Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q for current/future Q5e owners: why Audi over BMW X3 30e/X5 45e vs. Mercedes GLCe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Q for current/future Q5e owners: why Audi over BMW X3 30e/X5 45e vs. Mercedes GLCe?

I enjoy doing these comparative analyses, and it may be helpful for future forum browsers so was wondering why people have chosen the Q5 PHEV over German PHEV competitors. EPA estimates seem to be conservative compared to real world range?

1) For me, I admit it’s part brand loyalty to Audi, understated styling and familiarity with tech features and controls. The premium-prestige packages are well differentiated and concise. Lots of standard features. Not option heavy for MY21 and great bang/buck

2) Never been a huge fan of BMW styling and I think some of their buttons and resolution of text looks mismatched with the rest of their tech. The X5e range is impressive for the price. Have heard about reliability issues of the BMW brand.

3) Not too familiar with Mercedes but reviewers seem to point out the fit and finish aren’t great — for example center console shifting dramatically upon touch. I’m surprised the Mercedes has longer EPA range over the Q5e with smaller battery.

Some basic info:

The Q5e has a battery of 14.1 kWh
EPA 19/20 miles EV range
0-60 in 5.0 seconds. Combined 362hp/369tq
Base trim MSRP: $51,900

X3 30e 12 kWh
EPA 17 miles EV
0-60 in 5.9. Combined 288hp/310tq
Base trim MSRP: $49,600

Longer/bigger X5 45e 24 kWh
EPA 31 miles EV
0-60 in 5.3. Combined 389hp/443tq
Base trim MSRP: $65,400

GLC 350e 13.5 kWh
EPA 22 miles EV
0-60 in 5.6. Combined 315hp/516tq
Base trim MSRP: $51,900
The following users liked this post:
Traveler21 (04-24-2021)
Old 12-23-2020, 11:46 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts

I looked at many of those when I bought my 2020 Q5e and this was my thinking (sorry some non-German competitors in here as well):

Audi Q5e - Nice Interior/options, had my minimum electric only range (20 miles), was fun to drive with great acceleration.

BMW X3 30e - Nice Interior/options, lower range, not as sporty/acceleration

BMW x5 - to big

Volvo XC60 T8 - Nice Options, Interior not as comfortable, lower range, drive feel was horrible (felt like it was confused about what kind of engine it had)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Nice options, blah interior, nicer range, very boring to drive.

Mercedes GLC 350e - Wasn't available yet when I was looking, but while the range was nice, didn't seem to be as sporty drive, and I hadn't been impressed with Mercedes interiors in the past.

In the end the Audi had the right blend of just enough good economy in MPG and Electric range, while still being very quick and sport for an SUV (in 2020 quickest of the Q5 line!).

Last edited by dcaf; 12-23-2020 at 11:51 AM.
DBlueQ5 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 12:46 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I looked at several of these compact PHEVs. I would have also taken a serious look at the Toyota (blasphemy) RAV4 Prime but there were none to look at!

I really wanted the XC60 T8 Polestar to work. It felt the quickest but the hybrid management left a lot to be desired and the adjustable suspension was awkward at best. I was also surprised to see that reliability was an issue with the XC60.

The Q5e is quicker than the BMW and Mercedes counterparts plus I was coming out of a 2014 SQ5 so the familiarity was a bonus. It's very early days (only 200 miles on the clock) but the car is smooth and quick. I'm being patient but I'm looking forward to plenty of fun driving in S mode and some green local driving in EV.

Steve
DBlueQ5 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

The PHEVs you list are all very nice and I suspect the choice comes down to personal preference in most cases. The X5 is a bigger vehicle and not really an apples to apples comparison, I've always preferred Audi styling, so I lean towards Audi. I had an X3d that I liked a lot. It was very nimble and had a sportier feel than the Q5. The Q5 is more about comfort, IMHO. As a PHEV, the Q5e has a bigger battery then the others (except X5) and a faster on board charger (7.4 kW) which is convenient if you charge several times in a day. I think the EV only range is a bit better for the Q5, but they are all pretty close. When it comes to EVs I find it is very easy to get better than the rated range and also easy to get much less than the rated range. In good weather, I can get consumption in the low 30s kWh/100 mi. driving around town. In cold wet windy weather with heat on it's easy to use >50 kWh/100 mi. So, I suspect all of these PHEVs will have an EV range of high teens to 30 miles on a full charge, depending on environmental conditions and driving style. Which ever you choose, it's nice to use zero gas for all the local chores, but have the range and convenience of the ICE for long highway trips. In most cases, the mpgs for the Q5e on highway trips has been comparable to the Q5 TDI that it replaced, so I can't complain.

Some will say that a PHEV is the worst of both worlds (EV and ICE), but I find the PHEV a surprisingly good option, especially with the tax credits. Withe fuel savings and tax credits, it almost seems silly not to go with the Q5e over the Q5.

Last edited by DMcDnald; 12-23-2020 at 01:10 PM.
DBlueQ5 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the main difference between Q5e and the other German PHEV is that Audi tuned it to be a sporty alternative SQ5 where as Mercedes and BMW took a different path.

Audi tuned the Q5 55e to have SQ5 level performance - the "55" in the name implies it has the same output as other Audi with "55" in the name, which all uses the same 3.0T V6 as SQ5. The total output of Q5 55e is 362hp which is slightly higher than SQ5's 349hp. It actually is quicker 0-60 than the pre-facelift SQ5.

When you look at GLC350e and X3 30e on the spec sheet and actually drive them, you can tell that they are not alternatives to GLC43 or X3 M40i. Both GLC350e and X3 30e make use of lower output 2.0T engine to achieve a total system output that is closer to GLC300 and X3 30i.

DBlueQ5 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

My wife chose our Q5e for sheer driving enjoyment. It's our first Audi, so no loyalty to the brand. It's turned out better than anything we hoped for in the first year; averaging 30 miles per charge, powerful charger, and a joy to drive. We looked at other PHEVs, at least on paper, and were disheartened to see the reliability struggles of some other luxury brands. Audi seems to be doing ok with reliability and ours has certainly been working well. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the 2021 Q5e because it can officially take a hitch and I'd love to put on our bike rack. No dice on the 2020. The 0-60 numbers and the combined HP numbers mean nothing for ordinary mortals like my wife and me. We are not the type to need bragging rights and so long as a vehicle can scoot along when needed, we are happy. For us here in Michigan, PHEVs are the best of both worlds. Almost all our local driving is EV and we have the gas ICE for trips. Perfect for a state that has not yet built out a charging station infrastructure for full EVs.
DBlueQ5 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcaf
I looked at many of those when I bought my 2020 Q5e and this was my thinking (sorry some non-German competitors in here as well):

Audi Q5e - Nice Interior/options, had my minimum electric only range (20 miles), was fun to drive with great acceleration.

Volvo XC60 T8 - Nice Options, Interior not as comfortable, lower range, drive feel was horrible (felt like it was confused about what kind of engine it had)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Nice options, blah interior, nicer range, very boring to drive.

Mercedes GLC 350e - Wasn't available yet when I was looking, but while the range was nice, didn't seem to be as sporty drive, and I hadn't been impressed with Mercedes interiors in the past.

In the end the Audi had the right blend of just enough good economy in MPG and Electric range, while still being very quick and sport for an SUV (in 2020 quickest of the Q5 line!).
great points! And no worries, it was more to focus on the big 3 Germans, thanks for mentioning the other competitors in the space. Wholeheartedly agree with the Volvo assessment.

it has a turbo, supercharger and EV mode? Doesn’t sound well sorted and people have criticized their combined output being inaccurate given its performance
Old 12-24-2020, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
I looked at several of these compact PHEVs. I would have also taken a serious look at the Toyota (blasphemy) RAV4 Prime but there were none to look at!

I really wanted the XC60 T8 Polestar to work. It felt the quickest but the hybrid management left a lot to be desired and the adjustable suspension was awkward at best. I was also surprised to see that reliability was an issue with the XC60.

The Q5e is quicker than the BMW and Mercedes counterparts plus I was coming out of a 2014 SQ5 so the familiarity was a bonus. It's very early days (only 200 miles on the clock) but the car is smooth and quick. I'm being patient but I'm looking forward to plenty of fun driving in S mode and some green local driving in EV.

Steve
great to hear!

Exactly! I’m not sold on the RAV4 as reviewers are given the limited production from Toyota. Also find it odd that the passenger side doesn’t have power seats when the driver’s one does. The resolution of their displays are not the greatest neither

I’m also not a fan of the Volvo one screen infotainment. Having separate touchscreens or physical climate controls are a major functional plus in my opinion
Old 12-24-2020, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
The PHEVs you list are all very nice and I suspect the choice comes down to personal preference in most cases. The X5 is a bigger vehicle and not really an apples to apples comparison, I've always preferred Audi styling, so I lean towards Audi. I had an X3d that I liked a lot. It was very nimble and had a sportier feel than the Q5. The Q5 is more about comfort, IMHO. As a PHEV, the Q5e has a bigger battery then the others (except X5) and a faster on board charger (7.4 kW) which is convenient if you charge several times in a day. I think the EV only range is a bit better for the Q5, but they are all pretty close. When it comes to EVs I find it is very easy to get better than the rated range and also easy to get much less than the rated range. In good weather, I can get consumption in the low 30s kWh/100 mi. driving around town. In cold wet windy weather with heat on it's easy to use >50 kWh/100 mi. So, I suspect all of these PHEVs will have an EV range of high teens to 30 miles on a full charge, depending on environmental conditions and driving style. Which ever you choose, it's nice to use zero gas for all the local chores, but have the range and convenience of the ICE for long highway trips. In most cases, the mpgs for the Q5e on highway trips has been comparable to the Q5 TDI that it replaced, so I can't complain.

Some will say that a PHEV is the worst of both worlds (EV and ICE), but I find the PHEV a surprisingly good option, especially with the tax credits. Withe fuel savings and tax credits, it almost seems silly not to go with the Q5e over the Q5.
Great breakdown! Yeah given the delta between gas and PHEV after EV incentives, it doesn’t make much sense to go with gas since the PHEV has the same engine + the EV parts. That’s incredible about the fuel economy compared to TDI. I’m really looking forward to hyper miling with y’all.

Depending on use case, it could be the best of both worlds — using most of the battery daily, recharging (or not) and not have to worry about range anxiety and hassle of charging on longer trips
Old 12-24-2020, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bzcat
I think the main difference between Q5e and the other German PHEV is that Audi tuned it to be a sporty alternative SQ5 where as Mercedes and BMW took a different path.

Audi tuned the Q5 55e to have SQ5 level performance - the "55" in the name implies it has the same output as other Audi with "55" in the name, which all uses the same 3.0T V6 as SQ5. The total output of Q5 55e is 362hp which is slightly higher than SQ5's 349hp. It actually is quicker 0-60 than the pre-facelift SQ5.

When you look at GLC350e and X3 30e on the spec sheet and actually drive them, you can tell that they are not alternatives to GLC43 or X3 M40i. Both GLC350e and X3 30e make use of lower output 2.0T engine to achieve a total system output that is closer to GLC300 and X3 30i.
Didn’t even think of it through this angle! Very very true given how similarly the car looks and drives (but not sounds) compared to the SQ5. I think Audi did a great job making the Q5e feel like a regular Q5 or SQ5. in fact, do you think the EV part complements and reduces the turbo lag present in the SQ5 or regular Q5 2.0T?

The only performance options not yet available are the rear diff and dynamic steering

Last edited by DBlueQ5; 12-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Q for current/future Q5e owners: why Audi over BMW X3 30e/X5 45e vs. Mercedes GLCe?