Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Oil leak 3 yr 25K mi

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil leak 3 yr 25K mi

My 2019 SQ5 just started complaining about being 1-1/4 quarts low on oil and was indicating the level was at the very low end of the scale.
It hadn't lost any oil for the first two years.
The oil pan is fine, but a little farther back there's oil on the underbody cover and then what seems to be a fitting in front of the oil cooler (?).
I added 3/4 qt. I had leftover, the level is up to mid-range, and it isn't complaining any more.
I need to bring it in anyway for the recall, and it is also due for the next oil change, so I'll have the dealer take a look.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this; I didn't see a leak like this in doing a little searching.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Haven't had anything like that, but it looks like that fitting might not be sealing properly. Sometimes crap happens.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I brought my SQ5 in for warranty service last June. Here's the tech's report (in all-caps, as they typed it) and my comments questions.

PULLED IN SHOP. NOTICED SERVICE DUE LIGHT ON IN DASH. LOOKED IN MMI. FOUND OIL CHANGE OVERDUE BY 1700 MILES. CHECKED OIL LEVEL WITH DIP STICK. OIL IS AT MINIMUM LEVEL. TOPPED OFF TO PROPER LEVEL.
Yeah, when I made the appointment I said that I did my own oil changes and was going to have them perform the service before changing the oil. No point in me putting in new oil if they might need to drain it to fix a leak.

PUT ON LIFT REMOVED LOWER BELLY PANS. FOUND SMALL LEAK AT LOWER BELL HOUSING. LOOKS LIKE COULD BE SEEPING FROM REAR MAIN.
That's not good... I distinctly remember checking around the pan and engine when I noticed the leak and not seeing any evidence in those areas, just the tube as shown above.

RAN ENGINE AT IDLE. TRIED REMOVING OIL FILL CAP. CAP WAS REALLY HARD TO GET OFF.
I have never noticed the filter cap hard to get off. It was hard to remove on my wife's 2017 Nissan Pathfinder on a recent oil change, but that seemed to be gasket stiction.

ENGINE HAS EXCESSIVE CRANKCASE PRESSURE. THIS WOULD CAUSE SMALL SEEPAGE FROM REAR MAN AND OIL CONSUMPTION ALONG WITH OLD OIL. REMOVED OLD CRANKCASE BREATHER INSTALLED NEW BREATHER. RAN ENGINE. OIL CAP MUCH EASIER TO REMOVE NOW. ENGINE HAS PROPER CRANKCASE VENTILATION. CLEANED UP OIL AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. INSTALLED LOWER BELLY PANS.
06M-103-515-H SEPARATOR
06M-103-517-B GASKET
OK... So was there a puff of pressure when removing the filler cap?

RECOMMEND TO CHANGE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER AS WELL.
I changed the oil and filter - as planned - after the service.
The oil level stayed the same all through last year.
Fast forward 10K miles / 1 year, and I found oil seeping again on this latest change plus the level had gone down halfway between min and max this time (not as bad as last year going below min).
The oil drips look similar on the tube. I also found two plastic washers on the belly pan but I don't think they're to blame.

Now I'm thinking to disconnect that tube and have a look, since 1) that's where I see the oil and 2) apparently it wasn't inspected last year. I probably should have done that during the oil change but ran out of time. Anyone know if it'll start gushing oil if I disconnect the black & green fitting? I've got almost a year / 10K miles left under warranty, so I don't just want to let this go if there's a chance it'll get worse.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I'd take that in and let them deal with it under warranty. From that picture, if that is the source of the leak, it's either:
- Bad o-ring in the black connect with the green retainers
- leaking where the hose goes into that connector (bad crimp)? This I've seen on other vehicles.

Both cases will require that hose to be replaced.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife’s 2018 looks to have developed an oil leak in the same location. Car is out of warranty for sometime I plane on dropping the cross brace to spot the exact location. As the original OP asked if anyone know will disconnecting the tube does it dump oil?
Old 04-05-2024, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I may have this same leak (2018 SQ5, 55k miles). Any updates from either two posters that had this issue? @notmac1 @atoner

Last edited by augerpro; 04-05-2024 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by augerpro
I may have this same leak (2018 SQ5, 55k miles). Any updates from either two posters that had this issue? @notmac1 @atoner
The dealer replaced the filter housing and assembly. I still have a small leak after paying the dealer for this repair. I did ask for the old parts to be returned to me but never got them . NO MORE dealer services for me I’ll find it myself and never let these hack mechanics touch the car again. Check your filter canister and all around the adapter as this leak will follow the engine all the way down to the rear cooler. Pull the filter canister check for cracks replace all o ring’s torque to spec. This is a common failure if the filter canister is over tightened.
The following users liked this post:
augerpro (04-05-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

The tube I mentioned above is actually for transmission fluid, not oil like I initially thought.
I think the leak is and was always coming from the transmission-side crankshaft seal; the dealer note actually agrees.
I also think the dealer was off on a red herring with the breather and didn't want to incur the cost of fixing the seal.
I've looked around the filter several times and don't think it is leaking from there.

My 2019 SQ5 now has about 40K miles but is out of warranty at 5 years.
It is still seeping oil in the same location and loses 0.5-1 qt between oil changes.
I brought it in for a paid diagnostic on a clicking noise matching engine speed and especially loud from idle to 2000 RPM, this oil leak, and damaged wires to the oil temperature sensor and oil pressure switch.
They ignored the latter 2 issues and suggested a new engine to the tune of $37K (well, I guess those would be fixed with a whole new engine.)
I'll be getting some estimates from local, independent shops and will let you know what I hear.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I intend to change drivetrain fluids soon on my friend's lift, and I'll take a closer look then. I bought the extended warranty, so after that I'll take it to the Audi dealer. Does anyone know where to get the light that might be able to tell me if this is motor or tranny oil, given the tracer in the motor oil?
Old 04-20-2024, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just changed to oil on my 2018 SQ5. The dealer changed the oil filter housing and the complete filter adapter that mounted to the engine. It looks like the leak has been resolved. I placed a couple shop tags to catch any continued leaks and when I removed them they were dry a not oil soaked. With the change completed I’ll check it in a few months fingers crossed it’s still dry.b