Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Pulling trigger on Michelin Premier LTX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by baz-mtl
Welp, its been two weeks since I've replaced my stock Continentals with the Michelin Premier LTX 255/45 R20. And what a difference!

Tire noise is definitely reduced. Ride is softer, yet extremely confidence inspiring. Pretty significant bump in fuel economy as well!

Same driving pattern, same roads, similar conditions, I am getting around .75-1 kmpl higher than before.

Even my wife, who isn't a car person by any measure, noticed the increased ride comfort and reduced noise.

All in all, extremely pleased with the purchase. Remains to be seen how well these hold up in terms of wear and tear,

If they get anywhere close to 40k kms, and maintain similar characteristics, i'll be extremely happy.
It’s always a great feeling getting brand new shoes for your ride. Better still when your pre purchase investment of time to research has been rewarded with met expectations.

If you don’t have a tire gauge, I preferred THIS one over another highly rated tire tread depth gauge I purchased to track wear. Both Amazon and Walmart carry this ~$15 item. Just place it on a flat surface to zero it out and take your reading. There will be some variation amongst the grooves...so don’t fret if one or more grooves are .5/32 off from what Michelein cites as new tread depth (or in readings down the line)

I think its a wise maintenance move to check tread depth every 5k or so...it can catch early on, a wheel misalignment issue. I wish I had known this on a prior vehicle. On a much delayed 10k rotation, Discount Tire flagged this on my driver side tire...it was bad enough where I ended up replacing both front tires early in their life.

Congrats. And maybe a few years down the line, post how they are holding up.
The following users liked this post:
baz-mtl (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims
It’s always a great feeling getting brand new shoes for your ride. Better still when your pre purchase investment of time to research has been rewarded with met expectations.

If you don’t have a tire gauge, I preferred THIS one over another highly rated tire tread depth gauge I purchased to track wear. Both Amazon and Walmart carry this ~$15 item. Just place it on a flat surface to zero it out and take your reading. There will be some variation amongst the grooves...so don’t fret if one or more grooves are .5/32 off from what Michelein cites as new tread depth (or in readings down the line)

I think its a wise maintenance move to check tread depth every 5k or so...it can catch early on, a wheel misalignment issue. I wish I had known this on a prior vehicle. On a much delayed 10k rotation, Discount Tire flagged this on my driver side tire...it was bad enough where I ended up replacing both front tires early in their life.

Congrats. And maybe a few years down the line, post how they are holding up.
Thanks! Your initial feedback and review had a significant impact on the decision to go with these tires

I was dithering between these and the Primacy Tour A/S. Apparently those come in an "Acoustic" variant. Supposed to be even quieter.

Will probably switch to those the next time just to validate the claims made by Michelin.

I've just ordered the tread depth gauge. Will review the tread depths when I receive it.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2018 SQ5 came with Continentals. They rode and performed well but were almost gone at 35,000. Having had Michelins in my 2014 which didn't last long I opted for Continental Extreme Contacts on the 2018.I don't have a lot of miles on them yet but they ride well, are quiet and hopefully will wear well. It was a very safe bet for me with no surprises since I was happy with the previous Continentals. Hopefully I will get more than 35,000 miles on these.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkballon
My 2018 SQ5 came with Continentals. They rode and performed well but were almost gone at 35,000. Having had Michelins in my 2014 which didn't last long I opted for Continental Extreme Contacts on the 2018.I don't have a lot of miles on them yet but they ride well, are quiet and hopefully will wear well. It was a very safe bet for me with no surprises since I was happy with the previous Continentals. Hopefully I will get more than 35,000 miles on these.
I too found the Continentals to ride well; not far off at all really from the LTX tires I switched to. But like you, the tread life was a real disappointment. I’ve posted before about all my prior brand tires over the last 20 years wearing out 20k or more short of the advertised wear life. Sometime I wonder if the rain grooves in So Cal freeway road surfaces takes its toll on tires. Other than that, roads and freeways I drive on are in very sound condition. I’ve also wondered if there is a correlation between the number of turns and tread wear, particularly the frequency of sharp radius turns at slower turns on asphalt surfaces (e.g., turning into backing out of garage, parking spots, u-turns, etc). That would seem to cause considerably more wear than driving straight.

Something has to account for why there are those getting full warranty mileage from their tires. Feeds into a tin foil hat theory I read on a tire forum that tire manufacturers suffer poor quality control ....ie. that there exists a wide disparity from one batch of tire materials to another. Sounds a little sketchy to me.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Disappointed to report that my LTX tires are worn out at the 32k mark. The rears could probably go another couple of thousand at most but with rainy roads, too much of a gamble.

I knew going in that it would be an uphill climb to reach my target of 40k. The LTXs have the poorest wear rating of any Michelin tire, with quite a few reviews reporting only a dismal 20k wear life. They are a sweet ride, to be sure; I was drawn by their quiet rating which is, and remains my highest priority (having purchased the Prestige trim to benefit from the sound deadening glass ).

Driving factors: mostly freeway (So. Cal., grooved freeways), mild climes these last two years, regularly rotated and pressure checked, above average road surface conditions, light loading). What did I do wrong? (LOL).

Leaning toward the CC2, assuming i’m correct that it’s a quiet ride, and won’t suffer the LTX low mileage curse.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

@jaims
I was one of those advocating for the Premier LTX. Had them on my 2018 Q5 w/18" wheels for 16,000 miles and thought they were great. Traded that for SQ5 and worked out an arrangement with the dealer to put the LTX on the new car. They were everything I hoped for - even decent drivability in southern New England mild snow and sloppy slush. Two months ago, at 38,000+ miles I replaced them with CC2. I like them. BUT, they are definitely louder than the LTX. Not obtrusive, but noticeable.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my 2019 Q5 PP with OEM Michelin LTX Premiers. It lasted 29,300 miles in Cleveland, OH. With winter coming, I switched to the CC2...absolutely fabulous (as usual for a Michelin). I am waiting till late spring to see a difference in MPG due to the winter blend gas. Only con...the tires look aggressive compared to the other "city slicker" Michelin's.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has compared the Premier LTX with the Primacy Tour A/S .
I like the AO Premier LTX I'm driving on now , but they are toast at 35K .
If the Primacy Tour A/S drive comparably with better longevity , I'd likely go that route .
The other thought would be the Pilot Sport A/S 4's , but dropped down a size from 255/45/20 to
25/50/19 in an effort to keep the same comfort levels of a 20" tire . ?
Old 07-05-2023, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonky
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has compared the Premier LTX with the Primacy Tour A/S .
I like the AO Premier LTX I'm driving on now , but they are toast at 35K .
If the Primacy Tour A/S drive comparably with better longevity , I'd likely go that route .
The other thought would be the Pilot Sport A/S 4's , but dropped down a size from 255/45/20 to
25/50/19 in an effort to keep the same comfort levels of a 20" tire . ?
If no one chimes in, run a search on here using the term primacy. A few other members have tried them and like them. There are lots of posts about the premier, which you can also find with a search.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Sandroad . Based on feedback here and elsewhere I can't bring myself to go with the Premier LTX based on their reported short ish lifespan .
Despite being pleased with the OEM LTX's I have now . I guess I was looking for someone to convince me that the Pilot sport A/S 4's would be nearly as quiet
(once you step down from 20" to 19") as the Primacy Tour A/S and save me a little dough in the process .

Quick Reply: Pulling trigger on Michelin Premier LTX