Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

OBDeleven - what MKII SQ5/Q5 changes have you made?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbh-64
Is there anyone here in Florida that can help me turning on the Active Lane Assist? I am not a tech guy and VCD/coding etc feels intimidating to me. Will greatly appreciate a fellow members HELP in this matter.
I'm trying to figure this out as well using the ODB11.

Want to turn on ALA on a 2018 Q5 Technik.

Looking at the ALA coding thread I am not sure what or where to find "A5 - Frt Sens. Drv. Assist"? Can't seem to find that anywhere... Maybe that is A5 specific and the Q5 is something else hit I can't seem to find anything that starts with Frt?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcsd

Looking at the ALA coding thread I am not sure what or where to find "A5 - Frt Sens. Drv. Assist"? Can't seem to find that anywhere... Maybe that is A5 specific and the Q5 is something else hit I can't seem to find anything that starts with Frt?
Im getting mine on Wednesday. Bought the pro version which came with credits. I’m just gonna buy the app.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey there pbcsd. Each & every control unit has a 2 character identifier. The identifier for control unit Front Sensors Driver Assistance System is "A5". Identifier A5 has no correlation to the Audi A5 model.
I turned on ALA using Mitchfin's step by step instructions on my fully equipped 2018 Q5 Technik almost 2 years ago and had no problem finding control unit (A5) Front Sensors Driver Assistance System with my OBDeleven. Are you located in Canada as I am? Is your '18 Q5 Technik equipped with Audi pre sense city? If it isn't then your Q5 lacks the hardware to support turning on ALA.

Last edited by rbreeze; 08-30-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rbreeze
Hey there pbcsd. Each & every control unit has a 2 character identifier. The identifier for control unit Front Sensors Driver Assistance System is "A5". Identifier A5 has no correlation to the Audi A5 model.
I turned on ALA using Mitchfin's step by step instructions on my fully equipped 2018 Q5 Technik almost 2 years ago and had no problem finding control unit (A5) Front Sensors Driver Assistance System with my OBDeleven. Are you located in Canada as I am? Is your '18 Q5 Technik equipped with Audi pre sense city? If it isn't then your Q5 lacks the hardware to support turning on ALA.
Thanks... Yes I'm in Canada. Pre sense city? Not sure.. Was that an option in a package? Would have to go back to see what I purchased for my wife unless there is a way to tell within the car itself?
Old 08-31-2019, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks... Yes I'm in Canada. Pre sense city? Not sure.. Was that an option in a package? Would have to go back to see what I purchased for my wife unless there is a way to tell within the car itself?
Since you mentioned Technik I thought you were in Canada. For the 2018 Q5 built for Canada.. Pre sense city came only with the "Urban Driver Assistance Package" - at the time a $1,600 option. The package includes Adaptive cruise control with stop & go, Audi pre sense front, Audi pre sense city and Traffic sign recognition. If your wife's '18 Q5 doesn't have Adaptive cruise control then it won't have those other features also - and as a result ALA will not be available to turn on.
Sorry for the lousy news.
- Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 08-31-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually after googling pre sense I'm 99% sure we didn't get that.. So no ALA!
Old 08-31-2019, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually after googling pre sense I'm 99% sure we didn't get that.. So no ALA!
Oh well.. just so you'll know your Q5 does have Audi pre sense rear!
FYI.. for reference I've attached the Audi Canada 2018 Product Order Guide pdf file. You'll see specific detail for the 2018 Q5 on pages 37 to 40.
Regards,
Richard
Attached Files
Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

If only there was a way to code the trunk lift so that I could close it using the key or the button on the door. Drives me crazy that I have to go to the back to press the button on the trunk itself to close it. Never had that on any of our SUVs in the past.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

If only there was a way to code the trunk lift so that I could close it using the key or the button on the door. Drives me crazy that I have to go to the back to press the button on the trunk itself to close it. Never had that on any of our SUVs in the past.
You should be able to close the cargo hatch using your key fob but only if you're within about 8-10 feet behind the rear of your Q5. That's how mine works. Give it a try!
You can use the button on the door to CLOSE the cargo hatch only if the ignition is switched on - as well you must keep pulling on the button until the hatch is fully closed. With the ignition/car turned off, you can only OPEN the cargo hatch using the button on the door.
/RB

Last edited by rbreeze; 08-31-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
I finally got a couple of fill-ups to test how my OBDEleven coding change affects the mpg computer. I set it at 108 (8% reduction) and the calculation has gone from being about 2 mpg over-optimistic to between 1/4 and 1/2 mpg under. When I get a chance, I will change it to 107 which should be pretty spot on.

I'm curious how winter will affect it. During the winter, the computer was only 5% off instead of the 7-8% I've seen in the spring and summer. I might have to settle on 106 as a compromise. The bottom line is that the coding works.

However this coding does not appear to affect the miles remaining indicator which usually seems to underestimate how many miles are left in the tank (sometimes it's right on - but more often under by 25 - 30 miles). This is based on calculating a full tank. I don't mind being conservative with this estimate - especially since you don't want to drain down a tank and you may not get all of the last gallon.
Now that you have about 2 months worth of fill ups, do you find that your mileages shown in the dash readouts are more accurate? And are there any effects to the miles-to-go window? My guess would be that that number should go down slightly i.e. if it used to show 525 on a fill, it would now read somewhere around 500. I know you said it didn't change that reading at first. Wondering if longer term it has had an effect?

Quick Reply: OBDeleven - what MKII SQ5/Q5 changes have you made?