Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Newbie - door auto lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by toomanymc
dealers do have the capability to do it but they won’t for reasons
Theres lots they cant currently do on MY24 models. A lot of the modules not have SFD2 protection. I can't even get beep on lock activated.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 04-22-2024, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

I believe the doors being locked anytime car is not in Park is a safety feature, hopefully you can adjust so when you need to let someone into the car you either hit the unlock button or put car in Park for a few seconds while they get in.
I'm old enough to remember when seat belt use became mandatory, the outrage this caused with the driving public back then and now most of us don't even think not to put our seat belts on before we even start the car.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

If you put the car in Park, it will unlock the doors: no fumbling for door locks, no kids giving WTF looks (I wish mine had ever tried that) and no fear of the crossing guard or other parents giving you grief. Better that than turning off safety features for an extra second of convenience; no neighborhood is completely safe these days.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

My 2020 SQ5 had auto locking only until I added the setting to the MMI (via VCDS) to be able to toggle that feature off or on.
Our 2016 A3 and 2011 Q5 already had the setting to turn off or on in the MMI.
I found the extra clicking at each end of a trip to be something I did not need and turn it off. Rarely drive in the city and can toggle on if desired.
Never mind all the wear to a bunch of plastic parts that will fail much sooner and be a problem if you keep your car long enough.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The dumbest auto locking/unlocking feature on my 2018 Q5 is automatically unlocking all the doors when I put it into Park. Can't even change that using the menu system.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Paladin-S8
If you put the car in Park, it will unlock the doors: no fumbling for door locks, no kids giving WTF looks (I wish mine had ever tried that) and no fear of the crossing guard or other parents giving you grief. Better that than turning off safety features for an extra second of convenience; no neighborhood is completely safe these days.
The car unlocking when put in park is not a safety feature. All the doors can be unlocked without “fumbling “ for the door lock button.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought it dumb when I read it in the manual but my UK car doesn't do that. Even if it did I don't think it would impact me much as its only in Park at the end of a journey. At junctions etc it's left in Drive as the auto stop/start and auto hold brakes takes care of everything.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
The car unlocking when put in park is not a safety feature. All the doors can be unlocked without “fumbling “ for the door lock button.
I never said it was; OP wants to turn off the auto-lock feature when you drive off - that IS a safety feature. I'm also very aware that if you put the car in park, it unlocks all the doors - as I'd stated in my previous post. I don't get the point of yours.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Paladin-S8
I never said it was; OP wants to turn off the auto-lock feature when you drive off - that IS a safety feature. I'm also very aware that if you put the car in park, it unlocks all the doors - as I'd stated in my previous post. I don't get the point of yours.
We are well past the OPs original post. You were the one who mentioned fumbling for door locks. As I stated, all doors can be unlocked without fumbling for the door locks.

Quick Reply: Newbie - door auto lock