and I like the looks.

My driving is incredibly urban (in fact, I hate road trips tbh...I just get bored and since we have speed limits and terrible drivers in the USA, I even get frustrated), so the convenience, cost savings, and environmental impact of a PHEV is appealing, especially when its primary mission is grocery store trips.

Of course I've looked at the BMW X5e (haven't driven it), but in a spec that has identical options as a Q5e prestige, it ends up being an ~$82k MSRP, whereas the Audi is $65k. (I love my gadgets so a Prestige is a non-negotiable for me.) To make matters worse, BMW and its arrogance does not pass on the $7500 Federal Tax credit to lessees like Audi does, so it's truly a premium PHEV in every sense of the word.

Another option is the X3e, but as most have commented, its performance doesn't come close to the Q5e, so that idea was DOA.

My last Audi was a 2005 S4, and I enjoyed that car. Looking forward to my Q5e test drive today.
Would love to hear your report back! The Q5e is fast, comfortable, and efficient. It depends how much you'd miss the extra room and the six cylinder engine. I've had mine for three months now and it is a wonderful ride.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DASouthBay
Would love to hear your report back! The Q5e is fast, comfortable, and efficient. It depends how much you'd miss the extra room and the six cylinder engine. I've had mine for three months now and it is a wonderful ride.
So funny enough, I showed up for my appointment and no Q5es were to be had. That was lame, but I did get to sit in a "regular" Q5.

I liked the appointments and was standard Audi quality (that's a good thing!).

I don't know, though, about the cabin feel, especially coming from the X5. It's noticeably smaller (expected, obviously), but even smaller feeling than the X3.

Why can't we get the Q7e here?!? Sigh.

If I end up finding one to drive, I'll post my notes!
Old 04-23-2021, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Q5e vs ?

So funny enough, I showed up for my appointment and no Q5es were to be had. That was lame, but I did get to sit in a "regular" Q5.

I don't know, though, about the cabin feel, especially coming from the X5. It's noticeably smaller (expected, obviously), but even smaller feeling than the X3.

I agree they are difficult to come by unless you want black. I live in St. Louis and wound up buying from Audi Flatirons in Denver. The salesman was Jim Page and I highly recommend him. Locally, each dealer only had one or two with most being black. I’m not a big black car person. This dealer had quite a few but most were still in transit. Wanted Daytona Gray. Settled for Glacier White. I really like the Ultra Blue but my wife didn’t. My wife liked the District Green but I thought it was hideous.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely smaller than the X3 but in practice I've found the cargo hold is just fine. You may have to order one to get what you want. And the 2022 is supposed to have more range if you're not in a rush to ditch the X5
Old 04-25-2021, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting to hear your thinking, I went through similar options before leasing my Q5e around 2 months back. Love it this far!! The bmw x3 plug in really pales in comparison with this, it actually gets worse fuel economy than regular x3 with a depleted battery which is shocking. Audi does well in this regard, plus way better performance 0-60.

Just curious after reading your original post where you don't want to do as many road trips, is e-tron an option? Assuming you get a L2 charger installed at home and you don't want to do roadtrips every week, the e-tron may work? It's larger than q5 and may be a good substitute for the x5. There may be some good deals on leasing the e-tron compared to bimmers.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good news for me is that I want black, but they are still difficult to find. And a Prestige...even more scarce.

Originally Posted by DASouthBay
It's definitely smaller than the X3 but in practice I've found the cargo hold is just fine. You may have to order one to get what you want. And the 2022 is supposed to have more range if you're not in a rush to ditch the X5
That's good to know about the '22 range increase and cargo; truth be told, the X5 cargo area is adequate but it's not like I can pick up a washing machine on the way home.

Originally Posted by karypotter
Interesting to hear your thinking, I went through similar options before leasing my Q5e around 2 months back. Love it this far!! The bmw x3 plug in really pales in comparison with this, it actually gets worse fuel economy than regular x3 with a depleted battery which is shocking. Audi does well in this regard, plus way better performance 0-60.

Just curious after reading your original post where you don't want to do as many road trips, is e-tron an option? Assuming you get a L2 charger installed at home and you don't want to do roadtrips every week, the e-tron may work? It's larger than q5 and may be a good substitute for the x5. There may be some good deals on leasing the e-tron compared to bimmers.
Glad to know you're happy with the Q5e and yes, the BMW X3e isn't even a contender. (If I were pursing the X3, I'd go after the M40i -- which interestingly, I think, is the ultimate win when compared with the SQ5 (both of them being fantastic sport SUVs). But in PHEV form, the Q5e is the clear leader.)

E-tron is an option, but there is something about the shorter stance that isn't grabbing my attention from an aesthetics perspective. That being said, I've never sat in one, so maybe I'll give that a look this week.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

e-tron owner looking into the Q5 e. For the musicians and audiophiles, how is NVH?

Our e-tron has an annoying booming noise when traveling over any minor road imperfection. Someone else called it a "subwoofer symphony," and I agree. Super quiet car aside for that but it's fatiguing on the ears.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Multiphonic
e-tron owner looking into the Q5 e. For the musicians and audiophiles, how is NVH?

Our e-tron has an annoying booming noise when traveling over any minor road imperfection. Someone else called it a "subwoofer symphony," and I agree. Super quiet car aside for that but it's fatiguing on the ears.
No booming noise over the past 12K miles. Very quiet, even with ICE running, I have a Prestige, which has double pane windows in the front, so not sure if PP might have a bit more noise.

Quick Reply: Q for current/future Q5e owners: why Audi over BMW X3 30e/X5 45e vs. Mercedes GLCe?